Apple trumps Windows PC makers in customer experience study

Comments

• Reply 81 of 111
    I switched to a mac a couple of years ago and I've been happy as a clam ever since.

I had not touched a PC until a couple of weeks ago when a co-worker asked me to help her

with a new hp laptop she just bought.(needed a driver installed) It was my first experience with

vista and I hope it was my last. Installing the driver was easy but I played around in the OS a little

bit and it gave me a headache. When I got home I felt like hugging my mac for some wierd reason. \
  • Reply 82 of 111
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

That's ridiculous. Apple had Chinese (and Japanese Kanji) handwriting recognition technology in 1995. As far as I know, they own that technology. All they need to do is update it for OS X.

Well, that's the point. They did not go forward with it since porting it from the Newton. I really don't know about other languages since my only concern (and the other poster concern) is about English handwriting recognition. I believe no one can argue that MS has one of the best handwriting recognition and Apple is so far behind in this area right now and the main reason they are behind is because they Apple don't offer a tablet type Mac. Check this video out.
  • Reply 83 of 111
    Interesting that this article is next to one about iMacs freezing. I have vista installed on my iMac and would running mac has just as many issues as vista. I would put the satisfaction rating down to people generaly just wanting to believe that paying the extra money for a mac was worth it and will be more accepting when things go wrong.
  • Reply 84 of 111
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Interesting that this article is next to one about iMacs freezing. I have vista installed on my iMac and would running mac has just as many issues as vista. I would put the satisfaction rating down to people generaly just wanting to believe that paying the extra money for a mac was worth it and will be more accepting when things go wrong.

Why are you even fucking around with an iMac? You've never had a single good word for Apple since you've started posting here, and are usually at some pains to remind us that Macs and Apple are no better, and typically worse, than Windows and MS.

So, why are you even fucking around with an iMac?
  • Reply 85 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monosound View Post

It would be nice to see a customer survey only for say OS X server and Windows Server users/customers. and see the result.

Unless you are a .NET developer, OS X server blows doors on Windows as a web server. Pre-installed: Apache 2.x, PHP 5.x, My SQL 5.0, Subversion 1.4--you get a full LAMP stack plus Subversion. All the stability and open source goodness of Linux with killer GUI. The only way you would know the differences is if you have worked with all of them. OS X Server is the shiznit. But most people don't know about it because of a) the price tag (*nix users) and b) the their comfort zone (MS users). But really, OS X server is the best of both worlds if you can afford it (BTW, it the unlimited version is cheaper than Windows unlimited version....but--ha, ha, ha, ha--no where nearly as cheap as Ubuntu server ) For the record: I have a Windows 2003 production web server, a Leopard OS X server in-house, and a vm Ubuntu server.
  • Reply 86 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Dude, donate your iMac to charity(and take the tax write-off) and buy a PC for christsake. Dell, Sony, IBM, Acer, or whomever wants you back. You are a champion of their products.

Or just admit that you are a paid blogger for Microsoft.
  • Reply 87 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Why are you even fucking around with an iMac? You've never had a single good word for Apple since you've started posting here, and are usually at some pains to remind us that Macs and Apple are no better, and typically worse, than Windows and MS.

So, why are you even fucking around with an iMac?

Talk about feeling threatened! Calm down dear, it's only a computer. There's no need to feel so personally threatened when someone says something bad about a Mac
  • Reply 88 of 111
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Talk about feeling threatened! Calm down dear, it's only a computer. There's no need to feel so personally threatened when someone says something bad about a Mac

In what sense is wondering why someone who doesn't really like Macs would be posting on an Apple site suggest that I'm feeling "personally threatened"?
  • Reply 89 of 111
    jaspojaspo Posts: 8member
    xxxxx
  • Reply 90 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

In what sense is wondering why someone who doesn't really like Macs would be posting on an Apple site suggest that I'm feeling "personally threatened"?

