Apple near ready with release of Mac OS X 10.5.7 Juno

Comments

• Reply 21 of 114
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fuzbr View Post

We long-time, rural-based Apple fans are a bit discouraged by the dramatic increase in update sizes. Many of us still have relatively slow DSL or satellite links, and worse yet, they have very restrictive limits. Our typical account in this area has a 2GB up/down limit/month, with 128k speed. Overage is $30/GB. I'd hazard a guess that there are more than a few of us who are cringing at this update size. We're to the point where one of us downloads a combo update then shares with everyone. It's more than a little time-wasting. I hope 10.7's code cleanup also trends toward smaller updates. I'm all for code fixes, but...

I think Apple wouldn't mind sending you the update on a CD or DVD as long as you pay shipping.
  • Reply 22 of 114
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Maybe this is the last update to Leopard? That's why they are packing everything into it.

I think we will see at least one more.

It looks as though 10.6 won't be out until the end of the summer, possibly in September. That's a lot of time.
  • Reply 23 of 114
    There's even a network related Kernel Panic that can occur in Mac OS X 10.5.6 — my collegue got it today when waiting for a folder containing several thousand items to be listed. This was on a server volume shared via AFP.

This has also happened on a retouscher's Mac Pro

The good news is there seems to be some fixes for ”Networking” and ”AFP” in 10.5.7.
  • Reply 24 of 114
    I received my iMac with ATI's Radeon HD 4850 yesterday and its works fine on 10.5.6.
  • Reply 25 of 114
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I REALLY REALLY hope that they fixed that very annoying SMB permissions bug. There are posts all over the place about it. Share as SMB, create file or folder from windows, all seems okay. Try to access from local Mac, no dice as you can't access the file. Try again from the windows machine, forget about it. You have to Sudo Chmod the folder from the terminal to get it working again. FAIL!

Does anyone really know what causes the problem? It seems that it times out eventually and the file becomes accessible from the Mac. Also only certain file types are affected. For example if you open a .mdb file on Windows and save it and then close Access, the file still gives a permission denied error when you try to copy it to the Mac. But if you zip the file it copies without issue. Furthermore the original .mdb file will eventually be free of permissions issues on its own after some period of time, which leads me to believe that Windows is not purging the file busy tag right away at least not in a way that the Mac can understand.
  • Reply 26 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

Don't know what to say, rain, but I've been using Safari 4 beta since day one and haven't had one crash or hang. So whose track record is to be believed here? Of course, I don't load up any of my three browsers with add-ons and plug-ins, the source of almost all such conflicts.

And--no--Firefox is NOT as fast as Safari 4 beta in my tests. So, again, I guess our experience and opinions must agree to disagree.

firefox 3.1 b3 is faster
  • Reply 27 of 114
    berw6berw6 Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Juno, eh? We're pregnant with anticipation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

That was on TV last night, ironic much?

Or maybe some mythological explaination: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juno_(mythology))
  • Reply 28 of 114
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Maybe this is the last update to Leopard? That's why they are packing everything into it.

I expect 10.5.8 will be the last Leopard release and will probably be released within a month of Snow Leopard. That's what happened with 10.4.11.
  • Reply 29 of 114
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    There has to be a new Safari 4 beta on the horizon. Apple is not going to release 10.5.7 and not allow the users to install the Safari beta.

I hope there is a new Safari beta around the corner to improve some of its wonkiness - like the find/search function (command - F).
  • Reply 30 of 114
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I expect 10.5.8 will be the last Leopard release and will probably be released within a month of Snow Leopard. That's what happened with 10.4.11.

I don't think so. Snow Leopard probably won't be released until August or September after giving developers a feature-complete version at WWDC. I think there will be a 10.5.9 at least that will be release right around Snow Leopard (ie. week or two before or after).

