attempt to get the iPhone without the data plan

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I do not have the iPhone because I don't want to pay $30 a month for the data charges. I really would like to get one, so I have been trying to think of a way to get around the data charges and thought of an idea and am wondering if it would work...

The iPhone uses a sim card like regular phones correct? So, if i bough an iPhone say on ebay, couldn't I just install my old sim card into the new phone, so i wouldn't have a data plan? Or, does the iPhone use a certain sim card or have a certain activation that would not allow me to use it without a data plan? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    You could buy an iPod Touch and have an "iPhone" without a voice or data plan.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alevy11 View Post

I do not have the iPhone because I don't want to pay $30 a month for the data charges. I really would like to get one, so I have been trying to think of a way to get around the data charges and thought of an idea and am wondering if it would work...

The iPhone uses a sim card like regular phones correct? So, if i bough an iPhone say on ebay, couldn't I just install my old sim card into the new phone, so i wouldn't have a data plan? Or, does the iPhone use a certain sim card or have a certain activation that would not allow me to use it without a data plan? Help would be greatly appreciated.

• Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alevy11 View Post

IF you have a 3G SIM card, you can buy a carrier unlocked iPhone on eBay, such as the ones released in Hong Kong and elsewhere, and stick your SIM in it and use it without the data plan. You cannot do the same with a US iPhone, unless it's jailbroken and unlocked. You cannot do it if you are using a 2G SIM.