Notes of interest from Apple's Q209 quarterly conference call

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Oppenheimer echoes exactly how I've always felt. OSX cannot and will not run on a substandard laptop under the Mac brand. It simply won't happen. For NetBook users, an iPhone can certainly serve the purpose. I'm glad they have they their head on straight with this matter.
  • Reply 22 of 97
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    No, the difference is that netbooks have miniaturized a user interface intended for larger devices. The iPhone's user interface and software are purposefully built for its size.

The netbook is playing the role of a miniature notebook, the QWERTY keyboard phone is something completely different.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

He has a point, and it doesn't make any sense. He lambasts netbooks for having small screens and cramped keyboards, but suggests the iPhone as an alternative. Hello? The iPhone screen is even smaller and the "keyboard" even more cramped. So if a netbook is no good, that must mean the iphone is total rubbish, right?

• Reply 23 of 97
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

Given Apple's apparent refusal to make a netbook, it's looking more and more likely that I'll be getting a Dell mini 9 or two and installing OS X on them.

I don't think Apple is refusing to enter the netbook space. I just think they're refusing to call their impending tablet a netbook.

Apple wants to reinvent this space - so stay tuned.
  • Reply 24 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Your argument against netbooks doesn't have much credibility given that you've got one.

My argument against netbooks as a market for Apple is credible because I have one. Actually, two. You can't read into what he says about the iPhone too much. He really doesn't think it's a suitable replacement for full OS. He would be a fool to state that. But it is a suitable supplement for computing on a handheld device. It's a huge money maker for Apple, netbooks make no money for anyone, except maybe MS who is selling old versions of XP so it's pure profit to them.

You can bet that Apple has an netbook of their own in their labs, but until there is a viable market for it it is not going to happen. Unit sales with little to no net profit is not what Apple is looking for. They also aren't looking to be the first into a market, they rarely have been.

If they do come out with such a device it will be considerably more expensive than all other netbooks (another reason people will complain) and Apple will most likely set it up as a middle ground device between a notebook and your iPhone. But that in itself is an issue because why do I need two notebooks, and if the net profit from the netbook is considerably lower then why would Apple do it if it will eat notebook margins? You can't just throw a device out in every direction like Dell and see what works. That business model is killing many companies.
  • Reply 25 of 97
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Over 2008 Apple sold 2 million more iPhones and made more revenue than all of the netbooks combined.

Great.

I don't think that netbooks would cannibalise iPhone sales. If Apple had a netbook, it'd just be more sales for Apple. A good thing, no?
  • Reply 26 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

No, the difference is that netbooks have miniaturized a user interface intended for larger devices. The iPhone's user interface and software are purposefully built for its size.

The netbook is playing the role of a miniature notebook, the QWERTY keyboard phone is something completely different.

The "the iPhone must be rubbish, right?" was a sarcastic comment. The point is that if we accept that the iPhone is not rubbish, then we cannot logically use the netbook's small screen and cramped keyboard as arguments against netbooks. Flipping it around, small screen and cramped keyboard do not necessarily imply a poor product, as evidenced by the iPhone.
  • Reply 27 of 97
    Quote:

I don't think that netbooks would cannibalise iPhone sales. If Apple had a netbook, it'd just be more sales for Apple. A good thing, no?

Neither do I. Netbooks aren't phones and they aren't pocketable. They also won't have batteries that last as long or be usable while walking.

They could cannibalize notebook sales, get people annoyed with Apple if their first foray into Mac OS X is with a netbook. As TenoBell states, PC OSes aren't designed for such small screens. I think that Apple would have to rewrite a lot of things to make it work. It seems like a PITA and there would be little gain, and perhaps negative gain if it cannibalized MacBook sales with a decent profit margin in the process.

The only way I can see it is if it was a netbook and tablet, and if it was also geared for some professional end, like medical, where they can grow into a market. But even then i think it's a slim chance.

One thing is for certain, you can't believe what Apple states and you know if they enter the market that they have a much bigger picture and great focus in mind than we do.
  • Reply 28 of 97
    mrparetmrparet Posts: 18member
    I'm floored that the CFO said that consumers aren't interested in netbooks. That market segment is booming.
  • Reply 29 of 97
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Personally I don't care if Apple does or does not make one.

My point is more about how netbooks are not that great for computer makers. Its not a good busines model in the long run. If netbooks really do become popular, more than likely some more PC manufacturers are going to go out of business.

Quote:

Great.

• Reply 30 of 97
    There is a HUGE difference between a 9" display that lets you view most websites and a iPod Touch/iPhone where you must constantly zoom in and out to gather anything. In addition to the fact that you have netbooks with 80+ GB HDD. While I appreciate the usual fud from Apple corporate, its nothing but coverups until they release a netbook. They will... just watch... the ending shows it all... I can see it now "netbooks done right" by Apple.

