New discoveries turn up in betas of Apple's iPhone 3.0 software

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Developer sources familiarizing themselves with betas of Apple's iPhone 3.0 software have uncovered a handful of additional tweaks and improvements to the system in recent weeks, including changes to Safari's window handling, new battery status indicators and notification preferences, as well as the advent of data detectors in certain apps.

Safari

With the release of iPhone 3.0, Safari will let you close out and clear all your open browser windows without having to first create a new blank page to get rid of the contents of the last active window.

For example, you can have eight open Safari windows in the existing version of the iPhone software, seven of which you can close rapidly by using the red "x" icons in the upper left-hand corners of the pages. However, there's no "x" icon to close out the last page standing. Therefore, the only way to get rid of the contents on this last remaining page is to first create a "New Page," then cycle back to the page and close it out.

With iPhone 3.0, Apple has enabled the option to close out the lone remaining page. Once the "x" icon is triggered, the page disappears and a new blank page quickly slides into view. This process is reportedly difficult to capture in a screenshot, though an example illustrating part of the process can be seen below.

Battery indicators

Meanwhile, it appears that iPhone 3.0 will also introduce an option of showing you how much battery life you have left on your iPhone or iPod touch in a numerical percentage.

Resource files contained within the new version of the device's Springboard application include 22 new PNG files to facilitate this option. Half are numerical characters (and a "%" sign) in black typeface for representing healthy battery level percentages while the other half are in red typeface for when battery life falls bellow a certain threshold.

It appears, though it's not confirmed, that users will have the option of selecting how their battery status indicator appears in the menubar -- such as an icon-only view (per current versions of the software), an icon + numerical view, or a numerical-view only. This would be similar to fast user switching menu option for Mac OS X that lets you display the accounts by "Name," "Short Name," or "Icon."

Push Notification preferences

Also visible in the latest betas of iPhone 3.0 software is a new Push Notifications preference pane that will allow you to enable or disable any of the three types of notifications that third party applications can push to your handset: Sounds, Alerts and Badges. Alternatively, notifications can be disabled as a whole. This should provide users with tighter control of their battery usage.

Data Detectors

Finally, it's also noted that Apple is enabling Data Detectors in a variety of new applications. Data Detectors automatically detect text fragments like email addresses, phone numbers, and street addresses, so you can execute actions on those fragments via touch selections -- like dialing a phone number automatically by clicking on it or adding it to your address book.

The example above shows Data Detectors in action in the new Notes application. The detectors are only visible and executable when viewing a note, not while editing one.

Variable scrubber speeds

Update: These shots just came in, showing the ability to change scrubbing speeds in the iPod application.

"You press and hold on the little dot to scrub and slide your finger down the screen to get finer scrubbing speeds," a person familiar with the software said. "There are four options: Hi-Speed Scrubbing (normal slide position), Half Speed Scrubbing, Quarter Speed Scrubbing and Fine Scrubbing (furthest down the screen)."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Safari

With the release of iPhone 3.0, Safari will let you close out and clear all your open browser windows without having to first create a new blank page to get rid of the contents of the last active window.

When is Safari 4.0 gonna come on iPhone?

Quote:

Battery indicators

Meanwhile, it appears that iPhone 3.0 will also introduce an option of showing you how much battery life you have left on your iPhone or iPod touch in a numerical percentage.

Resource files contained within the new version of the device's Springboard application include 22 new PNG files to facilitate this option. Half are numerical characters (and a "%" sign) in black typeface for representing healthy battery level percentages while the other half are in red typeface for when battery life falls bellow a certain threshold.

It appears, though its not confirmed, that users will have the option of selecting how their battery status indicator appears in the menubar -- such as an icon-only view (per current versions of the software), an icon + numerical view, or a numerical-view only. This would be similar to fast user switching menu option for Mac OS X that lets you display the accounts by "Name," "Short Name," or "Icon."

What a customer care!! Goodness, do I love Apple!!

Quote:

Data Detectors

Finally, it's also note that Apple is enabling Data Detectors in a variety of new applications. Data Detectors automatically detect text fragments like email addresses, phone numbers, and street addresses, so you can execute actions on those fragments via touch selections -- like dialing a phone number automatically by clicking on it or adding it to your address book.

That's sometimes annoying all those phone numbers and addresses popping up under fingers.
  • Reply 2 of 71
    Awesome!! I'm stoked on the Data Detectors. this is the kind of stuff that makes the iPhone so easy to use! Keep it up
  • Reply 3 of 71
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Fantastic- I hope there is also an indicator when charging that states when the device is full charged.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seriously; the current iPhone may be the best one out there but it needs speed and or fluidity improvements more than anything else except possibly better battery life. It is likely the only way we will get such is via new hardware. So dwell all you want on minor features, I want to hear about code for suspected new hardware.

Ok I'd like to also hear about improvements to Safari and other apps. Mainly because of this fear that the upgraded hardware coming later this year won't be the big improvement we are all hoping for. That is the hardware won't be compelling in an economic downturn. Especially after the non iMac upgrade earlier this year which makes one wonder if Apple intends to good through the recession.

