Apple profits rise 15% on sales of 2.2M Macs, 11M iPods

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple said Wednesday that second-quarter profits rose more than 15 percent to $1.21 billion, or $1.33 per diluted share, on record non-holiday quarter sales of $8.16 billion for the three-month period ended March 28, 2009.

These results compare to revenue of $7.51 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.05 billion, or $1.16 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 36.4 percent, up from 32.9 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 46 percent of the quarter's revenue.

Apple sold 2.22 million Macintosh computers during the quarter, representing a three percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter. The company also sold 11.01 million iPods during the quarter, representing three percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. Quarterly iPhone units sold were 3.79 million representing 123 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter.

"We are extremely pleased to report the best non-holiday quarter revenue and earnings in our history," said Apple chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer. "Apple's financial condition remains very robust, with almost $29 billion in cash and marketable securities on our balance sheet."

Looking ahead to the third fiscal quarter of 2009, Apple said it expects revenue in the range of about $7.7 billion to $7.9 billion and diluted earnings per share in the range of about $.95 to $1.00."

In accordance with the subscription accounting treatment required by GAAP, Apple recognizes revenue and cost of goods sold for iPhone and Apple TV over their estimated economic lives. Adjusting GAAP sales and product costs to eliminate the impact of subscription accounting, the corresponding non-GAAP measures for the quarter are $9.06 billion of "Adjusted Sales" and $1.66 billion of "Adjusted Net Income."

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q2 2009 financial results conference call utilizing QuickTime. The live webcast will begin at 2:00 p.m. PST today. AppleInsider will provide full coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    Sure feels like these guys have a killer surprise up their sleeves still.
  • Reply 2 of 104
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    take that dell, MS and those also ran, the integrated software, hardware model works very well, hey palm what's your balance sheet looks like?

unbelievable and in a down economy, talk about momentum, i think ATT has a few more gifts for SJ to extend the contract.

WOW
  • Reply 3 of 104
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    "... with almost $29 billion in cash and marketable securities on our balance sheet."

I love how they word that ... sounds so formidable! I can't help envisioning a boardroom in some exotic volcano-lair, as Oppenheimer greets investors via video-chat: "Good evening gentlemen"...

Jimzip
  • Reply 4 of 104
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Well Done Apple.

Get well Steve.
  • Reply 5 of 104
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Curious. The trolls are strangely silent. Facts are stubborn things, aren't they?
  • Reply 6 of 104
    Hope this shakes up the market even more to get the other guys off their collective asses and start to really compete. This can only be a win-win for consumers. Hell, I don't mind having a Nokia X-Series and an iPhone or two. At the end of the day its only money.
  • Reply 7 of 104
    Oh~~~ Microsoft please end your miserable Zune line, quick. For there is no hope.

How can Apple manage to sell this many stupid (or not so stupid) mp3 players in a saturated market is just beyond me...and I'm a Apple fanboi.

Especially with one of the most stupid products Apple ever made - the new shuffle! (According to Techstud & many other pundits)

Bloody murder!!!
  • Reply 8 of 104
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Haha- Love it- as I expected, the good old iPod (Touch) saves the day.

Excellent sales for an excellent product.
  • Reply 9 of 104
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Awesome results, but the decline in mac sales is not so good.
  • Reply 10 of 104
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Sure feels like these guys have a killer surprise up their sleeves still.

Even if they don't have a surprise up their sleeves, their smoothing out of their revenue stream with the iTunes store and App Store (in the form of continual impulse sales) has paid off handsomely.
  • Reply 11 of 104
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    Normally these would be "ok" or "expected" numbers but considering the economic meltdown, Apple is still crushing it where it counts...on the balance sheet.

What's interesting is that analysts spent a lot of time tracking Mac numbers during the quarter and pretty much nailed the number....2.22 million. But they totally missed the iPhone number by a wide margin. Even iPods went up. Apple's overall gross margins at 36.4% are just stupid ridiculous for a company that sells computer hardware in this day and age.

Apple is pretty much the envy of its competitors right now. Only Cisco has a comparable bank account. In a time where everyone is pulling back, Apple is stepping on the gas.
  • Reply 12 of 104
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Another blow-out.

Obviously, though. It's Apple, after all.

Products people actually WANT.

We are extremely pleased to report the best non-holiday quarter revenue and earnings in our history,

Oh, and yet another record.

Holiday, or non-holiday, Apple shines.
  • Reply 13 of 104
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We are extremely pleased to report the best non-holiday quarter revenue and earnings in our history,"

Not bad Abramsky, not bad.
  • Reply 14 of 104
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllenKids View Post

Oh~~~ Microsoft please end your miserable Zune line, quick. For there is no hope.

How can Apple manage to sell this many stupid (or not so stupid) mp3 players in a saturated market is just beyond me...and I'm a Apple fanboi.

Especially with one of the most stupid products Apple ever made - the new shuffle! (According to Techstud & many other pundits)

Bloody murder!!!

Stupid or not, right now they have an untouchable line-up and business model.
  • Reply 15 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

Normally these would be "ok" or "expected" numbers but considering the economic meltdown, Apple is still crushing it where it counts...on the balance sheet.

What's interesting is that analysts spent a lot of time tracking Mac numbers during the quarter and pretty much nailed the number....2.22 million. But they totally missed the iPhone number by a wide margin. Even iPods went up. Apple's overall gross margins at 36.4% are just stupid ridiculous for a company that sells computer hardware in this day and age.

Apple is pretty much the envy of its competitors right now. Only Cisco has a comparable bank account. In a time where everyone is pulling back, Apple is stepping on the gas.

It's what SJ said years ago:

Innovating your way out of the recession.

Oh, and these are numbers WITHOUT Steve Jobs in his usual role. Imagine the confidence this inspires.
  • Reply 16 of 104
    Well Done Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 104
    I own over 1100 shares of this beautiful company and have been buying all the way down (after losing my shirt on the way up). I am glad to say, I have my shirt back, plus some suits and an entire wardrobe. The only down side is that 2 of my covered calls will be exercised and leave me owning 200 shares less...which is okay since I was a bit overexposed to this stock. Yay. Yay. Yay.
  • Reply 18 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllenKids View Post

Bloody murder!!!

You're clearly, grossly, unequivocally, out of touch with the market.

Stop thinking of yourself, the world doesn't revolve around you. The Shuffle is a game-changer, just like the iPhone, the Touch, you name it.

The bulk of the market does NOT comprise people like you and me. Technophiles who post in tech message forums. It's all about the average user and what's good for them. And you know what, there's a lot to be said for being the average user. Life is easy when it comes to tech.
  • Reply 19 of 104
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Sweet.
  • Reply 20 of 104
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Haha- Love it- as I expected, the good old iPod (Touch) saves the day.

Excellent sales for an excellent product.

Actually what you expected was

Quote:

Lackluster number$ would not be surprising

Is there a particular medical reason that you spout crap all of the time?