Apple trumps Windows PC makers in customer experience study

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 111
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heavydevelopment View Post

Unless you are a .NET developer, OS X server blows doors on Windows as a web server. Pre-installed: Apache 2.x, PHP 5.x, My SQL 5.0, Subversion 1.4--you get a full LAMP stack plus Subversion. All the stability and open source goodness of Linux with killer GUI. The only way you would know the differences is if you have worked with all of them. OS X Server is the shiznit. But most people don't know about it because of a) the price tag (*nix users) and b) the their comfort zone (MS users). But really, OS X server is the best of both worlds if you can afford it (BTW, it the unlimited version is cheaper than Windows unlimited version....but--ha, ha, ha, ha--no where nearly as cheap as Ubuntu server ) For the record: I have a Windows 2003 production web server, a Leopard OS X server in-house, and a vm Ubuntu server.

As a web server both Apache and IIS are competent enough that they are secondary in consideration to...well...pretty much everything else unless you're an ASP shop. Both are (or at least can be) secure. Both work out of the box well. Both support complex app stacks (ASP, JSP, etc).

The devil is in the details in how everything fits in your shop and what your requirements are.

OSX Server has the problem of not supporting big iron (like Solaris) because Apple doesn't make any, not as good AD/Exchange/Etc integration support as Windows Server and is more expensive and hardware limited than Linux.

For onses and twoses I'd look at OSX server. Or if I was supporting a mac shop.

But otherwise I'd put VMWare on my boxes and run whatever server OSes as needed. Which doesn't include OSX server for obvious reasons because it won't run on VMWare and xserves aren't supported.
  • Reply 102 of 111
    xwiredtvaxwiredtva Posts: 389member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I would never get an iPod because of its upbeat, insouciant manner. I prefer my MP3 players to have a slightly brooding quality.

And must be brown to match my suit.
  • Reply 103 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

As they say you get what you pay for, Apple is beating these PC companies by wide margins. You buy cheap crap you get an overall bad experience. I wonder how Lauren's HP laptop is treating her.

Straight from woot.com on Monday April 20th, 2009.

I think it's funny, I'd like to share...

Nobody Has Ever Said “I’m Not Cool Enough To Be An HP Person”

Oh my God, you guys! This totally has everything that a totally regular redhead gal like me would want in a computer!

I looked at the iPod Store but they were all, like, unfeasibly expensive. I was so bummed I totally had to bust out my most adorable semi-pout. How can they expect a struggling actr- er, I mean, milkmaid like me to afford one of those, like, cool computers?

Then I and my video crew drove over to a regular-people store and was totally drawn to the HP dv7-1245dx Pavilion Entertainment Notebook. Speed? Um, yeah! A 2.0ghz dual core AMD processor and 4GB RAM (upgradeable to 8GB). A comfortable keyboard? Totally! And a 17” screen. So that covers it. And I haven’t even mentioned the 320GB hard drive, the integrated webcam, the eSATA port, or the HDMI connection. Mainly because I don’t know what any of those things are. I just need something fun that will help me with my acti- er, I mean, milking career. You know, because, like, I get a lot of milkmaid work through my MySpace page and my IMDB listing.

I don’t even care that it’s not 1080p resolution, or that the video card uses shared memory. I’m on a budget, remember? Maybe if you’ve got a SAG card and have appeared in several motion pictures and TV shows, you can afford something fancier. But I’m just regular folks, you know? And I’m not just saying that because I’m contractually obligated to. See how I casually flip my scarf, like a real-life, down-to-earth, quirky geek girl? You can’t learn that in acting school.

Not that I would know what goes on in acting school. I’m too busy being real to go anywhere like that.

All right! We got some good work done here, guys. I’m totally getting this computer. Yup. That’s right. This HP Pavilion 17” Entertainment Notebook. It’s mine. I’m taking it home. Any minute now. Yup.

So, like, is somebody going to hand me the money to buy it, or what?

http://resumes.actorsaccess.com/LaurenDeLong
  • Reply 104 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Oh, that was funny.

