in iPhone edited January 2014
See if you guys are able to type these words in the Text Messages app:

abour

abouy

applu

crazw

randi

... plus a lot more.

The question is WHY? It only seems to affect the Text app but not others.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    So can someone confirm this behavior? I wonder if this could be fixed.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Yes, when you first try to type the letters you suggest, the app corrects them to form a real word (or the beginnings of a real word). This is the keyboard thinking you mistyped and choosing the letter it thought you meant to type.

I don't know of a setting to "fix" this, but if you backspace over the corrected word and then re-type it, you can then "x" out of the correction and type the list of letters you suggested. But then you are left with a bunch of nonsense words. This behavior is the same in the SMS, Mail and Notes apps.

Does that answer your question?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    kgbwnetkgbwnet Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Yes, when you first try to type the letters you suggest, the app corrects them to form a real word (or the beginnings of a real word). This is the keyboard thinking you mistyped and choosing the letter it thought you meant to type.

I don't know of a setting to "fix" this, but if you backspace over the corrected word and then re-type it, you can then "x" out of the correction and type the list of letters you suggested. But then you are left with a bunch of nonsense words. This behavior is the same in the SMS, Mail and Notes apps.

Does that answer your question?

No, this has nothing to do with autocorrect .

What I experienced is something different. As soon as you type the first four letter of these words, the keyboard locks up some keys. For example, as you start typing "abou" and then try to hit "r". The keyboard doesn't let you to. It will try to recognize you as hitting either "e" or "t" but not "r".

You can try testing this by first typing "abou", and the type "r" but don't let go. Swipe across the top row and you will see that the it skips "r" or "y" for no reason.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I still think this is auto correction happening. It is ignoring (not locking up) your "r" because the letter r is right next to the letter t. Since "abour" is not a real word in english, it is ignoring the "r" and typing the t anyway. It knows that you really are trying to spell "about".

Instead, if you type the letters "anour" it will type the "r" for you. From what I've read, the iPhone constantly "watches" every letter you type and anticipates which letter you will type next and either suggest a word or just type the correct letter to form the correct word.

I don't think there is a problem here, but you can always take it in to an Apple store and let them explain it to you.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    That's the Auto-Correction feature. If you want to turn it off, go to Settings/General/Keyboard on your iPhone.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I still think this is auto correction happening. It is ignoring (not locking up) your "r" because the letter r is right next to the letter t. Since "abour" is not a real word in english, it is ignoring the "r" and typing the t anyway. It knows that you really are trying to spell "about".

Instead, if you type the letters "anour" it will type the "r" for you. From what I've read, the iPhone constantly "watches" every letter you type and anticipates which letter you will type next and either suggest a word or just type the correct letter to form the correct word.

I don't think there is a problem here, but you can always take it in to an Apple store and let them explain it to you.

Yes, it's auto-correction. Except that it doesn't work so well.

It won't let you type "neat" - it forces you to type "near". It wouldn't let me type "Huckabee" in an older version of the software...it would replace the B with a V. If you pay attention, there are a LOT of words that you can't type without going back over it and backspacing.

I need to make a list.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Auto-correction is never going to be perfect for anyone. I guess it depends on what words/names are in the phone's dictionary and how the algorithm works.

If it is more trouble than it's worth, I suggesting turning the auto-correction off.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    This is really interesting. The same issue plagued the Samsung Instinct. There were even words that would literally lock up the entire phone.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    kgbwnetkgbwnet Posts: 28member
    @JupiterOne: you're correct the first time. My bad! :P

Now this sucks. I have always associated auto-correct as the suggestions that show up as bubbles. What I really want is to turn off the "key locking" but at the same time keep the suggestions. I find that turning off auto-correct in Settings turns both features off.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleeinstein View Post

It wouldn't let me type "Huckabee" in an older version of the software...it would replace the B with a V.

Sounds like a feature to me.