"This disk is in use and cannot be ejected" - why does this happen?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This happens far too often when all windows/apps in use for a CD or DVD are closed, yet it still refuses to eject. Seems related (sometimes) to having evoked Quicklook or Coverflow on the offending disk - does the OS hold on to that preview info and interpret it as a process in use? Anyway, it's really annoying, does anyone know a way to circumvent this? A way to consistently eject disks without getting this message? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I happens because the disk is in use?

It happens every so often on me, and is almost always due to my having a Terminal window open where the shell's current working directory is on that disk. Once in a blue moon, it's because Finder is being cranky, and a relaunch of it (Opt-Ctrl click it in the Dock) fixes the issue.

And, because I don't know if you're a recent switcher or long time user, remember that closing a window does *not* close the app. You can have an app that is still pointing at the disk for its open/save dialog, and sometimes that will cause the issue. I blame gremlins.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

I happens because the disk is in use?

It happens every so often on me, and is almost always due to my having a Terminal window open where the shell's current working directory is on that disk. Once in a blue moon, it's because Finder is being cranky, and a relaunch of it (Opt-Ctrl click it in the Dock) fixes the issue.

And, because I don't know if you're a recent switcher or long time user, remember that closing a window does *not* close the app. You can have an app that is still pointing at the disk for its open/save dialog, and sometimes that will cause the issue. I blame gremlins.

Yeah, actually long time Mac user (Graphic designer/Art Director, 1994-present) - I'm talking about when every app or process that might be referencing something on the CD is apparently NOT RUNNING, and the damn thing still won't let go. It's not a frequent thing, but it occurs just often enough to be a pain. Besides, it's just the kind of thing that shouldn't happen (especially in front of a PC user one is trying to impress)