Apple selling 22 iPhones, 28 Macs per store each day

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

But there have been no reports of a Zune in the wild so, it would be an unrealistic ad.

Why waste money trying to convince no one to change from a Zune to an iPod?

That's not true. Since the Zune came out, I've seen three here in NYC.

But I've only seen 50,000 iPods.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    bgrhbgrh Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

For a number of reasons.

For the 1st gen iPhone at least, there were none to sell so sales HAD to slow down.

I got my iPhone day 1 - and the 2nd gen phone wasn't enough to upgrade - the 3rd sure sounds like it will be. I have several friends who are holding out for the 3rd Gen phone - turning blue I might add...

I think the lag on iPhone now is definitely a function of the leaks regarding the next phone - I'd HATE to be the last person to buy a 2nd Gen iPhone...
  • Reply 43 of 55
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

An Apple made ad?

That's a fine question. I have to say, Creative could make some good head-to-head points. I love iPods, between Mrs. Murphy and myself we're on our 6th iPod.

But I like FM. I like the way you can copy files straight from the file system to the player- and back again. I like the price. I don't know much more about them...

If Apple made the ad they could slam MS for ditching their partners. They could slam Wal-Mart for shutting down DRM servers. (did that actually happen?) I've never tried to manage more than a handful of songs on Windows outside of iTunes, so I can't say much about that.

Positives for iPod: I like scroll wheels. I love the look and feel. I think the touch screen interface on the touch is nothing short of brilliant, down to little things like bouncing at the end of a list. The screen is durable. The battery has never left me hanging. App Store - virtually endless potential.

Maybe neither side wants to dig too far into this one.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That number is different because it doesn't really take into account the mega stores here in NYC, which are estimated to do over $150 million.

So depending on how you weight the numbers, you will come up with different answers. But my math is correct, no matter how you look at it.

I am not sure what your point is. Apple, worldwide, has 251 stores as at the end of its 2009 1st quarter filings. At an average of 7 million dollars in sales per quarter per store, i.e., $28 million per year, my point was in support of your, "math." That's all.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

That's a fine question. I have to say, Creative could make some good head-to-head points.

In that case then no. The Zune isn't on the radar and isn't even in the market outside the US. Apple made the Mac v PC ads because PC is all most people know of. They wanted to announce the differences publicly to educate consumers and potential customers. The iPod is all most people know, and Apple would like to keep it that way.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    I wonder how Piper figures out online sales numbers. I've never bought any of my Macs at an Apple store?they've all been online.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Yeah, they're full of kids on all the computers, and at the time they had one single mac mini in the store (london regents street) and I was with a friend who wanted to look at one.

I'm not dissing the sales figures, just that when it's broken down to a Macs sold per day, per store figure, 28 just seems a small figure. Then again given that PC World survives on Tottenham Court Road nearby and is empty all the time, it seems you don't need a lot of revenue to keep a store open, even in prime areas.

I have to agree... that number just seems... small.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

It's not a small number when you think about it. 28 on average, meaning bigger stores sell a little more, and smaller a little less. That's nearly 200 computers a week, and they are not cheap let's face it. Then there's all the extra software and peripherals, iPods, Speakers, keyboards, cameras, cables, Airports, hard drives the list goes on. In this economy 28 per day is good. Most people buy online anyway.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

According to Apple's last SEC filing, they sold 912,000, 795,000, 99,000, 515,000 and 203,000 Macs in the Americas, Europe, Japan, Retail and Others, respectively in the last reported quarter.

As such, the Retail stores represents approximately one-fifth, i.e., 20.4% of total Mac sales.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

According to Apple's last SEC filing, they sold 912,000, 795,000, 99,000, 515,000 and 203,000 Macs in the Americas, Europe, Japan, Retail and Others, respectively in the last reported quarter.

As such, the Retail stores represents approximately one-fifth, i.e., 20.4% of total Mac sales.

Ah, so my estimates were pretty close.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:

Ah, so my estimates were pretty close.

As I was trying to tell you in my first post.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

As I was trying to tell you in my first post.

True, but these are good numbers to support it.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Must be Mother's Day gifts.

How would you fit a Mac in an Easter basket?

That's a no-brainer, use a bigger basket, of course!
  • Reply 54 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's not a small number when you think about it. 28 on average, meaning bigger stores sell a little more, and smaller a little less. That's nearly 200 computers a week, and they are not cheap let's face it. Then there's all the extra software and peripherals, iPods, Speakers, keyboards, cameras, cables, Airports, hard drives the list goes on. In this economy 28 per day is good. Most people buy online anyway.

You also have to consider that there is a large USED (pre-owned?) Mac market too, I haven't bought a new Mac since 1990 and I've had 11 Macs in that time. However, my first Intel Mac WILL be brand new, I plan on buying in the next few weeks.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    Quote:

True, but these are good numbers to support it.

Mel, I thought that you would have taken the time to peruse through the referenced filing and found it yourself. In fact, your assumptions appeared to me that you had seen these numbers before.

But more important, it also goes to show us that research analysts aren't the idiots as many are declaring. More of this audience should take more time to do some due diligence before shooting their mouths off.