What's funny is a comp sci major not knowing Unix... You know the OS that started all this mess... And still thinking winders is the way to go.

From one Comp Sci Dub Maj (circa 1994) to another, get a clue, do your OWN work. Your instructed to KNOW before you THROW so get one, learn it. Then you can bash it all you want. And if you every worked for or visited the MS campus then Apple your tune would change very quickly. Because at one your heard at the other your told.
  • Reply 105 of 111
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

It's a free world, they are entitled to post in this forum if they want. But blowing your top over it just makes it look like they hit a nerve with you, which really isn't a good image to get yourself.

"Blowing my top?"
  • Reply 106 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

What's funny is a comp sci major not knowing Unix... You know the OS that started all this mess... And still thinking winders is the way to go.

Eh? My hearing aid is broken...did you say unix was the os that started all this? Somewhere I have some punch tape that thinks different. And a few 5.25" floppy from from my Apple ][ thinks different too.
  • Reply 107 of 111
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    After reading through this, I saw SO many responses to that xSamplex guy (which he wanted.)

You guys need to learn to spot which posts are real and which posts are ill-thought attempts at conjuring up some feelings from the people reading it.

Here's an example: "Well that's interesting that this article points to 80%, when everyone knows Apple eats babies" <~do not respond!!!
  • Reply 108 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Eh? My hearing aid is broken...did you say unix was the os that started all this? Somewhere I have some punch tape that thinks different. And a few 5.25" floppy from from my Apple ][ thinks different too.

Hey, remember the 60's! I still have an 8.5" Floppy!!! I want to get it framed some day.

Yes, Unix started all of this... It was unix that started the home-brew computer clubs. It was the Home-Brew computer clubs that started the mini-computer. It was the Mini-Computer built by Woz that started the PC. It was the vision of Jobs that started the revolution. It was the Xerox GUI that started the WYSIWYG interface. It was the GUI interface that started the Lisa. It was the Lisa that built the Mac. It was the Mac that started windows.

I guess I summed that up really quick didn't I? Well, 30 years doesn't seem that long I guess.

Somewhere I needed to add it was Unix that was the base for the ARPA net. And it was Unix that started the GNU project. It was the GNU project that started the foundation of which all open source was formed. It was the combination of Open Source GPL (GNU as well) and GNU *nix that started Linux.

So who do we thank for this fine mess we are in?

Woz for the Personal Computer

Jobs for the vision of how we use the computer

Xerox for the GUI and it's representation model of the mouse, we can also thank them for Obj-C.

Richard Stallman for GNU and it's foundation of the GPL and Open Source movement - Originally the creator of all open-source Unix based OS's in my book and deserves the recognition he has not received. More of his work has been duplicated than any other in the computer industry.

Linus Torvalds for the Linux Kernel - There are thousands behind the Linux OS, but Linus started it all with the open-source GPL's kernel file.

And let's not forget....

AT&T for the Unix system responsible for ALL of this. If it wasn't for AT&T's version CC's wouldn't have had access, schools would not have had access and Stallman wouldn't have gotten upset.

Berkley (the university) for BSD and it's MANY MANY MANY students and staff that built the base for Linux, BSD derivatives and all the wonderful (seriously) programming and codework that resulted.

So yea, Unix started it all back in the 60's. Because if we didn't have Unix on mainframes we wouldn't have gotten the Mac thus would not have received the PC as we know it today (with windows loaded onto it).
  • Reply 109 of 111
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaspo View Post

P.S. - Most recent Apple software was not initially developed by Apple. It was bought from other companies and nicely updated with a somewhat consistent user interface - Logic (eMagic Logic), iTunes (Cassidy & Green SoundJam MP), Final Cut Pro (Macromedia KeyGrip), DVD Studio (Astarte DVDirector), etc.

That's four pieces since 1999 (when Apple intro'd Final Cut).

Quite a lot comes in house. I'm not quite sure what point you are trying to make - that Apple doesn't innovate on the Desktop? Because if you are that's clearly bunkum.
  • Reply 110 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Hey, remember the 60's! I still have an 8.5" Floppy!!! I want to get it framed some day.

