Apple addressing cracks on white MacBooks casings

Comments

• Reply 81 of 107
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

Actualy I own a Mercedes, have a sauna and room for a pony... (just kidding about the last two). But I remember the night before I bought it, I was worried what people would think, because I don't want to be associated with anyone who looks down on people.

As a person who uses both Windows and OS X, i find pluses and negatives with both. But Apple hardware is the best, it has unique style and is generally durable. And what does go wrong, Apple takes steps above and beyond to fix.

I've owned several computers, Acer's, HP, Sony, Toshiba. Of those, I would say only Sony comes close to being as friendly on the phone as Apple is. HP and Toshiba love to give you the run around. Oddly enough as cheap as Acer is, and people make fun of them for that, I've never had an issue with the one I owned, or the one my BF currently uses.

I couldn't bear to own one... as I want some style but its plastic is way more durable then my white MacBook for sure. Though I'll be getting an Aluminum MacBook here shortly...

Actually, I bought an Acer Aspire One for my Mother and I have to say, it's a little beast. Very durable, and has been reliable so far. Nothing but good things to say about that netbook.

I suppose I can understand your sensibilities and sensitivities regarding other people's feelings. Some of us aren't nearly empathetic to people's feelings/perceptions vis-a-vis our outward material appearances as maybe we should be. It's unfortunate. Maybe a failing on our part.

It isn't so much the shiny car and how the other would feel about that. It's the fact that you care enough to place the other in a comfortable position, whereby they are made to feel as welcome and free to express themselves as you are. Yours is an appeal for empathy, not appeasement. Yes, I do indeed understand that. And frankly, that kind of behaviour should be encouraged.

C'mon though, admit it, if you had a pony you'd at least show THAT off to everyone, never mind the car.
  • Reply 82 of 107
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

.....have a sauna and room for a pony... ..

I caught that reference Mrs. Bucket.....LOL
  • Reply 83 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

You mean like not put it in its protective sleeve then put both in my briefcase and carry them to work? Because that must be what produced the cracks on my MacBook.

Truly the worst-made Apple product I've ever owned. Cracks on the case on both sides of the trackpad and on both sides of the top of the screen bezel. the keyboard was out of flush with the base from day one, and the screen has developed the delightful habit of blacking out in certain positions, so the inverter is likely hosed.

Yet I've never dropped it or hit it or anything like that. As noted above it has two cushioned protection layers when it travels. So it's hard to conclude that shoddy manufacturing/design is not the issue.

First time poster, long time lurker. The quoted post above explains my situation perfectly.

My white MacBook lives in a black Incase sleeve purchased from the Apple Store. Everytime it's moved from location to location, it's put in this sleeve. Yet last year it still managed to get the crack on the right hand palm rest. Apple replaced the top case (under AppleCare).

Fast forward a couple of months, and the case has cracked again; this time just above the left hand side of the screen, just above the bezel;

My display backlight will randomly turn off, after which I have to adjust the angle of the display, as well as put it to sleep. This happens either by itself, or just slightly adjusting the screen. This has happened ever since I got the LCD screen replaced last year, due to artefacts developing across the screen.

All along the back of the case, near the airflow vents, there are plenty of hairline cracks. Everywhere. Right next to the speaker, there's a crack. Where the screw is on the outside left hand side. there's a crack.

To top it off, the battery's starting to fall apart; the plastic casing is separating from the battery body.

(sorry for sh*t photos - didn't have a decent camera on me).

You can find my rambles continued at the MacTalk Australia forums, here.

</grumble>
  • Reply 84 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeauGiles View Post

First time poster, long time lurker. The quoted post above explains my situation perfectly.

My white MacBook lives in a black Incase sleeve purchased from the Apple Store. Everytime it's moved from location to location, it's put in this sleeve. Yet last year it still managed to get the crack on the right hand palm rest. Apple replaced the top case (under AppleCare).

Fast forward a couple of months, and the case has cracked again; this time just above the left hand side of the screen, just above the bezel;

My display backlight will randomly turn off, after which I have to adjust the angle of the display, as well as put it to sleep. This happens either by itself, or just slightly adjusting the screen. This has happened ever since I got the LCD screen replaced last year, due to artefacts developing across the screen.

All along the back of the case, near the airflow vents, there are plenty of hairline cracks. Everywhere. Right next to the speaker, there's a crack. Where the screw is on the outside left hand side. there's a crack.

To top it off, the battery's starting to fall apart; the plastic casing is separating from the battery body.

(sorry for sh*t photos - didn't have a decent camera on me).

