Mac OS X 10.5.7 to improve Bluetooth compatibility, stability

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jdanek630 View Post

Is 10.5.7 likely to be the last update for Leopard?

I expect 10.5.8 will probably be the last update for Leopard (other than security updates).
  • Reply 22 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

There's no point in releasing 10.5.7 if it lacks compatibility with Safari 4.

I certainly hope that the Leopard developers are not wasting a second on making it compatible with a beta product.

On the other hand - the Safari beta developers should have long ago made sure that their current builds work fine with 10.5.7. They'll just have to release a new build to the public.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I expect 10.5.8 will probably be the last update for Leopard (other than security updates).

Snow Leopard is Intel only, and substantially improved under the hood - so it's good that it is supposed to look and feel reasonably similar to Leopard. It would be good to upgrade Leopard in parallel to Snow Leopard, and for longer than they have in the past, if they truly want to let people migrate in their own time.

There'll be people who update to Snow Leopard without having the right drivers etc for their machines, but at least this might minimise that.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    There is no point for developers to test both 10.5.7 and Safari 4 at the same time. It will only ad to the headache when tracking bugs.

10.5.6 bugs are better known and documented, and it is easier to pinpoint what is a Safari introduced bug and what is an OS bug.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

There is no point for developers to test both 10.5.7 and Safari 4 at the same time. It will only ad to the headache when tracking bugs.

Are you saying it might be a DELIBERATE bug, to make sure that feedback is separated for the 2 products?
  • Reply 25 of 51
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

sad thing is over 5 weeks have passed and not one update to the beta. with major flaws to safari 4, Apple has lost the ball on this one.

As far as I remember the flaw also impacts on Safari 3.2.1 as well. I'd probably say that Safari 4 will be released which will include the fix to the security hole found in the PWN2OWN thingy that occurred a few months ago.

For some reason Apple doesn't provide periodic updates to their betas - I wish they did so that when Safari is released it isn't buggy and cash prone.

With that being said, I hope that Safari 4 will be 100% Acid3.

Worse comes to worse though, one can always hope that Chromium pulls through.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jdanek630 View Post

Is this a guestimate? Or do you know something that this article doesn't reveal?

A good guess.

Why next Monday? Its the last Monday before May. The update needs to be released before the new nVidia card that comes out for the Mac Pro.

Most of Mac updates to the OS happen on the Monday. Apple will not release it before then. LOL
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiwai View Post

As far as I remember the flaw also impacts on Safari 3.2.1 as well. I'd probably say that Safari 4 will be released which will include the fix to the security hole found in the PWN2OWN thingy that occurred a few months ago.

For some reason Apple doesn't provide periodic updates to their betas - I wish they did so that when Safari is released it isn't buggy and cash prone.

With that being said, I hope that Safari 4 will be 100% Acid3.

Worse comes to worse though, one can always hope that Chromium pulls through.

I completely agree with you.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

ItalianKid,

Its a BETA - Apple have no responsibility to update you 24/7 with daily builds of Safari. You aren't forced to live with it like iPhone beta users are, because you can uninstall the beta with the included downgrade.

All Apple had to do was test it with web based emails before sending it out for beta testing. It doesn't work for email, making it useless to use and hence why I am upset. 90% of internet users use EMAIL of some sort. I am sure of this.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    Quote:

All Apple had to do was test it with web based emails before sending it out for beta testing. It doesn't work for email, making it useless to use and hence why I am upset. 90% of internet users use EMAIL of some sort. I am sure of this.

Huh!?!?!?

I use Safari daily with Gmail and Y! Mail. In addition, I login daily to my works Web Ap Exchange Server. No a single problem, beyond the increasingly crappy and slow Y! mail.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    Quote:

A good guess.

Why next Monday? Its the last Monday before May. The update needs to be released before the new nVidia card that comes out for the Mac Pro.