I also hope that Apple continues significant upgrades to Leopard (significant like the first few dot updates of Leopard feature-wise; not significant like 10.4 -> 10.5) for us PPC users after Snow Leopard is released.
  • Reply 31 of 114
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    On the plus side for Safari, I can type whatever I want into the address line without using .com and Safari figures it out. I do not have any bookmarks. I can also type wikipedia and Safari is smart enough to add .org! If I do that with Firefox, most up to date beta, I end up with a search results page. So, Safari is faster for me. Also, my Internet is not very fast and I have to agree with those who wonder why Apple Updates are so huge. Someone told me once, Apple could send out DVDs with the updates on them. Is that true?
  • Reply 32 of 114
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

On the plus side for Safari, I can type whatever I want into the address line without using .com and Safari figures it out. I do not have any bookmarks. I can also type wikipedia and Safari is smart enough to add .org! If I do that with Firefox, most up to date beta, I end up with a search results page.

That is not true at all for the current release version of firefox, I can't see them changing it in the beta. Both safari and firefox will auto-complete if you leave out the .com or .org. The only time firefox will send you to the google page is if it can't select one specific site based on your input. If you do the same with safari, you get an error page. I've entered entire sentences into the address field in firefox and it has taken me to the site I wanted without going to a google search page. I love the new safari, but the auto-complete on firefox is far superior.
  • Reply 33 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

On the plus side for Safari, I can type whatever I want into the address line without using .com and Safari figures it out.... Also, my Internet is not very fast and I have to agree with those who wonder why Apple Updates are so huge. Someone told me once, Apple could send out DVDs with the updates on them. Is that true?

Safari has done that for quite a while.

I want Safari's snap-back feature back. It's such a great thing and very overlooked!

It's worth the extra wait to download the Combo Updater.
  • Reply 34 of 114
    tenten Posts: 42member
    @ Rain,

hmmm... I can tell you it must not be wide spread, as all my machines are Safari 4... no hangs and it ROCKS. However, I have had it on occasion, have it crash. Not frequent, maybe twice, and I use it daily with 20-50 tabs open at any time.
  • Reply 35 of 114
    tenten Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I REALLY REALLY hope that they fixed that very annoying SMB permissions bug. There are posts all over the place about it. Share as SMB, create file or folder from windows, all seems okay. Try to access from local Mac, no dice as you can't access the file. Try again from the windows machine, forget about it. You have to Sudo Chmod the folder from the terminal to get it working again. FAIL!

This is something that should have been fixed in 10.5.1... but nope.

"Works with Windows" Right now, that's just false advertising. FIX IT!

(Can you tell I'm irate on this problem? And don't go telling me its a windows error... because it isn't. Look around for SMB issues on line and you'll find a good number of issues, most of which come and go as they please.)

In posting about this a long time ago in the Apple responder app thingy, nothing changed. Ugh.

hmmmm... I don't have such SMB file sharing problems...I have generally found that my Macs work better and more productively in a Windows networking environment then guest or even native windows machines!
  • Reply 36 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Juno, eh? We're pregnant with anticipation.

classy!
  • Reply 37 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I hope there is a new Safari beta around the corner to improve some of its wonkiness - like the find/search function (command - F).

What is wrong with the find/search function?

It works ok for me
  • Reply 38 of 114
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ten View Post

@ Rain,

hmmm... I can tell you it must not be wide spread, as all my machines are Safari 4... no hangs and it ROCKS. However, I have had it on occasion, have it crash. Not frequent, maybe twice, and I use it daily with 20-50 tabs open at any time.

It rocked for me too, for about a month with only a few hiccups, then a few weeks ago I started to get hangs, "Safari not responding" etc... usually when I'm multitasking.

Sometimes it works great for a bit, then hangs on simple sites. Firefox on the other hand has no problems, and the current new beta is instant browsing, much like Safari. The new FF update just came out a few days ago, so give it a whirl.

The only plug i have running is Flip4mac.

Oh, a site that Safari has problems with is KCRW.com, when streaming their audio. Also, anyone else notice that when you click on a menubar bookmark drop-down and leave it for a few seconds, it cuts audio out.

I'm not saying Safari is a bad beta, but it's not as strong as the FF beta yet.
  • Reply 39 of 114
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

Bring it on! I am always happy to update the most stable desktop OS I have ever used

You're confused. This update is for OS X 10.5, not OS 8.6.

-kpluck
  • Reply 40 of 114
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

I want Safari's snap-back feature back. It's such a great thing and very overlooked!

It's worth the extra wait to download the Combo Updater.

Yes. I'm also upset about the removal of snapback. I wonder why they removed it. I was hoping that it was hiding somewhere else.

I always recommend the combo updater.