New iPhone - When?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I plan to upgrade to the new iPhone when it comes out. I've been hearing around June. Didn't the

previous two iPhone launches happen in June?

Also, I plan to sell my 3G iPhone to a co-worker when I upgrade. How do I reformat my phone to

it's blank slate when I first purchased it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    June or I'll eat my hat.

Quote:

WWDC takes place June 8-12, 2009

• Reply 2 of 14
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Go to settings, under General, scroll right to the bottom to Reset, in there you'll find the option you want.

Or you can plug into iTunes and restore without putting your back up on.

Make sure they are aware of possible high data charges.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

Also, I plan to sell my 3G iPhone to a co-worker when I upgrade. How do I reformat my phone to

it's blank slate when I first purchased it?

• Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

June or I'll eat my hat.

I think it'll come soon too - Carriers here in Australia are starting to offer the current model on pre-paid, and also allowing outright purchase (not on plan)...

I'm still waiting to see the outcome in june... dropped my old crap nokia.. now on an ultra old 6288 until they release the new model.. hopefully it'll only be 2-3months away!!
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I also cant wait myself. I wanted an iphone for so long and finally cant take it anymore if you know what i mean. I was going to get one a few months ago except I started to hear rumors that apple was releasing a new phone to accompany the new 3.0 software this summer. I am aware of the features for the 3.0 software but do you guys know what the new iphone will have such as higher storage capacity and better camera? Any info will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gplonchak View Post

I also cant wait myself. I wanted an iphone for so long and finally cant take it anymore if you know what i mean. I was going to get one a few months ago except I started to hear rumors that apple was releasing a new phone to accompany the new 3.0 software this summer. I am aware of the features for the 3.0 software but do you guys know what the new iphone will have such as higher storage capacity and better camera? Any info will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Wait

Faster hardware is a given. Double the capacity will probably also be a given so we'll have iPhone models to 32GB

The camera is rumored to be an OmniVision 3.2 megapixel sensor that may record video and has some interesting technology (Backside Illumination) for better performance than sensor size would normally dictate.

I expect to see faster graphics based on PowerVR SGX from Imagination and 11n Wifi networking.

I'll probably buy buying 4 of the nextgen iPod Touch. I'll have wait until 2010 to get an iphone because of contractual obligation.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Yes, it must be soon. Here in the UK O2 is giving free iPhone 8Gb and very cheap or free 16Gb with contracts...

Can't wait either!!!
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Awesome, thanks! I have heard about the 32 gb storage and 3.2 megapixel camera. I am just gonna wait...as painful as that is...lol
  • Reply 8 of 14
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

June or I'll eat my hat.

Do we expect availability soon after WWDC? I can't remember if they had a lag between the official announcement and the actual avilability with the iPhone launches. I know it has happened plenty with laptops...

I, too, have been waiting to get one. By the time June comes around I will probably be lining up with a sleeping bag and a tent!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Sorry for the slight thread drift here, but I was planning on buying a couple this summer as well.

My wife and I are almost always near a wifi access point. Is there anyway in the phone to turn off 3G access, so we don't accidentally rack up a huge bill? I'm fine with the accessibility that I can get with an ipod Touch, so I am hoping to get them without the data plans & just use wifi.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    needamacneedamac Posts: 26member
    After a few years of waiting i'm going to give in too. I couldn't see myself paying $600 for the first gen iphone with it's lack of technology and i couldn't see paying for the iphone 3g with it's lack of technology again. But now it's time to reconsider even though they aren't going to enable more than one app to run at one time, i like the idea of the push notifications and eveything else in iphone OS 3.0 it just amazing to me. In a few more months I will be saying bye bye to big red it's been great but the storm isn't going to cut it. I like blackberry, but i think it's time they do a whole new revamp of their OS just like palm did.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

...Faster hardware is a given...

While I like to think they'll boost the CPU somehow also, I'm curious why you say it's "a given".

32GB I think is obvious, but I'm not convinced a faster CPU is such a sure thing.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

While I like to think they'll boost the CPU somehow also, I'm curious why you say it's "a given".

32GB I think is obvious, but I'm not convinced a faster CPU is such a sure thing.

I think it is, in the manner of any hardware upgrade. For instance, it would be quite surprising if Apple release a major upgrade to their laptops without at least offering a faster processor.

The chips get faster, assuming efficiency also improves (as it generally does) there's no reason not to drop them in.

If Apple doesn't boost the CPU, there will one firestorm of shrieking. Two years is a pretty long time to go standing pat on processor speed.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Because of advances in ARM and Imagination cores at the same power envelope. The graphics certainly have to improve. The current hardware does not support OpenGL ES 2.0 which means we are limited in the quality of 3D texture. I look for Apple to move to PowerVR SGX graphics which support ES 2.0 for programmable shaders yet excellent legacy support mated up with a faster ARM core just because the current hardware has been usurped by faster models. Couple that with SDK 3.0 which has a lot more functionality and competition (Palm Pre, Toshiba phone and more) using much faster hardware and to me it becomes evident that Apple cannot peddle the same hardware and hope to deliver an improved experience.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    iPhones in Australia have been available on prepay since launch, you could have lined up and picked one up at midnight on July 11 last year.

We'll get it before most of the world because of time zones, New Zealand gets it first 2 hours before us.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fruitymac View Post

I think it'll come soon too - Carriers here in Australia are starting to offer the current model on pre-paid, and also allowing outright purchase (not on plan)...