Yes, Unix started all of this... It was unix that started the home-brew computer clubs.

No, it did not. Unix wasn't started until 1969 and a hobby OS for Thompson and Ritche until 1970. Unix wasn't rewritten in C until 1973 and started being licensed in larger numbers to universities.

In 1973 Kildall had already developed CP/M for Intel Intellec-8 machines...influenced by the TOPS-10 OS.

In 1975 we already had the first home microcomputer already with the Altair with Altair Basic being written by Gates on a PDP-10 running TOPS-10.

Homebrew microcomputers and unix developed in parallel, not in sequence with unix more in the universities and government and micro computers using assembly and basic in homebrew.

In 1975 there were over 5,000 Altiar 8800s. In 1978 there were only 600 unix boxes.

Quote:

It was the Home-Brew computer clubs that started the mini-computer. It was the Mini-Computer built by Woz that started the PC.

No, the homebrew clubs were all micro computers and they were mostly 8080 machines running CP/M. No minicomputers because the PDP machines and other minicomputers were all expensive and owned by universities and companies.

The PC was Intel based and ran an OS that was a simplified CP/M. It can trace it's heritage to Altair's and CP/M and PDP-10s running TOPS-10 more than either Apple or Unix.

Quote:

It was the vision of Jobs that started the revolution. It was the Xerox GUI that started the WYSIWYG interface. It was the GUI interface that started the Lisa. It was the Lisa that built the Mac. It was the Mac that started windows.

Heh, it was Xerox's management's refusal to buy Xerox PARC researchers a PDP-10 to start building their own PDP-10 clone (MAXC) rather than the Xerox SDS boxes...

Quote:

Somewhere I needed to add it was Unix that was the base for the ARPA net.

ARPANET started in 1962 and created in 1969. Before Unix was born. The first machines on them where a SDS Sigma 7 at UCLA, a SDS 940 running NLS at Stanford, a IBM 360/75running OS/MVT at UC Stanta Barbra and a Univeristy of Utah PDP-10 running TENEX (aka TOPS-20).

Hard to be the "base" of something when you didn't even exist. Email existed in 1971 and FTP existed by 1973. Long before Unix matured enough to become really widespead.

Quote:

And it was Unix that started the GNU project. It was the GNU project that started the foundation of which all open source was formed. It was the combination of Open Source GPL (GNU as well) and GNU *nix that started Linux.

Again no. Open source existed before the FSF and GPL, we just never called it that. In the 60s and 70s code was often freely shared. GNU did not start or inspire Linux, it adopted it as their kernel because the BSDs were busy with their own issues and HURD was a fiasco. Linux was inspired by MINIX and probably never would have gotten off the ground had it not been for the USL v BSDi lawsuit that made open source BSD come to a screeching halt around the same time.

Linus has said had 386BSD been available, he probably wouldn't have created Linux.

Quote:

So who do we thank for this fine mess we are in?

Probably Bill Gates. BASIC was a heck of a lot more friendly than assembler, found IBM an OS when DR did something immensly silly, and commoditized operating systems and supported clones of the pricey IBM PCs because they didn't care about the hardware revenue stream and Intel only cared about selling more and more chips.
  • Reply 111 of 111
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaspo View Post

...Apple's product development ... still has to a certain extent, a "not-built-here" anxiety complex...

Until very recently, Apple didn't use many conventional standard protocols or parts - ... Motorola 680x0 instead of Intel, PowerPC instead of Intel,...Custom ROM instead of BIOS/EFI,...

I like my BMW because it looks good, sounds good, and feels good... I usually tend to see more customized Honda Civics and Mitsubishi Mirages on the road than BMWs. Are these less expensive cars bad? The people that drive them seem to like them.

There is no right or wrong - it is a matter of taste. I don't know why people take sides ...

Agree mostly.

BMW analogy is ok, Mac OS X is the main reason to buy Apple hardware IMHO, not for luxury.

CentOS is what I'm using at the moment, but I've used Apple/Microsoft/GNULinux,FreeBSD/Palm also.