You can find my rambles continued at the MacTalk Australia forums, here.

</grumble>

Yikes . . .

• Reply 85 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I caught that reference Mrs. Bucket.....LOL

I'm glad someone caught it. I've been watching it lately as its free streaming on Netflix.
  • Reply 86 of 107
    as soon as i read this news i called apple about this problem as i have been noticing the cracks underneath my laptop near the vent and the hinges. What the lady told me there was that IM NOT ELIGIBLE since i have an EARLY 2008 white macbook and with those models, they have already "supposedly" fixed the problem. So that i can not claim to have a free repair ( i am still under 1 yr warranty plus i have applecare until 2011). Isnt that RIDICULOUS????? I told her that people are talking about having the same problems and got their macbooks fixed and what she told me was that maybe those macbooks were the EARLIER models... mine was the early 2008 model and apparently they said that they shipped with a white body material that shouldn't crack and if im noticing those hairline cracks then it WONT be repaired under warranty and will be filed under accidental causes and therefore i will be CHARGED.

Guys what can you say about this CRAP!!!
  • Reply 87 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doc4kids View Post

as soon as i read this news i called apple about this problem as i have been noticing the cracks underneath my laptop near the vent and the hinges. What the lady told me there was that IM NOT ELIGIBLE since i have an EARLY 2008 white macbook and with those models, they have already "supposedly" fixed the problem. So that i can not claim to have a free repair ( i am still under 1 yr warranty plus i have applecare until 2011). Isnt that RIDICULOUS????? I told her that people are talking about having the same problems and got their macbooks fixed and what she told me was that maybe those macbooks were the EARLIER models... mine was the early 2008 model and apparently they said that they shipped with a white body material that shouldn't crack and if im noticing those hairline cracks then it WONT be repaired under warranty and will be filed under accidental causes and therefore i will be CHARGED.

Get in touch with Apple HQ. It works.
  • Reply 88 of 107
    hi quadra! thanks how do i get in touch with apple hq??
  • Reply 89 of 107
    Holy crap, now they run an article about this?

Then again Apple has been constantly replacing my old white Macbook's palm area structure for at least 5, 6 times before they just gave me a brand new aluminium Macbook.

deltatux
  • Reply 90 of 107
    Quote:

hi quadra! thanks how do i get in touch with apple hq??

Just demand to speak to customer relations and they should be able to resolve your issues.

That's how I got a complete Macbook replacement because I just repaired it too many times.

deltatux
  • Reply 91 of 107
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Did iBooks have this problem or did Apple switch to cheaper plastic?
  • Reply 92 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deltatux View Post

Just demand to speak to customer relations and they should be able to resolve your issues.

That's how I got a complete Macbook replacement because I just repaired it too many times.

deltatux

I know there is a particular department or individual (I forget their actual title) that handles these things at Apple HQ. And boy do they ever handle it!

There's a thread over on Neowin.net (in the Apple forums) with exact instructions, but I'll have to hunt around for it and dig it up. I'll try to post it later on today. i think there's even a name of a contact . . .
  • Reply 93 of 107
    Quote:

The more pressing problem with MacBooks to me is the inordinately high failure rate of their hard drives. Seems like clockwork that the stock drives fail after 2 - 2.5 years. I'm proactively replacing/upgrading drives now to avoid unplanned downtime - thankfully those 2.5" 320GB 7200RPM Hitachi drives are fast and cheap

my problem was with a Samsung 250GB hard drive that I got to replace my original drive right after getting it...the drive was less than a year old and just screwed everything up for me...countless Diskwarrior tries was to no avail...so I had to get it replaced...

Quote:

MacBook is a million times easier to get into than the iBooks were.

you aint lying on that point

Quote:

Coincidentally, a few friends/clients who took their MacBooks to the Genius Bar to get their dead hard drives replaced also ended up getting their mildly cracked top-cases and shells replaced without even asking for it. I think Apple's been proactive about making those replacements for some time, but they have not exactly splashed out the news on the front page of www.apple.com.

when I first got my Macbook it was from a seller on ebay that happened to be near by so he cancelled his auction and sold it to me for $400 cash...it had issues with the power not charging or running the laptop...if the battery had juice already it worked fine...so I took it to the genius bar and for $300 they replaced the logic board...and when I got it back it had a brand new handrest case and new hard drive too...all free of charge...but it's been just about a year and the replaced top case has been chipping away and I don't take my macbook anywhere...been out of work for 8 months so it has stayed on my desk or on my table by my bed...and doesn?t get carried around let alone abused...not to mention I found many places where the white part is cracked too...and the bezel around the display has a hairline crack in it too...