It's a free world, they are entitled to post in this forum if they want. But blowing your top over it just makes it look like they hit a nerve with you, which really isn't a good image to get yourself.
  • Reply 91 of 111
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    As they say you get what you pay for, Apple is beating these PC companies by wide margins. You buy cheap crap you get an overall bad experience. I wonder how Lauren's HP laptop is treating her.
  • Reply 92 of 111
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I'll admit to knowing very little about it, but all I do know is as soon as the Mac appeared in the house, networking was a huge hassle which it previously hadn't been when it was another Vista PC in its place - it certainly didn't just work! Regardless of where the fault lies, it still gave the Mac a bad first impression - Apple should make it so that it does 'just work' with Windows PCs.

My brother had the same issue when my father moved into his house with his PowerMac G4 that I had bought for him! My brother had plugged it in and tried to configure it before trying it and for several months he could not get it to work correctly! When I went for a visit I reinstalled my fathers OS X Leopard and did not touch *anything* and it all just worked!

My brother in his windows-bread infinite wisdom did not even try the computer when he originally hooked it up and assumed he had to "configure it!" Had he not f*uck'd with it in the first place, it would have just worked as advertised. But being a Windows person he made the mistake that he would have to configure it by hand and in doing so (screwing with the network and sharing settings) he screwed up the configuration before he had a chance to see if it worked!

When he moved his net to wireless he just added a mac compatible USB wireless adapter, input the network password and he was up and running! of course I was on the phone to hold his hand "just in case".

KRR
  • Reply 93 of 111
    All we did on the Mac was tick to allow the connected printer to be shared over the network. It would appear on the network, but whenever someone tried to print from the networks computers, they always got an 'access denied' message. The Mac would simply not allow any other PC access to the printer even though we had told it to!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

My brother had the same issue when my father moved into his house with his PowerMac G4 that I had bought for him! My brother had plugged it in and tried to configure it before trying it and for several months he could not get it to work correctly! When I went for a visit I reinstalled my fathers OS X Leopard and did not touch *anything* and it all just worked!

My brother in his windows-bread infinite wisdom did not even try the computer when he originally hooked it up and assumed he had to "configure it!" Had he not f*uck'd with it in the first place, it would have just worked as advertised. But being a Windows person he made the mistake that he would have to configure it by hand and in doing so (screwing with the network and sharing settings) he screwed up the configuration before he had a chance to see if it worked!

When he moved his net to wireless he just added a mac compatible USB wireless adapter, input the network password and he was up and running! of course I was on the phone to hold his hand "just in case".

KRR

• Reply 94 of 111
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I am aware that Forrester did the study, but who proposed it? Who paid for the study?

Apple had nothing to do with the study? How do you know this for a fact? Link?

Where you born yesterday? Do you need to know the source of a study that tells you the Earth is not flat?

I have been using many computers since the late 70s and I don't need anybody's study to tell me that OSX and Macs are way above the PeeCees when it comes to user satisfaction. Also, I just don't understand what it is about people who MUST use the absolutely cheapest computer on the planet even if they use it all day long for a living. Do these people walk to work barefoot because shoes are more expensive? Do they drive 10 year-old Yugos? They don't have indoor plumbing because it is seen as a tax on the stupid? They would never consider living in an apartment with fewer than eight people as anything else would be a waste of money?

I certainly cannot afford the finest cars, the finest watches, condos, etc., but one thing that makes me productive and successful is a computer that runs 99.9% of the time without anybody's help and is a joy to use compared to the PCs and Windows Mobiles (yuk!) I also have to use from time to time. The original sticker price has little to do with the real cost of operating a computer over a period of time. I simply cannot afford to run the cheapest computer on the market. I also have no interest in the cheapest shoes, cars, clothes, etc. on the market either.
  • Reply 95 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toysandme View Post

Where you born yesterday? Do you need to know the source of a study that tells you the Earth is not flat?

I have been using many computers since the late 70s and I don't need anybody's study to tell me that OSX and Macs are way above the PeeCees when it comes to user satisfaction. Also, I just don't understand what it is about people who MUST use the absolutely cheapest computer on the planet even if they use it all day long for a living. Do these people walk to work barefoot because shoes are more expensive? Do they drive 10 year-old Yugos? They don't have indoor plumbing because it is seen as a tax on the stupid? They would never consider living in an apartment with fewer than eight people as anything else would be a waste of money?

