10.2 Battery Life?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Im not very impressed. On my TiBook 667 Rev B I get arround 4-4.5 hours of battery life while working in Word and other 'light' apps. This is with the screen brightness on max. If I turn the brightness down, I get arround 5 hours.

And my TiBook has a current leakage as well (Damn thing gives me shocks!).

BoeManE
  • Reply 22 of 34
    I just baugh an 700mhz, combo drive ibook with 10.2. i get 4-5 hours of battery life during a fair amount of usage (listening to music and chatting on the net)
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Lil. Tope, what's your brightness set to?
  • Reply 24 of 34
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Ran my first Jaguar battery life test today with my iBook/500/320.

Brightness: set to 3 (out of 16).

Usage: Typing class notes in BBEdit (I haven't re-installed Office).

Processor Cycling: Enabled.

Hard Drive spindown: disabled.

Battery Life (time until automatic sleep): 4.0 hours.

I'm not sure whether taking notes in BBEdit instead of Word made a difference. In any case, the 4.0 real life hours I got today before my iBook went to sleep were definitely much more than I got under 10.1.5. When the iBook went to sleep, the Battery menu item still showed a remaining battery life of 45 minutes.

I have four classes again on Wednesday, so I'll do some more testing.

Escher
  • Reply 25 of 34
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    On a sidenote: Despite the vastly improved Energy Saver control panel in Jaguar, I find it highly irritating that my iBook goes to sleep without warning, especially when it supposedly has 45 minutes of battery life left. Under OS 9, you'd always get a warning message, telling you that your PowerBook would go to sleep in 5 minutes to save memory contents unless you plugged it in. I have gotten no such warnings in any version of OS X. Does anybody know if I need to turn such warnings on or if Apple has yet to implement them?
  • Reply 26 of 34
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>On a sidenote: Despite the vastly improved Energy Saver control panel in Jaguar, I find it highly irritating that my iBook goes to sleep without warning, especially when it supposedly has 45 minutes of battery life left. Under OS 9, you'd always get a warning message, telling you that your PowerBook would go to sleep in 5 minutes to save memory contents unless you plugged it in. I have gotten no such warnings in any version of OS X. Does anybody know if I need to turn such warnings on or if Apple has yet to implement them?</strong><hr></blockquote>

they come up for me on my Powerbook G4/667
  • Reply 27 of 34

<strong>On a sidenote: Despite the vastly improved Energy Saver control panel in Jaguar, I find it highly irritating that my iBook goes to sleep without warning, especially when it supposedly has 45 minutes of battery life left. Under OS 9, you'd always get a warning message, telling you that your PowerBook would go to sleep in 5 minutes to save memory contents unless you plugged it in. I have gotten no such warnings in any version of OS X. Does anybody know if I need to turn such warnings on or if Apple has yet to implement them?</strong><hr></blockquote>

i have an ibook and the warning comes up for me, always has.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Hey, can everybody start posting the actual settings that you use to achieve longer battery life? I'm curious as to what folks are using!

D
  • Reply 29 of 34
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Some people have good numbers here, especially when dimming the screen. Escher your numbers were disappointing, because you turned on energy saving features and STILL got an hour less than advertised, with very light usage. Maybe that has something to do with your strange "automatic sleep" which I have not noticed in 10.1. I still have 10.1.4 and the battery life is a fscking joke. I slept if for 12 hours, and it went from 100% to 78% of battery. 9 wouldn't use more than 1%. Also, the iBook seems to use 2% of battery a minute in 10.1.4. :eek: I am getting Jaguar when I go to college, so I'll post those results here in a while.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    ringoringo Posts: 329member

<strong>... I find it highly irritating that my iBook goes to sleep without warning, especially when it supposedly has 45 minutes of battery life left. ... I have gotten no such warnings in any version of OS X. ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have the same issue in Jaguar. Sometimes when I wake my iBook up when running on battery, it tells me the battery is about to run out, even though I know there is plenty left. If I ignore the message, nothing happens and it slowly figures out how much battery is left after a few minutes.

On 2 occasions, however, it has gone to sleep without warning when the battery ran too low. I have no problem with it sleeping, but why doesn't the warning come up?

Bugs bugs bugs.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Escher: are you sure you don't get a warning. I've always got one (rev. b powerbook). Of course, we got shit for energy saver options on the rev b powerbooks, so I guess we need it.

Ringo: that warning is a bug that only occurs when you wake up from sleep and have a cd in the drive. (I get it too)
  • Reply 32 of 34

<strong>

I can get nearly four hours taking notes in class. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Escher, can you email me concerning the specifics of using a notebook computer in class? My TiBook will come in less than two weeks. While I will tote it to school every day, I cannot imagine actually typing my notes in class! Tell me about your experiences!
  • Reply 33 of 34
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    For me, Jaguar seems to have added about 1/2 hour to my battery life. I'm running a rev. A PBG4-500 with 768MB RAM 20GB HD. I have brightness set to 1 notch (cube?) less than 1/2 with screen shut off and sleep set to kick in after 5 minutes of inactivity. I think the HD is set to the same. Processor cycling is enabled.

With all of this, doing Java coding (basically text entry / editing), light websurfing and email, I get a hair under 4 hours. The battery I am using is one I purchased when the 550 / 667 models came out. The refurbished battery that Apple gave me to replace my first battery (had the "lift to turn PB off now 'feature'") gets only 2 1/2 hours.

I only mention the difference between the two batteries because my newest battery was conditioned the way it says to in the PBG4 owner's pamphlet (charge to full, then discharge to battery warning, then recharge again). Since I don't know how my replacement battery was handled (the original battery had excellent battery life as well) I'm thinking the difference could be in the initial conditioning of the battery.

You folks that have issues with battery life, did you do the conditioning like the owner's pamphlet said? Just curious.

I haven't checked in Jaguar, but in 10.1.5 I got powerdown warnings as the battery went low.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    sweet i disabled the Network Admin setting and now i have 3hrs and 19 mins battery!!!