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 71
    At-last we have some REAL news...

Fed up with those dummies lately!!
  • Reply 6 of 71
    conradconrad Posts: 10member
    Why is it that people are so quick to criticize a company that literally revolutionized the mobile phone industry? Ease up, fellas.

Quote:

Fantastic- I hope there is also an indicator when charging that states when the device is full charged.

In any case, the iPhone DOES have an indicator to tell you the battery is fully charged. It's that huge battery on the screen that fills up with green when it's full.... that thing. And if you don't like that, the battery icon in the top right corner changes to a plug instead of lightening bolt when it's fully charged.... so... not really sure what you mean.
  • Reply 7 of 71
    Data Detectors.

I'm really hoping that Data Detectors also covers the "Location" field in Calendar. Seriously, when you type in a location, you should be able to tap on it and launch Google Maps. Lemme reiterate. A location entered in Calendar should link with Google Maps. Integration, its a lovely thing.
  • Reply 8 of 71
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

When is Safari 4.0 gonna come on iPhone?

You do understand that Safari 4.0 is not a release product on any platform?
  • Reply 9 of 71
    I also hope the data detectors work in the calendar for phone numbers. I have conference calls I need to be on through out the week and having those become links to just touch would be amazing. I am very excited about all the updates Apple is putting into iPhone OS 3.0 and look forward to the launch date.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

... So dwell all you want on minor features, I want to hear about code for suspected new hardware...

Dave

I have very little doubt that the next version of iPhone hardware will be a major upgrade. New core processor, more RAM, more storage. The last hardware upgrade hide minor improvements, mostly adding 3G and GPS chips.

I'm still on iPhone 1st gen. When iPhone 3G came out I was still living where there was no 3G coverage. I moved to Chicago but didn't upgrade as it seemed obvious that new hardware would come in June-ish of this year, and my contract is over/up for renewal around the same time. But I have to admit, it's been torture not having 3G speeds while living in Chicago. Not having GPS isn't horrible as the triangulation works well enough, but I'll be stoked to finally have faster data and more storage (my library is just over 75GB now).

Enough about me. :-) I'm still waiting to find out what features Apple hasn't yet included in the beta versions. They've got to know that everyone will be mining the betas looking for clues as to new features, so they've got to be holding something(s) back so they can have a little WOW! when they do the release (other than Steve himself doing the presentation). This is fun!
  • Reply 11 of 71
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Along these lines, is there any hope of getting the iPhone to make some sort of audible and vibrational notification of when the battery is low? I'm on call often and not realizing that my phone has turned it self off due to low battery is a real pain in the ass.
  • Reply 12 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrad View Post

In any case, the iPhone DOES have an indicator to tell you the battery is fully charged. It's that huge battery on the screen that fills up with green when it's full.... that thing. And if you don't like that, the battery icon in the top right corner changes to a plug instead of lightening bolt when it's fully charged.... so... not really sure what you mean.

When it is full it has the plug-in icon over the battery icon, the small one on the menu bar.

Also if you go under "Settings" then "General" then "Usage", it will tell you charge info and other info
  • Reply 13 of 71
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

You do understand that Safari 4.0 is not a release product on any platform?

Do I. But I like so much the coverflow of bookmarks...
  • Reply 14 of 71
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Of those, I'm most interested in the data detectors. I've often wondered at why that was not always there....
  • Reply 15 of 71
    Quote:

It appears, though it's not confirmed, that users will have the option of selecting how their battery status indicator appears in the menubar -- such as an icon-only view (per current versions of the software), an icon + numerical view, or a numerical-view only. This would be similar to fast user switching menu option for Mac OS X that lets you display the accounts by "Name," "Short Name," or "Icon."

Considering it is a battery indicator it is far more similar to the battery menu in Mac OS X that lets you display the charge by "Icon only," "Time," or "Percentage."
  • Reply 16 of 71
    Quote:

Apple seems to stop making choices on behalf of Users!!
  • Reply 17 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrad View Post

Why is it that people are so quick to criticize a company that literally revolutionized the mobile phone industry? Ease up, fellas.

Ease up- that was not a criticism at all.

It's just a preference I have for knowing when to unplug the charger. There would be no question whether or not it was fully charged- words in this case do make it more definitive to me- that's all. I simply prefer to not risk a chance of possibly wrecking the battery by leaving the charger connected too long.
  • Reply 18 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Of those, I'm most interested in the data detectors. I've often wondered at why that was not always there....

I was kinda floored by that one too.Oh well, better late than never.
  • Reply 19 of 71
    The change in Safari happened back at Beta 2.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

When it is full it has the plug-in icon over the battery icon, the small one on the menu bar.

Also if you go under "Settings" then "General" then "Usage", it will tell you charge info and other info

Ok then it must be different for an iPod Touch. I've never seen the plug-in icon nor the "Usage" in the settings.