it's nice to hear I can take it to the Genius Bar and they will have it fixed...just don't know if I can go without my baby for that long...may have to pull out the iBook G4 and use the iMac G4 while it is getting fixed...

and another thing has anyone noticed that the cursor will move to where the mouse is at if you rest your hands on the hand rest while typing...it's been doing that for a short while now...I have to be careful not to lean on the rests too hard or I will be typing in one place and it will end up where I don't want to be
  • Reply 94 of 107
    Count me among those with a cracked white MacBook case. A thin piece broke off near the touchpad. My MacBook is only 18 months old, and has never been dropped and always carried in double-padded cases. Now I have a charming piece of duct tape over the crack. Not very good advertising for Apple...
  • Reply 95 of 107
    Quote:

Well I would suggest you take it to the nearest Apple Store and if they wont fix it...throw a bitch fit and I would bet they will fix it
  • Reply 96 of 107
    Hi guys,

will the below crack cover under this?

• Reply 97 of 107
    ajayaajaya Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is privately acknowledging an issue with the enclosure on some of its white 13-inch MacBooks, which in some cases have seen the formation of hairline cracks during normal usage patterns.

The Cupertino-based Mac maker is said to have issued a bulletin to its authorized service providers in March that essentially reverses its stance on replacing the bottom casing of notebooks that may be experiencing these symptoms.

It was reported in November that Apple was refusing to cover repairs for the bottom casing of the notebooks despite its willingness on occasion to address identical problems with the top portion of the casings containing the keyboard and palmrests.

The bulletin to providers reportedly identified four key areas of the case prone to hairline cracking, including the front portion of the case below the palmrests and trackpad, the areas around the I/O ports, the back rear corners, and the back rear ventilation area.

Apple added, however, that other portions of the case could be affected by the cracking issue. For all instances, providers were reportedly asked to inspect the MacBook carefully to determine whether the cracks could be the result of the notebook haven been dropped or other accidental damage caused by the owner.

In the event that providers are unable to identify signs that the user is at fault for the cracks, they're advise to escalate the notebook for coverage by Apple, regardless of whether its 1-year limited warranty has expired.

A collage of cracked white 13-inch MacBook enclosures.

The exception also applies to the black plastic 13-inch MacBook that was discontinued last year, but does not extend to any other member of the MacBook family, according to those familiar with the matter.

Last October, Apple transitioned its entire notebook line to arguably the most durable aluminum unibody enclosures on the market. It has, however, continued to sell a single version of its legacy 13-inch white MacBook for $999.

Had an appointment at the Genius bar last night at the Westchester Mall in White Plains. Showed them my white (1st Gen-white) Macbook which was chipping on the palm rest and had the cracks as described in this article all over the bottom cover.

My Genius, Jentell (sp?), said he had read the reports on CNET and Apple Insider but said that the sites were 'mistaken'.

They replaced my palm rest cover (2nd time in 2 years) but won't replace the bottom cover. I just filled out the Apple Genius Bar (dis)Satisfaction survey- hope to hear back.

I hope others have better luck getting their cracked bottom cases replaced.
  • Reply 98 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

I took two MacBooks into the Apple store a month or so and they replaced the cracked tops and offered to replace the cracked shell of another. One was out of warranty. Just take it up to the "Genius" bar.

I have to complement Apple's service in this respect.

I wonder if this applies if you're not in the U.S.?
  • Reply 99 of 107
    ajayaajaya Posts: 2member
    Wow- I got a call from the Apple Store that initially refused to replace my cracking bottom case. They will replace it after all. The only downside is that it has to get shipped out for repairs, meaning upto seven days without my macbook.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajaya View Post

Had an appointment at the Genius bar last night at the Westchester Mall in White Plains. Showed them my white (1st Gen-white) Macbook which was chipping on the palm rest and had the cracks as described in this article all over the bottom cover.

My Genius, Jentell (sp?), said he had read the reports on CNET and Apple Insider but said that the sites were 'mistaken'.

They replaced my palm rest cover (2nd time in 2 years) but won't replace the bottom cover. I just filled out the Apple Genius Bar (dis)Satisfaction survey- hope to hear back.

I hope others have better luck getting their cracked bottom cases replaced.

• Reply 100 of 107
    iomaticiomatic Posts: 92member
    Need to revisit this. Overall, my experience has been calling the 800 SOS APPL number bearing much better service fruit (no pun intended) than the "Geniuses" at the Apple Stores.

Anyone weigh in on getting this fixed in-store vs. AppleCare (old school phone call)?