Snow Leopard Pre-installed?

valval
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
As everybody knows Snow Leopard is coming out on June 8th 2009. But I was wondering if the software will be included in all macbooks after that date, or do would you still need to purchase the software? Say, if i want to buy my macbook during the back to school sale, will Snow Leopard be included? If it would that would suck

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by val View Post

As everybody knows Snow Leopard is coming out on June 8th 2009. But I was wondering if the software will be included in all macbooks after that date, or do would you still need to purchase the software? Say, if i want to buy my macbook during the back to school sale, will Snow Leopard be included? If it would that would suck

It'll be preinstalled most likely when it goes Golden Master. By the time you buy your laptop you'll know if your going to get SL preinstalled or through some sort of cheap disc upgrade.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    It really depends. My friend had Tiger preinstalled on his iMac and was just given a Leopard disk when he bought his iMac back right after Leopard was released.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by val View Post

As everybody knows Snow Leopard is coming out on June 8th 2009.

That date is pure speculation, and my bet is that it is wrong. My guess is that developers at WWDC (and I hope to be in that number) will get a preview version of Snow Leopard and that the actual release date will be announced during the WWDC keynote. My guess (and it is pure guess) is that the release date will be a month or two after WWDC.

But pretending that "everybody knows" is just silly.

Quote:

But I was wondering if the software will be included in all macbooks after that date, or do would you still need to purchase the software? Say, if i want to buy my macbook during the back to school sale, will Snow Leopard be included? If it would that would suck

Once Snow Leopard goes "golden master" then the computers produced starting a few days after that in Asia will start having it on them. But most computers are shipped over via ship, so it will take some time before the ships come in, and then even more time while "the channel" (distributors, stores, etc) clear out their inventory of computers produced before that date.

In the mean time Apple usually distributes update disks that are meant to be dropped into the box with computers produced before the switchover. In most cases the stores/distributors cut open the box, drop the disk in, and re-seal the box.

So the answer is it all depends on information that no-one has at this point, and it is very dependent on the supply chain that you are buying from.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    In my case, the sales guy at the Apple Store cut open my iMac box and didn't even tell me why. I had to ask. Nor did he tape it closed again. My iMac came with Tiger installed and a Leopard update DVD. I do hope Apple waits this time until the OS is truly ready. Right out of the box, I updated Tiger to Leopard. Since my Tiger discs do not function, I never went back to Tiger. Under Leopard, iMovie refused to open. Had to wait until Apple released 10.5.1.