Apple profits rise 15% on sales of 2.2M Macs, 11M iPods

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Nokia 5800 sales 2.8 million since November.

iPhone sales 3.79 million in this quarter alone.

Another iPhone "killer" bites the dust.
  • Reply 42 of 104
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Oh, as expected, continued rip-off margins...

Margins any investor can appreciate, and especially since there are obviously cheaper alternatives out there that can't compete. Apple rocks, face it my friend.
  • Reply 43 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

In fact among all these supposedly iPhone-Killers, 5800 is the worst.

Yet Nokia managed to sell all most 3 million of them, it makes me kinda angry.

Alas, market position & mind share really can do wanders sometime.
  • Reply 44 of 104
    tenten Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

If you live anywhere near an Apple Store, you would soon surmise that these so-called analysts are nothing more than glorified bean counters. Apple's retail platform hasn't missed a beat in how long now? Yet the naysayers seem to spend way too much time listening to people that have a vested interest in seeing the price of Apple shares fall, only to rapidly rise after the quarterly report blows by the "estimates."

Short sellers are the bane of our economy, and the sooner more is down to thwart their self-serving efforts, the better.

Instead of constantly challenging Apple to reveal more and more about Steve Jobs' health, they should have been pushing the SEC to reinstate the "uptick rule."

Ah well, in a perfect world....

Actually, when they LOSE, they help drive the stock up, when they have to cover and buy. I hope there were a LOT of short sellers before this call!
  • Reply 45 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllenKids View Post

Oh~~~ Microsoft please end your miserable Zune line, quick. For there is no hope.

How can Apple manage to sell this many stupid (or not so stupid) mp3 players in a saturated market is just beyond me...and I'm a Apple fanboi.

Especially with one of the most stupid products Apple ever made - the new shuffle! (According to Techstud & many other pundits)

Bloody murder!!!

In case you missed it, the US Military might be one of Apple's biggest accounts. Check out this article in Newsweek: http://www.newsweek.com/id/194623/output/print
  • Reply 46 of 104
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ten View Post

Actually, when they LOSE, they help drive the stock up, when they have to cover and buy. I hope there were a LOT of short sellers before this call!

Perhaps. But it is rather obvious, to me at least, that AAPL is one of the most manipulated stocks out there. It makes is very difficult for long term investors to hang in there as they should.

Too many people nowadays can create havoc with so much as a whisper, and pocket someone else's life savings on their way out the door. It is high time Wall Street stopped screwing around with Credit Default Swaps, Structured Investment Vehicles and the like, and got back to basics with solid companies, investing for the long term.

It is probably not going to happen any time soon, but it is a thought I hold on to. \
  • Reply 47 of 104
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Actually what you expected was

Is there a particular medical reason that you spout crap all of the time?

You need to read my post yesterday morning at 10:37 AM:

I said :

Quote:

Actually I predict the iPod Touch to save the day.

A nice day to you and your royal family.
  • Reply 48 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Curious. The trolls are strangely silent. Facts are stubborn things, aren't they?

Not silent, just hanging upside in a cave sleeping.
  • Reply 49 of 104
    " Mac Rules " as we use to say. Since my first Mac Plus 1985, to

my new iMAC. Since retiring from typesetting with Pagemaker

and the ole Mac ll I've toned down from the power Mac's in the last

few years. I have no need for an iPhone, but I sure want one.

I fought the nay sayers for years. Now I enjoy laying back and watching

them grovel. Whacha say brother in law?
  • Reply 50 of 104
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Perhaps. But it is rather obvious, to me at least, that AAPL is one of the most manipulated stocks out there. It makes is very difficult for long term investors to hang in there as they should.

I'm not sure what you mean. These market manipulations only matter if you are short or trying to time the market. If you are long term, you buy and hold. It makes ZERO difference (to the long term investor) if someone floats a rumor that Steve Jobs is growing a third pinky causing panic and the stock to go down 30% because eventually the stock will come back. Manipulations will only have temporary effects on the prices of the stock and do not affect the fundamentals.
  • Reply 51 of 104
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I'm not sure what you mean. These market manipulations only matter if you are short or trying to time the market. If you are long term, you buy and hold. It makes ZERO difference (to the long term investor) if someone floats a rumor that Steve Jobs is growing a third pinky causing panic and the stock to go down 30% because eventually the stock will come back. Manipulations will only have temporary effects on the prices of the stock and do not affect the fundamentals.

Yes and No. In the short-term, people will short the stock, but in the long-term they will dissolve their long-term holdings if they don't see coherent and factual support of Apple not only maintaining but expanding without Steve.
  • Reply 52 of 104
    Why is the headline for this story in red on the front page? Apple is in the black!!
  • Reply 53 of 104
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Yes and No. In the short-term, people will short the stock, but in the long-term they will dissolve their long-term holdings if they don't see coherent and factual support of Apple not only maintaining but expanding without Steve.

I'm not sure what you mean. I was responding to someone complaining that the market manipulations were making it difficult to be a long term investor.

If there is an problem with the company (like, for example, if the company was unable to function at a high level while SJ was absent) then of course that could hurt long term investors. But that is not an example of market manipulation so it has nothing to do with my previous comments.
  • Reply 54 of 104
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Oh, as expected, continued rip-off margins...

And people are still paying for that in the current economy.
  • Reply 55 of 104
    petermacpetermac Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Awesome results, but the decline in mac sales is not so good.

Given the price of AAPL 6 months ago, the market obviously priced in Mac sales drop of something much larger. I would argue that the small drop measured in this market and compared to what the market had "priced in" makes this an outstanding result. The extra, unexpected margin is just the icing on the cake.

This result, in this market, outstanding result. AAPL is still underpriced, and beginning to look recession proof, or at the very least, able to soften its inevitable effects. I say well done Apple
  • Reply 56 of 104
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petermac View Post

Given the price of AAPL 6 months ago, the market obviously priced in Mac sales drop of something much larger. I would argue that the small drop measured in this market and compared to what the market had "priced in" makes this an outstanding result. The extra, unexpected margin is just the icing on the cake.

This result, in this market, outstanding result. AAPL is still underpriced, and beginning to look recession proof, or at the very least, able to soften its inevitable effects. I say well done Apple

I had read three months ago, that on the technicals, cash on hand, no debt etc, that Apple was worth at least $148 a share, now, that would be higher.

They're worth over $32 in cash a share alone.
  • Reply 57 of 104
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Not this time.

unless you are one of the people purchasing apple products and aiding their mammoth income levels...

"Hi, I want to buy a new iMac"

"Sure, just bend over and I will be with you shortly"
  • Reply 58 of 104
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Nokia sells over a million phones a day, what is your point?
  • Reply 59 of 104
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllenKids View Post

In fact among all these supposedly iPhone-Killers, 5800 is the worst.

Yet Nokia managed to sell all most 3 million of them, it makes me kinda angry.

Alas, market position & mind share really can do wanders sometime.

Number 1. The 5800 is not an "iPhone Killer" as you put it.

Number 2. Maybe so many people have purchased it as the purchase requirements are not as restrictive as the likes of Apple.
  • Reply 60 of 104
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

In case you missed it, the US Military might be one of Apple's biggest accounts. Check out this article in Newsweek: http://www.newsweek.com/id/194623/output/print

Who cares...a sale is a sale. Doesn't matter who it goes to. So if I buy 20 million iPods this quarter its not supposed to count toward their sales vs other players?