iDVD is driving me crazy!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have just spent several hours fiddling with iDVD, burning multiple DVDs and trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with it...

I've created some home movie (actually two movies) and just wanted to create and nice menu for them and burn them to a DVD.

This silly thing keeps on skipping the menu and going right to one of the movies - and for no reason at all!

I believe I know everything there's to know about the "DVD map" things (the "autoplay cube" leads to the menu and there's no video or anything inside it), but it still won't work!

I tried everything... recreated this thing from scratch twice, changed the file names, changed the project name and more... nothing helps

I should mention that I have successfully created several DVDs before, but I think that it is since the 09 version that it is doing weird stuff (it's not the first time I'm having problems with it, no idea how it got solved the last time)

Anyone has any idea what may be the problem?

I'm on the verge of switching to a different software and I'm rather bummed about it...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    iDVD is template-based. The menus are determined by the template. How is it skipping the them?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lirandlirand Posts: 174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

iDVD is template-based. The menus are determined by the template. How is it skipping the them?

I created menus and everyhing that's needed. However, when I try playing the DVD in my player, it doesn't show the menu and just plays one of the videos.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand View Post

I created menus and everyhing that's needed. ...

Clearly, you did not. Without more definitive information, we can only take shots in the dark guessing about what went wrong.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    lirandlirand Posts: 174member
    I did. What more information do you need?

Attached is the DVD map.

• Reply 5 of 6
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand View Post

I did. What more information do you need?

Attached is the DVD map.

I forget how I got iDVD to work, but I know there are bugs or should I say it's buggy. I think what I did this last xmas was, when I designed the chapters I wouldn't preview it or something and go directly to build image? Something like that. It was like if I saved it or something I would loose all the work I did with the chapters? Something, it's buggy tho I know that...

Later...

p.s. before you burn always save as video_ts folder, and drag that folder to DVD Player to test
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I'm having the same problem. I've created DVD's in the past and the menu comes up first - no problem. After upgrading to '09, when I insert the DVD it starts playing immediately; no menu page. I went back to '08, but the problem remains. Does anyone know why?