Any new ipods coming out soon?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I just got back from my trip to japan and could help noticing that japanese phones are encorperating 3d screens, yes real 3d. Im just wondering if apple are going to do the same?

If not, are there any other new ipods coming out soon? like a 30gig nano?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Its Me! Caboose View Post

I just got back from my trip to japan and could help noticing that japanese phones are encorperating 3d screens, yes real 3d. Im just wondering if apple are going to do the same?

3D screen came out few years ago and the market largely ignored. I wouldn't bet on iPods getting one anytime soon.

As for the iPod revision, the focus seems to be iPhone and iPod touch. It is safe to assume some sort of iPod touch revision after the introduction of next generation iPhone, which is expected sometime this summer.

Apple updates iPod nano every September. As with previous updates, I would expect yet another styling change. It has been steadily gaining iPhone technologies (previous model with cover flow and current model with accelerometer), so perhaps it would gain touchscreen this time around.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    I don't think there would be a 30GB Nano, Apple segments their iPods into different categories so people can pick a specific iPod. If they made a 30GB Nano, there would be no point in buying an iPod Touch or a Classic since the 30GB is more than enough for people.

I don't think we will be new iPods till September which is when Apple has been releasing; or rather, introducing the new iPods. It will be the usual marginal storage increase and the form factor overhaul so it will be interesting to see the things they do this year since the iPod is still going really strong.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Its Me! Caboose View Post

So?

Look if you see your iPhone as a tool how would adding 3D make that tool more useful? The last thing I'd want to see on my iPhone is tech that doesn't offer me value.

Quote:

That is a very good question as Nano should get a summer update. The question in my mind is: will Apple double storage. I think it is possible but Nano is close to maxed out for Audio storage. By that I mean doubling storage doesn't make it any easier to find what you are looking for with the current interface. So maybe a flash upgrade or maybe not, what I do expect is new features even some adapted from the new shuffle.

I believe the more interesting update will come to iPod Touch in the fall. First this unit cries out for a lot more flash. Frankly I'd like to see one model basically triple storage if not better than that. A model with a larger screen would be a win also. Finally if PA finally gets it's high integration SoC solution out the door we could see a whole new generation in basic performance. A twice as quick Touch would be really nice.

Actually a Touch with solar recharge capability built in would be extra nice. I'm not sure Apple is that green yet. As a hardware feature it would be slick to be able to simple point your Touch at the sun to enjoy extended battery life.

This is all speculation of course but you can look at prior upgrade dates for a guess at when. What is another issue though, but I expect more on Touch.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 6
    The special edition U2 Video Ipod is on the way. It ranges up to 80 GIGs and it has a red click wheel. It's 50$ extra, but at least you'll stand out at a party...

Source(s):

home schooled
  • Reply 5 of 6
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by julie20099 View Post

The special edition U2 Video Ipod is on the way. It ranges up to 80 GIGs and it has a red click wheel. It's 50$ extra, but at least you'll stand out at a party...

Source(s):

home schooled

julie i warned you about time travel .
  • Reply 6 of 6
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Probably sometime after the Back to School promotion ends in September. Not likely to be any major changes before then, unless a new iPod Touch is released alongside a new iPhone this summer (but I can also see them announcing such a thing with availability later, too).