AT&T pushing to keep iPhone exclusive through 2011

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 147
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StupidGenius View Post

Verizon holdouts should read below. Looks like iPhone won't come until LTE is out. I know Verizon's testing late 2009, but I assume we realistically wouldn't see an iPhone until early 2011 at best.

Even when Verizon jumps to LTE, that doesn't mean that AT&T wold have jumped yet or that there would be an iPhone with LTE. LTE appears to be many HW revisions away from being included in the iPhone. I think 2011 is optimistic.

The part on Apple never really considering Verizon is what I have predicted for a long time. It just didn't make sense to go with them. Apple's most strategic move is to make a lesser company think that they are so they can get a better deal.
  • Reply 142 of 147
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I wasn't specifically talking about data.

I didn't realize that, you're the one that brought up the data in your response to me, I was thinking in that context at that moment.

Quote:

Its feeling ripped off in general. It seems instead of just directly answering the question you want to dance around.

Dancing around? The feeling was mutual then. I couldn't directly answer a question that doesn't make sense to me or seem to apply to my situation.
  • Reply 143 of 147
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I didn't realize that, you're the one that brought up the data in your response to me, I was thinking in that context at that moment.

I simply said no one else's network is being taxed like AT&T. Primarily speaking of 3G where voice and data use the same signal. It sounds as if you assumed I was only talking about data.

Quote:

Dancing around? The feeling was mutual then. I couldn't directly answer a question that doesn't make sense to me or seem to apply to my situation.

"Do you feel ripped off by AT&T", is a pretty straight forward question.
  • Reply 144 of 147
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

That line wasn't an island, that line in context of the other lines it followed may have thrown me off. Not only that, I did answer it simply, I don't understand why you said I was dancing around the "ripped off" question. I don't know what part of "yes" means that I'm dancing around the subject.
  • Reply 145 of 147
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

I simply said no one else's network is being taxed like AT&T. Primarily speaking of 3G where voice and data use the same signal. It sounds as if you assumed I was only talking about data.

TenoBell, you've not supported your claim about AT&T's network.

Second, why are you so personal in all your attacks? Every person that you engage has an array of claims by you tossed at them. I'm "biased and obtuse." JeffDM is "dancing and evading."

Someone who claims to have the facts should be able to present them without getting so personal.

I'm not going to repeat myself. I gave you the criteria to meet your claim. You instead declared the criteria a claim and demand I support it. You have no proof with regard to AT&T, Verizon and any sort of network loads. Support the claim or withdraw it. Don't call me or others names or insinuate anything to avoid supporting or distract from supporting it. Just do it. Support your claim.
  • Reply 146 of 147
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

Europe avoided the mobile communication mess we have in the US, because the government stepped in early and forced everyone to cooperate on one wireless standard.

The problem is that governments can (and often get it wrong). Europe's bet on GSM was a success, but their bet on 3G was a disaster.

US with a population of 300 million people have just beaten the 5 largest European countries (UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain) which also have a combined population of 300 million people on 3G penetration.

This is why all the subsequent spectrum and license auctions in Europe have been technology neutral for the last 3-4 years. The American way of letting the market sort things out --- is better in the long term.
  • Reply 147 of 147
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:

Verizon has 3 million more subscribers than AT&T because of the acquisition of Altell. AT&T has outpaced Verizon in subscription growth for the past two years, AT&T averages 2 million subscribers per quarter and will easily catch up to Verizon by summer. So that 3 million is insignificant.

AT&T Wireless only outpaced Verizon Wireless in subscription growth in the past 2 years because of the massive net adds by prepaid Tracfone. It really has nothing to do with AT&T.

It's not like AT&T pulls in 2 million net adds per quarter and Verizon pulls in ZERO net adds per quarter.