I certainly cannot afford the finest cars, the finest watches, condos, etc., but one thing that makes me productive and successful is a computer that runs 99.9% of the time without anybody's help and is a joy to use compared to the PCs and Windows Mobiles (yuk!) I also have to use from time to time. The original sticker price has little to do with the real cost of operating a computer over a period of time. I simply cannot afford to run the cheapest computer on the market. I also have no interest in the cheapest shoes, cars, clothes, etc. on the market either.

That's probably because 99.9% of the time those PCs work without any problems either. If you've experience more downtime than this, you are by far and away in the minority, and a long way from what is normal.
  • Reply 96 of 111
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dutskcetisallort View Post

I switched to a mac a couple of years ago and I've been happy as a clam ever since.

I had not touched a PC until a couple of weeks ago when a co-worker asked me to help her

with a new hp laptop she just bought.(needed a driver installed) It was my first experience with

vista and I hope it was my last. Installing the driver was easy but I played around in the OS a little

bit and it gave me a headache. When I got home I felt like hugging my mac for some wierd reason. \

For me, switching to mac for home use was around the MacIntel and it was a hack (until then, the G5's were under powered and trumped for audio use (FPU) by Intel/AMD), and I remember using a windows laptop.

I was in bed and got a blue screen of death, or BSOD, and remember thinking at the time, WOW, I forgot about this and it's almost daily occurrence and having to reboot all the time.

To be fair though, I still have my share of spinning beach balls and while I know it's not the best thing, the key commands OPTION, COMMAND and ESCAPE (Force Quit), are my best friends. I simply don't have your typical Mac user patience.
  • Reply 97 of 111
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

KRR

This is true but also says a lot about the average user. Most won

t have any problems whereas tweakers and those who constantly upgrade parts are always the ones with problems and 9 times out of 10, will have a computer case open somewhere in the house.

The average user be it Mac or Windows, just uses the machine.
  • Reply 98 of 111
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shavex View Post

Well said, I'm tired of all the articles I've seen lately that seems to just be amplifying the Mac VS PC debate. Look it Apple scored an 80 so obviously there are people who didnt like it as much and I know people who dont like Macs at all for very legitimate reasons, they dont like change and they are use to Windows and you cant say thats a wrong way to reason because its their personal choice.

I personally will never recommend Mac to anyone because of their cocky nature.

Ill end with this, Apple HAS to make their software good with their hardware, they have no choice because if the software wasnt flawless with the hardware they have NO excuse! Windows has an excuse, they are developing an OS for virtually unlimited configurations of hardware!

As a comp sci major I would never hope to work for Apple because it would be no challenge to make a OS that has limited hardware.

I condensed your post for greater readability:

ZOMG AAPL QFE WTF OTFC!!1!

If you plan on finishing that computer science degree, you're going to have to learn very picky programming languages, and your inability to grasp the basic syntax of modern English is concerning.

I think it's time to make an appointment with your academic advisor.

P.S. I also hope you never work for Apple.
  • Reply 99 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

For me, switching to mac for home use was around the MacIntel and it was a hack (until then, the G5's were under powered and trumped for audio use (FPU) by Intel/AMD), and I remember using a windows laptop.

I was in bed and got a blue screen of death, or BSOD, and remember thinking at the time, WOW, I forgot about this and it's almost daily occurrence and having to reboot all the time.

To be fair though, I still have my share of spinning beach balls and while I know it's not the best thing, the key commands OPTION, COMMAND and ESCAPE (Force Quit), are my best friends. I simply don't have your typical Mac user patience.

When I booted up my co-workers laptop it seemed as though it took 3x longer then it takes

me to boot up my mac mini. Also, vista just seems so cluttered and busy. I can see why pc users

revert back to XP. I've also had my fair share of force quit in leopard but my old Hp laptop froze

more times than I would like to remember, I guess what I'm trying to say is my mac is much less problematc than the pc's I've had in the past. It's been two years and I have nver had to call

cutomer service, I've never been able to say that about my past PC's
  • Reply 100 of 111
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shavex View Post

As a comp sci major I would never hope to work for Apple because it would be no challenge to make a OS that has limited hardware.

Oh, that was funny.