Most of Mac updates to the OS happen on the Monday. Apple will not release it before then. LOL

They've thrown me off with the timeline for this update. 10.5.6 ended up getting released much sooner than I thought it would; and 10.5.7 has taken much longer to drop than I had expected. Oh well, I can wait, especially considering the fact that I have zero problems with 10.5.6... I'm not eager to 'update' a system that, from my operating perspective, does not need an 'update'. I look forward to any speed improvements or security enhancements it may offer though.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by >_> View Post

Still no Blu-ray support? -_-

Pathetic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You wouldn't get it until at least Snow Leopard, and even then there are plenty of reasons for Apple not to include it.

Sorry, but i think it is pathetic that Apple still is stonewalling proper Blu-Ray Support. They are intentionally blocking it at this point. They could license it for the OS, but they won't. Programming it would be the easy part. they need to offer it!!

they only reason why they don't is because they want to push Digital Downloads. which to me the entire thing is ridiculous, Blu-Ray shows Apple love because they support iTunes with Digital Copy, but Apple just doesn't reciprocate at all.

I and many others are delaying Apple Purchases until they support Blu-Ray, infact i need a computer, but i may switch to a Sony and use the Mac Dongle Hack, then install Mac OS X.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

Sorry, but i think it is pathetic that Apple still is stonewalling proper Blu-Ray Support. They are intentionally blocking it at this point. They could license it for the OS, but they won't. Programming it would be the easy part. they need to offer it!!

they only reason why they don't is because they want to push Digital Downloads. which to me the entire thing is ridiculous, Blu-Ray shows Apple love because they support iTunes with Digital Copy, but Apple just doesn't reciprocate at all.

I and many others are delaying Apple Purchases until they support Blu-Ray, infact i need a computer, but i may switch to a Sony and use the Mac Dongle Hack, then install Mac OS X.

The only machines that could have internal Blu-ray drives are the Mac Pros, every other Mac would have to have an external drive. But Apple doesn't have to add the drives to their lineup, just add the HDCP support through the OS so you and other cans buy your own 3rd-party BRDs.

I wouldn't say it's pathetic, but it is a business decision. I don't disagree with Apple not adding Blu-ray drives but I do disagree with them not adding full HDCP support in the OS.

If by Mac Dongle hack you mean, EFI-X, you have to see what motherboards they support. The number is growing but it's still very small.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    I can just use Firefox if Safari isb't ready anyway. Release it!!!
  • Reply 34 of 51
    bkortebkorte Posts: 1member
    I've been having graphic card issues with my unibody 15" (freezing, image distortion, etc) MBP, an support rep told me to wait until 10.5.7 comes out... since this problem is very serious and happens every day, it has to be soon...
  • Reply 35 of 51
    rob_06rob_06 Posts: 75member
    Quite possibly tomorrow we will see 10.5.7 as X11 2.3.3 update requires it to be installed first.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob_06 View Post

Quite possibly tomorrow we will see 10.5.7 as X11 2.3.3 update requires it to be installed first.

is this update of x11 coming out tomorrow?
  • Reply 37 of 51
    rob_06rob_06 Posts: 75member
    x11 2.3.3 is up on versiontracker now and states the it requires 10.5.7 tobe installed for it use
  • Reply 38 of 51
    I don't know exactly what the Bluetooth issues are, but I've had issues going back years across every Mac I've had and multiple versions of OS X. I especially have trouble with headsets either not working, working partially or crashing the system. The Mighty Mouse also gives frequent trouble by being jittery each time a new BT peripheral makes a connection. I also have the BT keyboard drop connection only to instantly reconnect. It will also sometimes double or triple the characters typed.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    Quote:

A number of recent Mac mini purchasers have complained about intermittent Bluetooth connection problems (1, 2) on their new systems, though similar problems are believed to be plaguing a variety of Macs, with one AppleInsider forum member recently noting that the issue extends back to his first-generation 13-inch MacBook.

Had this on my first-gen Macbook. After logic board and bluetooth board replacements, the problem was still there. I noticed the bluetooth cable ran directly alongside the heatsink, rerouted the wire to avoid the intense heat, and haven't had problems with it since.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob_06 View Post

x11 2.3.3 is up on versiontracker now and states the it requires 10.5.7 tobe installed for it use

I'd say Monday for the update. Apple will wait till then. I am sure!