Jaguar on new powerbook

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm not sure if this question has already been answered, but i can't seem to find the answer on any websites. If i order a new powerbook on Jaguar release date this Friday, is it guaranteed to come with Jag or am i going to have to pay for an upgrade no matter what? I figured if the new powermacs had it pre-installed the least they can do with new orders is give a disk

many thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I'm 99.9% sure that Apple is now including jaguar boxes with the purchase of new macs
  • Reply 2 of 12
    All Macs shipped within the past week or two have included 10.2 Jaguar. I've read many many MANY reports of this.

But no promises.

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 12
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    if I have an original TiBook 500 with 8MB ATI Video card, will I be able to run jaguar on it with decent performance? (except for quartz extreme apps). 384RAM.

I know that 32MB vid cards liek NVDIA are required for Quartz Extreme but generally curious to know if 8MB is going to a serious hinderance.

cheers
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Have you tried running Mac OS X on it at all?

Remember, even *without* Quartz Extreme, 10.2 Jaguar brings several speed boosts and optimizations to Mac OS X. 10.2 runs better than 10.1, yes, even without Quartz Extreme.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I had a PowerBook delivered to my place on August 9 and it did not come with Jaguar.

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 12
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Too early I guess, but you since you bought it after MWNY, you can get Jaguar for $20.

I order a 14" iBook on Sunday. Pretty sure it will come with Jaguar. Probably just on CD, but maybe preinstalled.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Have you tried running Mac OS X on it at all?

Remember, even *without* Quartz Extreme, 10.2 Jaguar brings several speed boosts and optimizations to Mac OS X. 10.2 runs better than 10.1, yes, even without Quartz Extreme.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thx. Yes I have OS X 10.1 on it. It probably lies in my misunderstanding of Quartz Extreme. If it performs better than 10.1 (which is should) and only effects apps that take advantage of Quartz Extreme, than I am looking forward to upgrading on the PowerBook (w/8MB).

Thx!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    [quote]Originally posted by eat@me:

<strong>if I have an original TiBook 500 with 8MB ATI Video card, will I be able to run jaguar on it with decent performance? (except for quartz extreme apps). 384RAM.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm using 10.2 on my TiBook 500 with 512 MB of RAM. Works fantastic! It's a very, very good OS upgrade. You might wanna up your RAM, but you won't be disappointed by Jaguar.

QE doesn't work, as you mentioned, but graphics performance is good, anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    the "officially blessed minimum spec" for quartz extreme is 16Mb VRAM and AGP 2X. card mfg unimportant (ati or nvidia as long as above spec)

&lt; as i noted in another thread, when asked about QE on the 700Mhz iBook Radeon 16Mb VRAM, apple jag guy thought that QE explicitly wasn't supported on any iBook and added the other apple demofolk "didn't we show a slide with fine print on that?" &gt;

&lt; mind you, these same guys were all crowding around the <a href="http://www.macparts.de/ibook"; target="_blank">www.macparts.de/ibook</a> page i showed them on unsupported monitor spanning with same ibook in os9, so maybe the official and undocumented differ&gt;

back to the point

QE offloads compositing (of windows, QT/DVD, web, GUI, etc) from the CPU onto the GPU on said AGP 2x 16Mb VRAM graphics card.

graphic performance (including basic screen redraw at all levels) will go up if running QE, but QE isn't necessary for Jaguar, per se

Jag on a machine that can't handle the QE will handle graphics just as it did before QE. just won't seem as zippy as the full jag+QE (especially on one of the new duals where multithreading adds extra cpu to take even better use of those cycles)

&lt; this from a demo from a guy on the jag team for the last two months &gt;

incidentally, he seemed to suggest that the programming team was expecting to get to 6C117 or 118 (with apache/sec update patches and more driver support) before going GM, but that Steve himself had appeared and spake "enough... shippeth it" or words to that effect

he also suggested 10.2.1 will appear within 3 weeks

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: curiousuburb ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Hey thanks guys, i figured it must come with Jaguar, and to be safe i'm ordering it tomorrow on the release date to make sure. I'd read the reports about it arriving on disk with some people's new hardware, i just didn't want to be landed with an upgrade fee!

Thanks again
  • Reply 11 of 12
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Wrong. A 16MB Rage 128 will not do Quartz Extreme because it cannot handle texture sizes that aren't a power of 2.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by fryke:

<strong>

I'm using 10.2 on my TiBook 500 with 512 MB of RAM. Works fantastic! It's a very, very good OS upgrade. You might wanna up your RAM, but you won't be disappointed by Jaguar.

QE doesn't work, as you mentioned, but graphics performance is good, anyway.</strong><hr></blockquote>

thank fryke,

hope all is well in switzerland!