ILife '09 upgrade

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello all,

New MAC user - been diehard PC my whole life and decided to move up in the world.

I bought an IMAC that is a discontinued model from J&R: http://www.jr.com/apple/pe/APP_MB325LLA/

It comes with ILife '08. I would like to get ILife '09 and saw the following on Apple's webpage: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/01/06ilife.html

It says, "iLife ?09 will be available this month for a suggested retail price of $79 (US) through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple?s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. The iLife Up-To-Date upgrade package is available to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after January 6, 2009 for a shipping and handling fee of $9.95 (US). Artist Lessons are available through the GarageBand Lesson Store for $4.99 (US) each.

Where do I go to get this upgrade? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    The Apple Store online

www.apple.com

Or at any Apple reseller.

You have to buy a box; they don't have a download version.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The Apple Store online

www.apple.com

Or at any Apple reseller.

You have to buy a box; they don't have a download version.

The iLife Up-To-Date upgrade package is available to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after January 6, 2009 for a shipping and handling fee of $9.95 (US)

I'm looking for the upgrade ($9.95) version.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    If I recall correctly, that was due to Apple's having announced a new version before actually putting it on sale. Anyone who bought a computer between the announcement and the actual day on market could upgrade for the special price as opposed to the regular price.

iLife 09 is worth 80 bucks, as is iWork.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I believe the critical word there is 'qualifying'. If the machine you purchased was discontinued before iLife '09 was announced, then there's no way it would ever have shipped with iLife '09, and you're not eligible for the $10 upgrade offer. This is only for folks who, after iLife '09 was announced, purchased a computer that shipped with iLife '08 on it simply because it left Apple's manufacturing before the iLife '09 announcement, and if it had shipped just a few days later, would have had '09.

But heck, call Apple and ask. Or, call the nearest Apple Store.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leftPCbehind View Post

The iLife Up-To-Date upgrade package is available to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after January 6, 2009 for a shipping and handling fee of $9.95 (US)

I'm looking for the upgrade ($9.95) version.

The key word there is "qualifying".

The way you describe your purchase, you don't qualify.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    No one on this site can really answer your question, rather it is going to be up to Apple to decide if your computer qualifies for this program. So the solution is to call Apple and ask: 1-800-MY-APPLE.

I would emphasize to them that you purchased a "new" computer, even though it was an older model. But be graceful and accept the answer if it is that you don't qualify.