I also would like to note all the people hoping the plastic white MacBook will die... well these number prove that it won't and that is a very popular MacBook. While I do love the style, it just scratches easily, gets dirty which is something aluminum hides much better. But it is a great value, and I think if further shows Apple they can increase demand by cutting prices for consumer products like the 20" iMac and Mac Mini. They make enough money as is. I think if the new iMac and Mac Mini would be more competitively priced (drop $50-100) you would see more sales and further growth. Apple would continue to have larger profit margins on the iPhone, Mac Pro, MacBook Pros and the high end MacBooks and iMacs. But it would further their marketshare that would further the OS X experience with more software, games, accessories that would only make Mac a better experience and alternative to Windows.
  • Reply 31 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My argument against netbooks as a market for Apple is credible because I have one. Actually, two.

Oppenheimer claims that the market doesn't want netbooks. I contend that he is wrong, as evidenced by the fact that they seem to be selling rather well. It seems odd that someone with two netbooks should be trying to argue that they have no appeal.

Out of interest, why do you have them? You have an iPhone, yes? And a MacBook?

This seems like another situation where Apple is afraid to launch a product for fear of cannibalising more profitable products (in this case, they don't want to release a netbook in fear of cannibalising MacBook sales), where in fact it's more likely that the sales would be additive.

Quote:

the iPhone [is] a huge money maker for Apple

Agreed. I'm very exited for the future of the iPhone.

Quote:

netbooks make no money for anyone

Yes, I'm sure the margins are thin, but I don't think anyone is actually selling them at a loss. Apple could easily charge a premium and get away with it.

Quote:

They also aren't looking to be the first into a market, they rarely have been.

I'm not arguing for that. That ship sailed a long time ago. Every computer manufacturer and their dog has a netbook model now.
  • Reply 32 of 97
    Quote:

The point is that if we accept that the iPhone is not rubbish, then we cannot logically use the netbook's small screen and cramped keyboard as arguments against netbooks. Flipping it around, small screen and cramped keyboard do not necessarily imply a poor product, as evidenced by the iPhone.

If the iPhone ran on a desktop OS GUI and we though ti was great, but then said that a netbook wasn't great, then it would be illogical. Bu the iPhone didn't do what MS with WinMo, they didn't try to cram a desktop OS look and feel into a phone. Apple made a whole new GUI that was optimized for fat fingers. Netbooks aren't doing that.

So do you propose that Apple makes a fourth version of their OS or that netbooks run with the normal Mac OS X, like other netbooks use un-optimized OSes?
  • Reply 33 of 97
    patspats Posts: 112member
    Quote:

He has a point, and it doesn't make any sense. He lambasts netbooks for having small screens and cramped keyboards, but suggests the iPhone as an alternative. Hello? The iPhone screen is even smaller and the "keyboard" even more cramped. So if a netbook is no good, that must mean the iphone is total rubbish, right?

Your argument against netbooks doesn't have much credibility given that you've got one.

I'm interested in netbooks because they are small, and low power, but run full operating systems. I'm thinking of using one as a server (with external USB 2.0 HDD) and one as a network audio player - eventually I'll have several, around the house - it'll be cheaper than a Sonos system but much more flexible as I'll be able to get sound from anywhere - iTunes server, internet radio, spotify etc. etc.

Why not use an ATV for the Itunes server? I do and it works great. Throw on Boxee and you can add pandora to your sources. The price is cheaper then a netbook
  • Reply 34 of 97
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

I'm interested in netbooks because they are small, and low power, but run full operating systems. I'm thinking of using one as a server (with external USB 2.0 HDD) and one as a network audio player - eventually I'll have several, around the house - it'll be cheaper than a Sonos system but much more flexible as I'll be able to get sound from anywhere - iTunes server, internet radio, spotify etc. etc.

Major point about netbooks are that they are cheap. Or, maybe, second major point (having extreme portability as first major point).

Having expensive netbook doesn't make much sense - after all, apple already have Air.

So the way I see it, Apple can do one of the following things:

- Make cheap Mac netbook. I can't see them doing that because that would make an impact on their other Macbook sales. I think there si number of people - me included - who want to legally experience OSX without paying premium for Apple hardware.

- Make expensive Macbook wit innovative/cool/desirable features that would justify premium price. I think that is what Apple spokesman was talking about.

