9to5 Mac says WWDC brings Macbooks and Pro Apps

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
WWDC ushers in new stuffs

Quote:

Also, he said there would be a big Pro apps update. Final Cut Pro, Aperture, Logic, Shake should all see significant updates.

Macbooks and Macbook Pro would see minor updates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    "Minor updates"...perhaps a higher amount of RAM standard, and on the MBP maybe a move to the GeForce GT 130M (slightly superior to the 9600M GT and can support twice as much VRAM). Failing the GPU change, perhaps a slight CPU speed bump.

Here's wishful thinking: a 1680x1050 display in the 15" MBP.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Too much stuff for the WWDC! Besides, Apple has never used a major venue to announce minor things. Granted, Final Cut Studio & Shake updates are huge, but WWDC is for developers and IT pros.

The only reason for bringing up the MacBook and MacBook Pro that might be notable is the new iPhone and perhaps not the tethering but the built-in 3G tech into its laptops.

All this said, 9to5 has been accurate with items in the past. So I guess anything is possible.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Just to play along with the speculation, MacBook Pros might see an update using the GT 130M as standard or even the GT 150/160M as an optional GPU upgrade. Maybe the addition of one high end Duo for CTO. The 17" with an optional quad may be a possibility.

I'd like the MacBook to have a CPU bump as well, 2.26 and 2.66 as standard configurations. And the G110M would be a nice update to the 9400M.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Just to play along with the speculation, MacBook Pros might see an update using the GT 130M as standard or even the GT 150/160M as an optional GPU upgrade. Maybe the addition of one high end Duo for CTO. The 17" with an optional quad may be a possibility.

I'd like the MacBook to have a CPU bump as well, 2.26 and 2.66 as standard configurations. And the G110M would be a nice update to the 9400M.

Hopefully Apple's idea of a minor update will be a 17" quad-core Macbook Pro with a blu-ray burner.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Here's what I'm hoping for.

The Macbooks are silently bumped to faster CPU and larger HDD configs.

Just prior to WWDC Apple announces a new Final Cut Studio, Logic Studio and Aperature.

Final Cut Studio Extreme is announced. It contains FCS, LS and Phenomenon priced at $1999.

Apple uses Final Cut Extreme running on a the WWDC Snow Leopard build with the Marble UI. Apple shows how Snow Leopard keeps these 64-bit apps stocked with RAM and how Grand Central effectively utilizes the 8 physical cores in a Mac Pro.

Apple announces that FCE will be shipping a month after Snow Leopard ships. Mac Pro sales EXPLODE.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    My wish list.

MacBook:

- Cheaper: $999 aluminum base and $1499 high-end

- Illuminated keyboard standard on $1299 model

- 8 GB RAM capacity

- FW800

MacBook Pro:

- Cheaper: get rid of $2499 15-inch (make it $1999), $2499 17-inch

- Quad core processor

- eSATA interface

- 1680x1050 resolution on 15-inch with antiglare option

- 8 GB RAM capacity on low-end 15-inch

MacBook Air:

- Cheaper: $1499

- Smaller: 12-inch screen

- More than 1 USB port

Final Cut Express:

- Redesigned user interface: not radically new, but make it look more modern like Aperture

- Native AVCHD, HDV editing

- Smoothcam (image stabilizer)

- New browser: better video clip organizer

- More Live Type effects

- Better integration with Logic and GarageBand

Aperture:

- Parity with iPhoto: geo tagging and face recognition

- 2.0 is much faster than 1.x, but it is still slow (especially when compared to Lightroom)

- Meta/EXIF/keyword/etc browser and filter

- Customizable views
  • Reply 7 of 15
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Apple desperately needs a 15" MacBook. I've said it like a million times. I don't know why they don't listen to me!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The MacBook update will likely be silent and the MBP will be demoed.

The 15" MacBook Pro is the weapon of choice for many of WWDC's core audience.

It makes sense to update FCS, Logic and Shake at the show, since these will be the primary showcase for Snow Leopard's new powers.

Can't understand why Aperture 3 would need to be held for WWDC though.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    3g enabled MacBooks. Ok, I need me one of those!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The MacBook update will likely be silent and the MBP will be demoed.

The 15" MacBook Pro is the weapon of choice for many of WWDC's core audience.

