Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 357
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I think this response is very classy.
  • Reply 2 of 357
    Quote:

Rather than running ads that seem clever at first but really aren't, the Windows guys ought to take the hint and just build better computers.

...and Microsoft needs to build a better, more stable OS.

Edit: Yes - Classy response.
  • Reply 3 of 357
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Microsoft makes an interesting statement in their ads, but I don't think they work, really. As I have been saying, people see these ads and most think: "oh yeah, I heard how cool those Apple's are, must check out the Apple Store." People know, in the end, usually you get what you pay for. These ads aren't clever enough.
  • Reply 4 of 357
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    I read that story this morning - it said a lot of the things I'd been thinking about MS, HP, and the ads.
  • Reply 5 of 357
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    What we need is a good ole fashioned street fight between Redmond and Cupertino.
  • Reply 6 of 357
    The current Microsoft ads remind me of the style of those, what were they "Sing Tunes Program", designed for a very simple audience level, about 3 years old.
  • Reply 7 of 357
    I tell my PC friends the same thing about cheap components and price of software and resolution, but they are happy with their cheap shit.

It's like trying to get someone to go into a wine shop and select a $50 bottle of wine, when they are just as happy with a $10 bottle from the grocery store. It's just not worth the effort.
  • Reply 8 of 357
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Microsoft makes an interesting statement in their ads, but I don't think they work, really. As I have been saying, people see these ads and most think: "oh yeah, I heard how cool those Apple's are, must check out the Apple Store." People know, in the end, usually you get what you pay for. These ads aren't clever enough.

The guy stating that Mac is really cool doesn't make sense to me to sell more HPs. I have no idea why that was included. The rest of the ads seems to work in the way they are meant to, except that I think the audience that seem to be targeting would have already decided on the budget computer, thus making it pointless. They need to convince people that the budget machine is worth the money, but i have no idea how they could do that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

I tell my PC friends the same thing about cheap components and price of software and resolution, but they are happy with their cheap shit.

Let them have their cheap machines. Macs aren't for everyone. And if they did get one and liked it they would be stuck with Macs forever, like when you get an HDTV and HD cable and can't stand to watch SD anymore.
  • Reply 9 of 357
    gumbygogumbygo Posts: 10member
    I thought the Macbook Pro screen size was 1920x1200, not 1920x1440.
  • Reply 10 of 357
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Microsloth found Guilty!
  • Reply 11 of 357
    Daniel,

You wrote: there's clearly a lot of PC buyers

and, I am sure you

meant to write: there are clearly a lot of PC buyers

,dave
  • Reply 12 of 357
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

and a far lower quality display with much lower resolution, 1440x900 compared to the MacBook Pro's 1920x1440.

This made me second-guess myself but it's actually a (still formidable) 1920x1200 on the 17in MacBook Pro \

I like this response from Apple, it's a professional and factual response - unlike alot of Microsoft's Ballmer-influenced, childish, misleading remarks and ad campaigns.... bravo Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 357
    I think a clever response with a new "Im a Mac" ad could be just what the doctor ordered...not that I think that many are buying these ads...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

What we need is a good ole fashioned street fight between Redmond and Cupertino.

• Reply 14 of 357
    s8er01zs8er01z Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

It's like trying to get someone to go into a wine shop and select a $50 bottle of wine, when they are just as happy with a $10 bottle from the grocery store. It's just not worth the effort.

You just made their argument for them...

Why do I need to cough up for expensive hardware when I can spend less and still be happy? I also have AMD (which can be used to get great performance for the money) as a cheaper alternative.

As far as the article... as a Windows user (primarily) well played sir...not much can be said to counter that IMHO.
  • Reply 15 of 357
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I only have a few things to take issue with

1) Most PC users worth their salt know that there are plenty of freeware AV programs out there. I personally use AVG Free, but there's also Antivir, Avast, and countless other programs that you DON'T have to pay for and work just fine.

Why pay $150 over three years unless you're an idiot or just made out of money

2) As for the other software titles, you can find freeware versions of just about any kind of program that you need to use on a PC (I use mostly freeware stuff on my Lenovo ThinkPad).

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y

That being said, I think it was a classy response from Apple. Microsoft needed to do something because of Apple's constant Microsoft bashing over the years.

Microsoft could have done A LOT better with its current Laptop Hunter ads, but they seem to have made at least a bit of an impression and the fact that an Apple rep took the time to even talk about them says a lot.

Microsoft had better not f**k up with Windows 7 or Apple is gonna be all over them like flies on s**t.
  • Reply 16 of 357
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    This guy Hesseldahl sounds like a true fanboy. Widows people don't make PC's , electronics companies do.

Notice again how it's always HP and the other bottom of the barell Dell and Gateway- never Sony or Lenovo.
  • Reply 17 of 357
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    Send some guy shopping for a car and go right by the 09 Accord, BMW and Camry leaving the lot with an 08 Focus, deliriously happy.
  • Reply 18 of 357
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I only have a few things to take issue with

1) Most PC users worth their salt know that there are plenty of freeware AV programs out there. I personally use AVG Free, but there's also Antivir, Avast, and countless other programs that you DON'T have to pay for and work just fine.

Why pay $150 over three years unless you're an idiot or just made out of money

2) As for the other software titles, you can find freeware versions of just about any kind of program that you need to use on a PC (I use mostly freeware stuff on my Lenovo ThinkPad).

Hypothetically speaking, I need to use Macnification and Checkout.

Find me the free PC equivalents... go, go, go!

I notice how often PC software is compared to Mac software in a similar fashion to how the hardware is compared. Provided they tick the same feature boxes - they're the same. Only the Mac software is fewer in number and more expensive!

Less tangible factors (but things that day-to-day make a world of difference) such ease of use, user enjoyment and experience, quality, fit and finish etc. never seem to factor.

Who cares about how many titles there are, in any particular area you will typically only use one and in many cases now the Mac has the best options.
  • Reply 19 of 357
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    This article is hilarious. The level of arrogance is so astounding it actually amuses me.
  • Reply 20 of 357
    Microsoft really sucks when it comes to PR and advertisement. Plenty of examples that I think everyone already knows about. If I was HP, I'd be really pissed at Microsoft for dragging me into it's PR campaign because their campaign made HP look bad! How? Well, take a look at all the counter arguments. Not only Microsoft have embarrassed itself, it also have embarrassed HP.

SHISH Microsoft, get yourself a new campaigner already!