Apple to drop new Snow Leopard beta on developers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I am hoping Snow Leopard will include a 64-bit version of nasm. Leopard only includes a 32-bit version.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    saxosaxo Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i386 View Post

btw After SL release we'll all be bitchin' and moanin' for Adobe to bring out CS5 to take advantage of this new multi-core hardware and API we'll have

No way... Adobe has just discovered the existence of Mac OS X and Cocoa
  • Reply 23 of 35
    saxosaxo Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I am hoping Snow Leopard will include a 64-bit version of nasm. Leopard only includes a 32-bit version.

Everything should be in 64 bit in Snow Leopard, as far as I understood. Let's hope so
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i386 View Post

btw After SL release we'll all be bitchin' and moanin' for Adobe to bring out CS5 to take advantage of this new multi-core hardware and API we'll have

Yeah! I love adobe.. CS5 would be great!!
  • Reply 25 of 35
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applefave View Post

Yeah! I love adobe.. CS5 would be great!!

If you want to see OpenCL aware and Grand Central friendly implementation, look forward for CS11.

Adobe is an excellent example what harm for the company and consumers a monopoly can do. If you want to see the next stage, look at Quark. Hope Adobe will put their acts together before they are f***ed off by a newcomer. Their huge portfolio will definitely help them, but does not help the end user.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I expect that Snow Leopard will run on all Intel Macs. I expect that 10.7 will run only on Macs with 64-bit Intel chips i.e. Core 2 Duo and later.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

If you want to see the next stage, look at Quark. Hope Adobe will put their acts together before they are f***ed off by a newcomer.

He traded his copy of photoshop for 1200 barrels of Ferengi wine.

But seriously, my friend Shari uses quarkXpress for her job and she says she loves it. I'm sure there are plenty more people like her.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I expect that Snow Leopard will run on all Intel Macs. I expect that 10.7 will run only on Macs with 64-bit Intel chips i.e. Core 2 Duo and later.

I don't agree with you. Macbooks with core duos came out in 2006. Plus, it doesn't seem bery hard to maintain a version of an OS for both 64 and 32 bit (Microsoft has done it for years as well as just about every Linux distribution).

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Apple kept PowerPC support for a while, I would guess that Snow Leopard comes out for PowerPC even though the rumors suggest otherwise. Remember all Macs were PowerPC through 2005, that's only 4 years ago (and yeah that's long in the tech world but not long enough to drop support completely, think about institutions here).
  • Reply 29 of 35
    The only reason I can see Apple dropping 32 bit Intel is new kernel.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The only reason I can see Apple dropping 32 bit Intel is new kernel.

Snow Leopard will have 32-bit and 64-bit kernels. SL will have to include both for all supported systems as having one driver work on 32-bit will require running the whole system in 32-bit. The 64-bit drivers should be written with 32-bit fallback support, so that shouldn't be an option.

To switch between kernels you hold down the 6 and 4 keys or the 3 and 2 keys at startup. So far, I think all but the Macs running the new 9400M chipsets have the ability to use the 64-bit kernel in SL. I think MS would have benefited from offering a similar setup for XP and Vista.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Snow Leopard will have 32-bit and 64-bit kernels. SL will have to include both for all supported systems as having one driver work on 32-bit will require running the whole system in 32-bit. The 64-bit drivers should be written with 32-bit fallback support, so that shouldn't be an option.

To switch between kernels you hold down the 6 and 4 keys or the 3 and 2 keys at startup. So far, I think all but the Macs running the new 9400M chipsets have the ability to use the 64-bit kernel in SL. I think MS would have benefited from offering a similar setup for XP and Vista.

I was talking about the versions after SL. Some posts suggest that the decision on backward compatibility is based solely on model release date. My point is that the major factor is the tradeoff between the development, QA and support work required and the percent of the installed base which will be left out of the loop.

Building 32/64 bit Cocoa apps is a checkbox in Xcode for 99.5% of the software. As sson as compilers support 32 bit this is not an issue.

If Apple decides to make substantial changes to the kernel code (which is very unlikely for the foreseeable future), there is little technical reason to drop 32-bit support. Well, when the hardware gets really old, it will add QA overhead. Changes in the kernel may require changes in the drivers and this may be not worth the effort for 32 bit drivers for the old hardware.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    can someone please upload the latest build to www.mac-torrents.com please (or somewhere similar) or tell me where i can dl it thanks, cant wait for snow leopard release, hope WWDC isn't going to all about the iPhone this year, like to see what Snow Leopard is really capable of
  • Reply 33 of 35
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skate71290 View Post

can someone please upload the latest build to www.mac-torrents.com please (or somewhere similar) or tell me where i can dl it thanks, cant wait for snow leopard release, hope WWDC isn't going to all about the iPhone this year, like to see what Snow Leopard is really capable of

No, we can't. If you want Snow Leopard betas you can pay that $500 to be a developer or find it by it other means yourself. Welcome to AI.
    4macsoft
  • Reply 34 of 35
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:

I was talking about the versions after SL. Some posts suggest that the decision on backward compatibility is based solely on model release date. My point is that the major factor is the tradeoff between the development, QA and support work required and the percent of the installed base which will be left out of the loop.

Building 32/64 bit Cocoa apps is a checkbox in Xcode for 99.5% of the software. As sson as compilers support 32 bit this is not an issue.

If Apple decides to make substantial changes to the kernel code (which is very unlikely for the foreseeable future), there is little technical reason to drop 32-bit support. Well, when the hardware gets really old, it will add QA overhead. Changes in the kernel may require changes in the drivers and this may be not worth the effort for 32 bit drivers for the old hardware.

32bit adds no overhead what so ever. Apple will keep 32bit around as long as people want it and there are applications that receive no benefit from being 64bit.

64bit does not automatically equal 'awesomeness'.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiwai View Post

64bit does not automatically equal 'awesomeness'.

Quoted for truth. Sometimes it even slows things down!

Amorya