AT&T pushing to keep iPhone exclusive through 2011

Comments

• Reply 101 of 147
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    I'm sorry, but AT&T's network is terribad, I would so love multiple carriers for the iPhone.
  • Reply 102 of 147
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I don't see a reason not to if they're going to be staying GSM only for the iPhone 3G. the 4G, however, should not have an exclusive deal.

Probably both will be locked to AT&T in the USA, but it's way more likely strategy-wise if they want to open things up, that they would do the reverse of what you suggest.

Making a cheaper 3G version that runs on almost any network and is sold around the world while simultaneously keeping the (purported) "iPhone Pro" exclusive to their partners would probably give the best result in terms of monetising the platform.
  • Reply 103 of 147
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

++ This is a great post!

People on here know I have bashed the hell out of AT&T and do not own an iPhone due to the fact that it is on their network. That said, people quickly forget how much Apple was trying to change the cell model when the iPhone first came out. The fact that Apple is having to fall in line a bit and go to a subscriber model and other such things is in no way the fault of AT&T.

Mark, you've made some great points and have a better memory than most.

Thanks. There's probably even more that we don't see and don't know about, and stuff they never discussed. I bet Apple thought tethering over cell was included and allowable in the unlimited $30 data plan, but then found out that AT&T strongly disagreed after Apple released the tethering app on the App Store.

One other big concession AT&T made was to allow Apple to share in data plan fees rather than a phone subsidy. (This was not entirely new, as Blackberry collects fees.) But that changed in June 2008, and so I didn't include it in the list. But it's this change that is causing AT&T to take a special charge against earnings because for this last year it's been paying fees to Apple for the original iPhone, and subsidies for the iPhone 3G. Double-whammy.
  • Reply 104 of 147
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

The can sublease the lines. The carrier then provides the service, Apple then sells the phones, contracts, whatever... There supporting the phone already, what's left?

Like already said, Apple looked into being an MVNO but decided it was more advantageous to be an AT&T partner given AT&T's concessions to let Apple handle the device. Apple said AT&T was well-equipped to handle contracts/billing and network operation - no middleman needed.
  • Reply 105 of 147
    There's little impetus for either company to kill the goose laying the golden egg, here. Apple gets some data plan revenues and made a phone everyone wants, with little restrictions over how to actually make the phone. AT&T pays a lot up front for iPhone subsidies, but gains millions of customers and billions of dollars yearly.

Meanwhile, Verizon is spending bank to redo their network for LTE, which is already the technological progression of GSM. When LTE comes around, maybe we'll have competition, but until that time, what's the point? I had Verizon and agree that their customer service and network are far superior right now... but the phones suck. My enV was clunky and chunky. My iPhone is a far superior device. It's truly the difference between high school baseball and the major leagues.
  • Reply 106 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

I'm on AT&T. What "onerous terms" are you referring to?

As for insensitive, I highly doubt it. AT&T was the carrier that agreed to Apple's demands for:

1. wi-fi,

2. voice over wi-fi,

3. iTunes at-home activation,

4. iTunes media,

5. iTunes media over-the-air,

6. iTunes App Store,

7. mobile me,

8. iTunes ringtones,

9. unlimited data (no metered data) plan,

10. no MMS,

11. Apple control of TV marketing,

12. Apple control over allowed retail outlets,

13. no AT&T branding on iPhone (other than tiny icon), etc

while providing no access to any of AT&T's own walled-garden stores (MediaNet, etc). Verizon, which Apple approached first, would've agreed to few, if any, of the above.

Altho Apple primarily does things for its own profit (like any business does), in the end, it was actually more sensitive to consumer's "needs" given the relative popularity of Apple's efforts over those of any carrier. In reality, Verizon is the one that is "insensitive" as they limit everything in exchange for providing a good network.

Absolutely spot on.

Man, the whining in this thread is clanging in my ears.....

And, in case you're wondering, I use the iPhone. All said and done, I think ATT is no worse than any other carrier from a service standpoint. I think they are trying hard to get better.
  • Reply 107 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polvadis View Post

I pretty much stopped hoping iPhone will ever come to Verizon. I don't like AT&T so no iPhone for me. I'm about to get the Touch just to play with the interface and enjoy some of the tricks via my WiFi, that should satisfy my craving for the iPhone......

You know what? I just had a flash of insight (right or wrong, who knows) on why Apple loves being exclusive to ATT: If they weren't, they would have to shut down the production/sale of iPod Touch!
  • Reply 108 of 147
    Quote:

At the same time there isn't one phone I like on Verizon. Phone selection is just terrible. Where are the great Nokia's roaming in Europe. ....

This is the main reason I was happy to jump ship from Verizon the day the iPhone came out. Apart from the overrated coverage and the chokehold on services.

I think that Nokia is probably just as tired of dealing with Verizon, and hence the reluctance to offer its cutting-edge products in the US. Verizon will probably neuter the customer experience anyway.....
  • Reply 109 of 147
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So AT&T charges you and arm and a leg, then gives you a crappy network and customer service and you're OK with that?

Coming from someone who doesn't even use AT&T.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That has to be the most naive post I've ever read here or anywhere.

Do you sincerely believe Apple would want to conitinue this affair with such a crappy carrier and not buy out of this choking exclusive contract and not expand even more?

