Mac OS X 10.5.7 to improve Bluetooth compatibility, stability

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Although it appeared that Apple was close to wrapping up development of Mac OS X 10.5.7 late last week, a new pre-release distribution of the software was dropped on developers Wednesday afternoon with a handful of additional tweaks added to mix.

Most notably, Apple has included a new round of "Bluetooth compatibility and stability fixes" in the latest beta, labeled Mac OS X 10.5.7 build 9J56, according to people familiar with the software.

A number of recent Mac mini purchasers have complained about intermittent Bluetooth connection problems (1, 2) on their new systems, though similar problems are believed to be plaguing a variety of Macs, with one AppleInsider forum member recently noting that the issue extends back to his first-generation 13-inch MacBook.

Another fix in the latest build targets an issue with Personal File Sharing and AFP volumes not being properly recognized as Time Machine shares. However, the other three fixes were relatively minor, two of which add once-missing descriptive information to certain crash logs.

In total, Mac OS X 10.5.7 stands to deliver over 110 individual code-corrections spanning more than two dozen areas of the system. Earlier this month, Apple added Help Viewer to the list of key software components where beta testers should focus their testing efforts.

Though its believed that Mac OS X 10.5.7 remains close to release, Apple still notes that the software is incompatible with the public beta of Safari 4 -- the OS update's lone known issue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    Slash Lane? SLASH LANE??! LOL OMG WTF These dumb names of yours are getting funnier by the day, Dilbert!

You can run but you can't hide!

Rather pathetic actually.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    I really hope they finally resolve the bluetooth issues in 10.5.7. Fairly frequently, my late 2008 MBP gets into a state where it insists that there is no bluetooth hardware installed, and attempting to look at bluetooth settings in system preferences causes a lockup that can only be resolved by rebooting.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    There's no point in releasing 10.5.7 if it lacks compatibility with Safari 4. Unless the update is going to revert back to Safari 4 (something I sincerely doubt), Apple will have to wait until Safari works in 10.5.7 (it's likely a Safari issue anyway).
  • Reply 4 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimdouglas View Post

I really hope they finally resolve the bluetooth issues in 10.5.7. Fairly frequently, my late 2008 MBP gets into a state where it insists that there is no bluetooth hardware installed, and attempting to look at bluetooth settings in system preferences causes a lockup that can only be resolved by rebooting.

Have you tried, in this order, seeing if this problem exists with other users, deleting the BT Plist file, reinstalling 10.5.6 or doing an Archive & Install?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

There's no point in releasing 10.5.7 if it lacks compatibility with Safari 4. Unless the update is going to revert back to Safari 4 (something I sincerely doubt), Apple will have to wait until Safari works in 10.5.7 (it's likely a Safari issue anyway).

It won't come out until there is a new Safari 4 beta. You're right, it probably is a Safari issue and Safari 4 will be a separate DL, like it usually is.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Safari 4 works on the betas - it always has. The issue is it won't actually install on the betas - whether Safari is responsible for this, or it's an installation issue with the actual installer package for the public beta hasn't been said.

Or it is wholely possible that Apple is just informing developers that the installations won't work on the betas, and Apple plans to allow it in the full release. Why they would do this I don't know exactly, but it's possible.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I sense a new Safari 4 beta dropping soon. I'm sure if the compatibility could be added into 10.5.7 alone, it would have happened by now.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    That's odd because I've had no problem bluetoothing pictures from my Verizon cellphone to my iMac.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Don't be silly. It's because this will be the first 64-bit Flash and they need to synchronize the announcement with Adobe.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    This update must have tons of issues to be ironed out.

When all said and done, it will have 400 fixes. LOL

Hopefully this update will be released before Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Have you tried, in this order, seeing if this problem exists with other users, deleting the BT Plist file, reinstalling 10.5.6 or doing an Archive & Install?

My bluetooth issues showed up at same time that widely reported OS X bluetooth stability issues started being reported online. I very much doubt that anything I can do will fix it.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    the update will be out on Monday!
  • Reply 12 of 51
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Still no Blu-ray support? -_-

Pathetic.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by >_> View Post

Still no Blu-ray support? -_-

Pathetic.

You wouldn't get it until at least Snow Leopard, and even then there are plenty of reasons for Apple not to include it.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

the update will be out on Monday!

Is this a guestimate? Or do you know something that this article doesn't reveal?
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Is 10.5.7 likely to be the last update for Leopard?
  • Reply 16 of 51
    I tried the Beta of Safari 4 and really liked it, but after using it a while found that there were some quirks with my Adobe applications. After doing a complete refreshing of my Mac, I went back to Safari 3 and all works well. I can't but think that Safari 4 has some big bugs. I liked its looks, but the price was too high. So I will be slow to adopt Safari 4.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jdanek630 View Post

Is 10.5.7 likely to be the last update for Leopard?

Uhhh...no.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muzzypat View Post

I tried the Beta of Safari 4 and really liked it, but after using it a while found that there were some quirks with my Adobe applications. After doing a complete refreshing of my Mac, I went back to Safari 3 and all works well. I can't but think that Safari 4 has some big bugs. I liked its looks, but the price was too high. So I will be slow to adopt Safari 4.

It's a beta. That's to be expected. The final Safari 4.0 will be out sometime around the same time as Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muzzypat View Post

sad thing is over 5 weeks have passed and not one update to the beta. with major flaws to safari 4, Apple has lost the ball on this one.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    ItalianKid,

Its a BETA - Apple have no responsibility to update you 24/7 with daily builds of Safari. You aren't forced to live with it like iPhone beta users are, because you can uninstall the beta with the included downgrade.