It makes sense to update FCS, Logic and Shake at the show, since these will be the primary showcase for Snow Leopard's new powers.

Can't understand why Aperture 3 would need to be held for WWDC though.

Frank

I'm wondering if Apple is moving to a common graphics engine behind most of these apps. Adobe's doing this already and it makes sense from a development and import/export view.

They are integrate at some level.

You should be able to acquire video content in Final Cut Pro and use the other apps to produce you content followed by a Logic Pro that understand completely what you've done in Final Cut Studio and an Aperture that can fly in pictures with ease as well.

For once most of the Pro Apps are ready for update at roughly the same time which leads me to assume that they will be linked in some manner that precludes Apple discussing one app alone. Of course Apple could blow my hypothesis right out the water by announcing Aperture 3 next tuesday sans Final Cut and Logic upgrades.

The best way to ensure flawless roundtripping and media management is through a common backend IMO.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    New Cinema Displays would be nice, since the current ones are in desperate need of an upgrade.

Pro apps would be nice too
  • Reply 12 of 15
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Frank

I'm wondering if Apple is moving to a common graphics engine behind most of these apps. Adobe's doing this already and it makes sense from a development and import/export view.

They are integrate at some level.

You should be able to acquire video content in Final Cut Pro and use the other apps to produce you content followed by a Logic Pro that understand completely what you've done in Final Cut Studio and an Aperture that can fly in pictures with ease as well.

For once most of the Pro Apps are ready for update at roughly the same time which leads me to assume that they will be linked in some manner that precludes Apple discussing one app alone. Of course Apple could blow my hypothesis right out the water by announcing Aperture 3 next tuesday sans Final Cut and Logic upgrades.

The best way to ensure flawless roundtripping and media management is through a common backend IMO.

I'm not a programmer so I venture into the developer side not knowing what I'm talking about.

I thought the Pro Apps already shared that "backend" given Apple's development of the 'Core' capabilities of Mac OS X. (Core Video, Core Audio, Core Image etc.) What a lot of people (meaning 'me' mostly) want from Core Image most is the ability to do CMYK and a few other extended niceties.

That would mean Aperture, Pixelmator, Acorn and the like could really challenge Photoshop in the Pro area. I have no idea if Apple is considering extending Core Image like this, but I imagine it's more about politics than engineering.

However, Aperture's dependence on Core Image features would give a motive for holding its release till WWDC.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

New Cinema Displays would be nice, since the current ones are in desperate need of an upgrade.

The 20" is gone, and I'm not sure it's ever coming back. The 24" is up to date.

That leaves only the 30", which I imagine has not been updated because LEDs in that size are still pretty costly and the tech that removes all the bad enviro stuff is being fine tuned. I think the current Samsung 30" LED goes for like $3500. or so, while the Apple 30" has to come in at $2000. or under.

It will be interesting to see how Apple moves with respect to the screen, since there will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth at WWDC if Apple's Pro display goes glossy.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The 20" is gone, and I'm not sure it's ever coming back. The 24" is up to date.

That leaves only the 30", which I imagine has not been updated because LEDs in that size are still pretty costly and the tech that removes all the bad enviro stuff is being fine tuned. I think the current Samsung 30" LED goes for like $3500. or so, while the Apple 30" has to come in at $2000. or under.

It will be interesting to see how Apple moves with respect to the screen, since there will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth at WWDC if Apple's Pro display goes glossy.

I'm hoping for a pro series of displays, a 24" and 30" with exceptional panels (high contrast ratio, matte screen, etc.).
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Apple desperately needs a 15" MacBook. I've said it like a million times. I don't know why they don't listen to me!

I agree on that one. Never understood why they discontinued the 15inch macbook. There are a lot of customers who buy an imac because they dont want to pay for a macbook pro and find the 13 inch screen of the macbook to small.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by salty chips View Post

I agree on that one. Never understood why they discontinued the 15inch macbook. There are a lot of customers who buy an imac because they dont want to pay for a macbook pro and find the 13 inch screen of the macbook to small.

You mean 14" iBook? In that light they replaced the 12" and 14" with a middle of the road 13". I agree 100% with needing a 15" MacBook though. Even a 17". 9400M graphics and midrange CPU is all that's needed by most people.