Of course, they might try to do something else - like, make cheap netbook but with cripled, iPod Touch kind of software (not cripled for iPod Touch, but is for computer). Device would be able to browse Internet, check email, have iTunes... maybe some kind of tuned down iLife suite... eBook reader software (from Amazon?)... access to Application Store for games and little utilities... but would miss OSX compatibility. I don't like that idea so I'm hoping they will not got hat way, but when I think about it, such device - with good price - likely would sell well. \
  • Reply 35 of 97
    Quote:

So do you propose that Apple makes a fourth version of their OS or that netbooks run with the normal Mac OS X, like other netbooks use un-optimized OSes?

The changes required of full OS X to make it fit in a 1024 x 600 resolution are minor.

Everything I've read suggests that in terms of speed on netbooks, OS X is better than Windows (no surprise there) and runs perfectly acceptably. Do you not agree? And we already know that Snow Leopard should be even better in that regard.
  • Reply 36 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pats View Post

Why not use an ATV for the Itunes server? I do and it works great. Throw on Boxee and you can add pandora to your sources. The price is cheaper then a netbook

In the UK, the ATV is £195 so straight off the bat, it's not that much cheaper than a netbook + OS X, and higher power consumption = more expensive in the long run.
  • Reply 37 of 97
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Troll much?

? 2% decline in worldwide unit sales year-over-year in a worldwide recession and you honestly write crap like "Macs aren't selling".

? If you think that no one likes gloss screens you need to up your dosage.

? Apple isn't refusing to give people a 12" 4:3 machine, it's the market that doesn't want it. I can't imagine you would have thought your response through so I'll explain it to you. As it stands now, the 13" MB display is shorter than the old 12" PB display. If you go to an 11" widescreen format you get yourself a display that is worthless for viewing pages of text on, whose only value is for video.

? You want price drops yet their profit is down 12% yet their sales only down 2% year-over-year. I'd say they already put in a price cut.

? Your previous comments that the Shuffle sucks is obviously false now that they stated " buyers responded well", or are you going to try to weasel yourself out of that comment, too.

He thinks he represents the market - that the market is a an exclusive reflection of HIS needs, wants and tastes.
  • Reply 38 of 97
    Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer on netbooks: "I see cramped keyboards, terrible software... very small screens... not something we would put the Mac brand on. It's not a segment we're interested in and we don't believe customers are interested in."

That was actually said by Tim Cook
  • Reply 39 of 97
    Quote:

Oppenheimer claims that the market doesn't want netbooks. I contend that he is wrong, as evidenced by the fact that they seem to be selling rather well. It seems odd that someone with two netbooks should be trying to argue that they have no appeal.

If you look at the whole market, people are buying cheap notebooks more than netbooks. And cheap notebooks have a lot more power and features than any netbook. Percentage-wise, netbooks are growing rapidly, but how could they not be it's anew market. Percenatge-wise, netbooks account for a very small part of all PC sales.

But most importantly, if Apple doesn't want to sell cheap notebooks (and you understand this) why expect them to sell every cheaper notebooks that shrunken and called netbooks. They offer nothing to Apple at this time. I can Apple making a small notebook but I can't see them using an atom processor to do it.

Quote:

Out of interest, why do you have them? You have an iPhone, yes? And a MacBook?

I like tech. I like to tinker. I bought the MSI WInd to install Mac OS X to see how it ran. I had to buy the version with XP on it in order to get the faster CPU and double the RAM. It was decent, but like with all my many OSx86 Project creations it's never quite Mac-like. Not just the HW feel, but the OS is wonky in different ways with each system.

I travel a lot so I don't bring my MSI Wind with me, it's not for that. I take my MacBook and iPhone with me. I forgot to take my restore discs and I was playing around with Pwnage's latest release on 10.5.6 and deleted my USB IO KEXT. After a restart I had no USB control. This includes the built in keyboard and trackpad. The solution was simple but I had no restore disc and wasn't near an Apple Store at the time. I used my iPhone for about a week and half, still replying on these forums, too. I finally wanted an OS so I could watch my TV Shows on Hulu so I went to the local Walmart and bought an Acer Aspire One with XP. A few weeks later i was near an Apple Store and had the Genius reinstall 10.5.6 which put the USB IO KEXT back in place. Being able to sign up for an appointment at an Apple Store online is pretty nice.

PS: I now have a partition of my Time Machine drive set up with Leopard so I can hold down the Option key and choose that dive over USB. I find this much more convenient that Target Disc Mode as I don't need two Macs to do it, just the items I usually carry with me.
  • Reply 40 of 97
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrparet View Post

I'm floored that the CFO said that consumers aren't interested in netbooks. That market segment is booming.

Netbooks are recession-candy.

Once the economic climate improves, watch netbook sales tank.

Apple doesn't need to be a part of the cheap junk. Consumers are also interested in Dells, HPs, etc.

If Apple does make a netbook-style device, the differentiator will be great software running in a small package - meaning, dynamic portability. Not price.