What evidence have you found that Apple is dissatisfied with AT&T as a carrier? That is your opinion.
  • Reply 110 of 147
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Why do you say they charge me any more than Verizon or the others do for a smartphone with an unlimited data plan?

Excluding the now extinct Sprint SERO plan, all the US carriers charge about the same (except for the completely unlimited everything highest end plan where Sprint is significantly cheaper, and which I don't need).

I agree they all charge too much ( never said they charge more) but in Verizon's case the quality and consistency of the calls warrrants it. And wait till AT&T tacks on MMS charges. I believe other carriers include that already as it's standard.
  • Reply 111 of 147
    [QUOTE=TenoBell;1403360]
    Quote:

But reads NY Times, COnsumer reports, WSJ, etc ,etc, etc.

Quote:

What evidence have you found that Apple is dissatisfied with AT&T as a carrier? That is your opinion.

Dream on. Right- Apple loves all that bad AT&T press and dissatisfied potential iPhone buyers.
  • Reply 112 of 147
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Maybe he hasn't, but AT&T does have a pretty crummy network in my experience.
  • Reply 113 of 147
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

There's little impetus for either company to kill the goose laying the golden egg, here. Apple gets some data plan revenues and made a phone everyone wants, with little restrictions over how to actually make the phone. AT&T pays a lot up front for iPhone subsidies, but gains millions of customers and billions of dollars yearly.

Meanwhile, Verizon is spending bank to redo their network for LTE, which is already the technological progression of GSM. When LTE comes around, maybe we'll have competition, but until that time, what's the point? I had Verizon and agree that their customer service and network are far superior right now... but the phones suck. My enV was clunky and chunky. My iPhone is a far superior device. It's truly the difference between high school baseball and the major leagues.

I would agree that pretty much any enV makes any other phone look great. It is a terrible early attempt at a great concept. My wife has the enV2 and it is a fantatic LITTLE phone. It is the size of my old Razr. The enV3 will be coming along soon and looks to be even better.

It will be interesting to see in the future how the revenue sharing/network exclusivity bit works out. It is clear from many on here that most are paying extra for what they deem to be a substandard network. This becomes a form of Apple tax that most can avoid by going the iPod Touch route. Additionally the Touch has no contract.

As the saying goes, fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice...

Let's see how many AT&T can fool again even with the iPhone as bait.
  • Reply 114 of 147
    Quote:

I pretty much stopped hoping iPhone will ever come to Verizon. I don't like AT&T so no iPhone for me. I'm about to get the Touch just to play with the interface and enjoy some of the tricks via my WiFi, that should satisfy my craving for the iPhone.

Have the same here- a Touch and Verizon cell. Verizon has the ugliest phones but the best service. Calls are too important to me to deal the AT&T's crapola.

Try an LG phone - not bad and quality is excellent- small too.
  • Reply 115 of 147
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

Meanwhile, Verizon is spending bank to redo their network for LTE, which is already the technological progression of GSM. When LTE comes around, maybe we'll have competition, but until that time, what's the point?

People say things like this, but would LTE really be the compatibility panacea? What would be the fallback modes if it can't connect to LTE because of weak signal? If everyone went LTE, wouldn't everyone have to have the same fallback signal types to be decently compatible? Say an AT&T phone would fall back to 3G if LTE didn't work, what would a phone on a Verizon LTE network do?
  • Reply 116 of 147
    If Apple renews this contract AT&T will never lower their pricing to compete with T-Mobiles $45.00 unlimited minutes program. Yes, they do have one & it's offered to loyal customers who have had service for a year or more. Their unlimited data starts at $25.00 -- This pricing is a 50% savings over AT&T's raping of iPhone users..
  • Reply 117 of 147
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lancelot9201 View Post

If Apple renews this contract AT&T will never lower their pricing to compete with T-Mobiles $45.00 unlimited minutes program. Yes, they do have one & it's offered to loyal customers who have had service for a year or more. Their unlimited data starts at $25.00 -- This pricing is a 50% savings over AT&T's raping of iPhone users..

Sure. AT&T charging the same data rate for the iPhone as for their other smart phones, which is what Verizon charges for their smart phones, which is more than a $25 unlimited data plan that T-Mobile is hiding by not putting it on their website, could certainly reasonably be characterized as AT&T "raping" their iPhone customers.

This is the sort of balanced analysis that makes me think well of the AT&T haters.
  • Reply 118 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Contact re-up is this year, June in fact. Expires in 2010, the current. Yes Quad Band is GSM... Sprint IS ALSO GSM, thanks to Nextel...

http://www.nextel.com/en/stores/intl...al_phones.html

iDEN is compatible with GSM, but it isn't as though you can simply connect an iPhone and it will work. If it were that easy people would be doing it already.

Quote:

The can sublease the lines. The carrier then provides the service, Apple then sells the phones, contracts, whatever... There supporting the phone already, what's left?

Apple only deals with the handset, Apple does not deal with billing, customer support, and customer service for the network. Apple would have to deal with this for ever country the iPhone is in, its not something they wanted to deal with.
  • Reply 119 of 147
    You have to consider that none of Verizon's phones tax the network equivalent to the iPhone, so we don't really know how their network would handle the load. So do you feel ripped off?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe he hasn't, but AT&T does have a pretty crummy network in my experience.

• Reply 120 of 147
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Welcome to the dark side