First non-Apple Mini DisplayPort-compatible displays unveiled

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

These displays are really crappy. The 19" has a maximum resolution of 1440x900. even the 17" MBP has 1920x1200, and the 24" display only goes up to 1920x1080.

EDIT:

As an afterthought, I suppose these monitors are not really aimed at professionals.. They would go perfect with the Mac Mini. The Apple LED display costs $300 more then the Mac Mini, and no one would really spend that much more on a monitor.

They shouldn't even bother with a 19".
  • Reply 42 of 84
    Quote:

Off his website....

Even considering the rest of the page, do we want to be buying stuff from him?

He still seems pretty shady..

Well if that's the case, it makes his section on Ethics even more humorous.
  • Reply 43 of 84
    Matte might have been worth the compromise of no-LED and MVA...but it's useless glossy
  • Reply 44 of 84
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    If you don't care about looks, Dell's displays are generally a steal with the right coupon combinations. The three year warranty is nice as well. Forget about this guy.
  • Reply 45 of 84
    If I were to be purchasing a monitor anytime soon I would 100% purchase one of these. Once again why pay Apple 3 times as much for a monitor that will work perfect for the average consumer.
  • Reply 46 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

http://www.cinemaview.com/

I don't see VESA mounts which is worrisome to me but who knows they could look good in person.

That is one thicka$$ bezel. While it's good news that the price is much lower than the (original) LED Cinema Display, couldn't they at least try to change the design instead of just thickening the bezel?!
  • Reply 47 of 84
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

For reference:

http://www.macintouch.com/mactable.html

And:

http://www.macintouch.com/readerrepo...topic4449.html

The trouble that follows this guy seems almost pathological. What I don't understand is why he doesn't work his magic in the Windows world, a far larger market and where recent ads from Microsoft have demonstrated a clientele vigorously devoid of quality discrimination.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris4851 View Post

If I were to be purchasing a monitor anytime soon I would 100% purchase one of these. Once again why pay Apple 3 times as much for a monitor that will work perfect for the average consumer.

Assuming you're not Jack considering your whopping three posts I would encourage you to visit:

http://www.macintouch.com/mactable.html

I totally forgot about him, which is probably what he's hoping others will do.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris4851 View Post

I wouldn't. My Viewsonic 24" was $230 and has a VESA mount should I decide to put it on an articluating arm.

Why should I pay twice as much for CinemaView if it doesn't have better specs?
  • Reply 50 of 84
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Everyone should use the contact form on Jack's newest site to ask him how the Custom Mac Furniture and Energy Cost Savings businesses are doing!
  • Reply 51 of 84
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:

These displays are really crappy. The 19" has a maximum resolution of 1440x900. even the 17" MBP has 1920x1200, and the 24" display only goes up to 1920x1080.

EDIT:

As an afterthought, I suppose these monitors are not really aimed at professionals.. They would go perfect with the Mac Mini. The Apple LED display costs $300 more then the Mac Mini, and no one would really spend that much more on a monitor.

Please. 19" displays have had a 1440x900 display resolution for ages as standard. Very few models differ from this. Laptops have had higher density displays, and for good reason: you keep them closer to your face. Compared to the 17" Macbook pro, any desktop display has poor resolution, save perhaps medical equipment.

The pixel density doesn't have much to do with the quality of the display anyway.
  • Reply 52 of 84
    Quote:

I wouldn't. My Viewsonic 24" was $230 and has a VESA mount should I decide to put it on an articluating arm.

Exactly. If I'm going to spend money this little jewel hits the sweet spot:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824176104
  • Reply 53 of 84
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Adaptors aren't hugely unattractive IMO.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/30/m...ilable-for-20/

At least not enough to make me want to use a very expensive Apple display or some unknown brand display.

I'd rather just buy an adaptor to a port that is much more widely supported so that I have more options.

Mini-DP adapters are pretty limited though. HDMI is only available 3rd party, Standard DP doesn't exist, and the VGA/DVI ones don't deem to work very well with the dual link being practically useless. No matter how good these or aren't, other than the $900 cinema display, they're the only game in town for Mini-DP. If nothing more, hopefully they inspire some more competition from more reputable companies.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Exactly. If I'm going to spend money this little jewel hits the sweet spot:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824176104

The HP 2475 does look like a great IPS panel with quality colour for pros.

So why did HP make it look like the ugliest display in the market? Especially since they have good designs to choose from.
  • Reply 55 of 84
    Quote:

No kidding!

I'd waited for 2 years for Apple to release a WORTHY professional replacement for the old 23". So, they gave us a glossy screened thing that needed yet another dongle to connect to DVI.

NO THANX APPLE.

I bought ViewSonic, too! A26" VP2650wb.

MATTE screen, color correct, 1920 x 1200. DVI, VGA, 4-port USB hub (unpowered... pfffft), VESA 100 mount AND the thing moves up and down several inches (WHAT a concept, Apple!)... plus, the whole display even pivots 90°! ... for around $600 (total).

Gee Apple, you can do better than 24" of eye-rippingly high gloss nastiness!
  • Reply 56 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

So why did HP make it look like the ugliest display in the market? Especially since they have good designs to choose from.

Really? You call that good deesign?
  • Reply 57 of 84
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Really? You call that good deesign?

IMO, the one I linked to had far better looks. The 2475 looks like a relic from the 80's.
  • Reply 58 of 84
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    This would go great with a Psystar mini-tower
  • Reply 59 of 84
    kasakkakasakka Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

No kidding!

I'd waited for 2 years for Apple to release a WORTHY professional replacement for the old 23". So, they gave us a glossy screened thing that needed yet another dongle to connect to DVI.

NO THANX APPLE.

I bought ViewSonic, too! A26" VP2650wb.

MATTE screen, color correct, 1920 x 1200. DVI, VGA, 4-port USB hub (unpowered... pfffft), VESA 100 mount AND the thing moves up and down several inches (WHAT a concept, Apple!)... plus, the whole display even pivots 90°! ... for around $600 (total).

Gee Apple, you can do better than 24" of eye-rippingly high gloss nastiness!

Viewsonic hasn't made anything but average monitors for years. Their last pro-quality display was the S-PVA panel VP2130b. Now all their models seem to be TN panels and at 6-bit colors those will never be color accurate. Glossiness aside, Apple does have IPS panels in their 24" models. Of course, most people don't care about display quality at all, as long as the size is big and the screen has vibrant (oversaturated) colors.

The monitors in the article seem like crap to me. They're a bit on the ugly side (as copycats usually are), the specs are shit so the mini-DP is the only thing going for them. Even then IMO there is absolutely no call for the mini-DP connector on anything but the laptop end. Why can't we just have a mini-DP->Displayport adapter?
  • Reply 60 of 84
    ... is a 30 inch LED Cinema Display, preferably by Apple, that also works with older Macs. Get moving, Apple!