Apple launches iTunes movie store in Germany

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

A shop doesn't have to have a branch in every country, and I don't think there's any GPS tagging on the movies that will cause them to combust if you leave Germany. Should be fine.

You are talking out of your culo. It's a digital product, sold in an online store.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

I wonder whether the movies in Germany (in iTunes) have subtitles.

Sorry, no subtitles so far.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

I'm surprised that video works with a non-US IP address. Though music works fine across IP addresses so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

I wish I could figure out how to get the BBC's iPlayer working outside the US. As it stands now, I just torrent my UK shows. Can't wait for the next series of Top Gear.

The IP addresses are not checked, because selling to a US citizen residing outside the US (business people, soldiers, travelers) has to and is allowed to work.

It seems the only way to beat BBC's iPlayer is to have somebody in the UK set up a private proxy for you, as they block all known proxies.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post

You are talking out of your culo. It's a digital product, sold in an online store.

And this fact does not change a thing.

An online store too can be targeted at only a specific country --either by requiring a credit card of said country or by blocking IP ranges. This is essentialy the same as having a local store.

A technological abillity (that you can sell to everyone in the world) IS NOT a necessity by law (that you are required to do so).
  • Reply 24 of 29
    ogeeogee Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Hmm, is it legal for Apple to withhold movies for the rest of EU?

The free movement of goods and services is one the fundamentals of EU.

Anyone with knowledge of EU law?

Best,

Daniel

No store is obliged to provide service over the whole of Europe, just like the corner shop doesn't have to provide service in a town 20km away. Any business can have terms and conditions that limit their area of delivery to a certain geographic area, and as such Apple is no different. I cant subscribe to BBC TV here in Germany as another example.

The free moverment of goods and services means theat a company *may* offer its services wherever it wants int he EU, and local government can not (generally) prohibit a legal service.

So in a nut shell, Apple *could* offer their service EU wide, but are *not* obliged to.

Distribution rights is another bucket of poo poo.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ogee View Post

No store is obliged to provide service over the whole of Europe, just like the corner shop doesn't have to provide service in a town 20km away. Any business can have terms and conditions that limit their area of delivery to a certain geographic area, and as such Apple is no different.

It is not that simple. It also means, that no store can refuse to provide service to a citizen of a member country, and it also means that you can resell goods in any member country. You do not have to ship outside of a freely chosen area, but with digital delivery there is no shipment. Basically the country-specific iTunes Stores (and other online media stores) are operating in a grey zone right now, and the EU has to somehow balance the grandfather rights (and stubbornness) of the record and music industries with todays missing borders... And the reality makes this situation downright absurd... When I am in Germany, I order most Blu-Ray disks from Amazon UK, as new releases are on average 8-10 EUR cheaper than from Amazon Germany, but the very same movie industry is not allowing Apple to sell the very same movie in more than one country.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Won't the Germans be disappointed when they learn that none of the movies offered feature David Hasselhoff? Because those Germans love David Hasselhoff.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    charelcharel Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Hmm, is it legal for Apple to withhold movies for the rest of EU?

The free movement of goods and services is one the fundamentals of EU.

Anyone with knowledge of EU law?

Best,

Daniel

A long time ago the French negotiated an exception for films and other such issues from the general free movement of goods to protect their culture from being overrun by Anglo Saxon dominance. It has never been repealed.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    grayumgrayum Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Aren't you risking getting 'caned' even for faking a profanity in Singapore?

haha, SpamSandwich. Lets make it worth their while - "FUCK"!
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Won't the Germans be disappointed when they learn that none of the movies offered feature David Hasselhoff? Because those Germans love David Hasselhoff.

Well, it's not all lost, actually! iTunes Germany has:

- 4 David Hasselhoff albums

- The Knight Rider Podcast

- The "Jump in my car" music video

- The movies "Click", "Anaconda 3: Offspring" and the "Sponge Bob SquarePants Movie"

Enough from an individual that has one facial expression and can hit one note, or? Going by the charts, the original language version of "Chappelle's Show Uncensored" seems to be doing better than all of those, so there might be hope.