Apple's iPod touch sales double, nearly on par with iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 146
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I don't know if they foresaw it or not, but it was a stroke of genius on Apple's part to install the same OS on the iPhone and iPod touch. Nokia, MS, Google, RIMM & Palm may have something to put up against the iPhone in the smartphone space but they have nothing to compete with the iPod Touch. With two sources for apps demand, and their huge head start, it's getting harder and harder to see how anyone else's app store can catch up with Apple's. Maybe Nokia because of their dominance outside the U.S. But they really haven't shown any prowess in software.

And if there's still any doubt out there, we know where the PMP business is headed now and Zune is dead.

Great insight about the synergy of the iPod and iPhone platforms with gaming. When the touch came out, Apple foresaw the game market, according to the keynote. I believe it was AI that had a really nice comparison of portable gaming devices, and how the iPhone and iPod Touch blew away competitors on the hardware end. So, the real competition for Apple was themselves, if they screwed up the software.

That said, I can't believe anyone that would say Apple could forecast the success of the App Store. I'm pretty sure that blew them away! It seems they were confident it would succeed, but not at this level. I know people have their gripes about the App Store, but no one comes close.

Regarding your stroke of genius, Apple scaling and tailoring the OS with touch interface and portable size OS has further implications. Apple is so well positioned, even the market doesn't realize how much this will help them expand and leverage their base. Halo effect was a one-way phenomenon. Now, there is a growing cross-fertilization between customer segments within Apple's product line. A tablet/netbook yet to be announced will not only plug a gap in their product line, but also add to this if conceived properly.
  • Reply 42 of 146
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I'm pretty sure the next iPod Touch will have GPS and a camera.

+1 on the GPS. (Camera would be nice, but the GPS is my biggest wish.)
  • Reply 43 of 146
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Sorry but iTunes is a derivative of SoundJam- not created by Apple but bought by Apple.

Same thing with CoverFlow. However, Apple has integrated all these things seamlessly.

iTunes is far more than what SoundJam ever was. I had SoundJam, and it was good for its time. But the very first Apple version was already much better.

Apple has evolved the product to horizons that are vastly beyond what the original product was capable of.
  • Reply 44 of 146
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

iTunes is far more than what SoundJam ever was. I had SoundJam, and it was good for its time. But the very first Apple version was already much better.

Apple has evolved the product to horizons that are vastly beyond what the original product was capable of.

Doesn't matter - it basic structure was there with Soundjam. Remember it was OS9.

But regardless, does that therefor mean Apple invented it ? NO.
  • Reply 45 of 146
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

*snip*

Sikalosoft pushed the game as a way for users annoyed by real-life bawling babies to virtually put an end to the noise -- permanently.

"Babies are everywhere you don't want them to be! They're always distracting you from preparing for that big presentation at work with their incessant crying. Before Baby Shaker there was nothing you could do about it," Sikalosoft's promotional materials said."

Doesn't sound like something I'd download or something I'd ever think of creating. \
  • Reply 46 of 146
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Quote:

Groundbreaking?

There are no groundbreaking games for computers, OR consoles either. Hasn't been for years. Monkeyball wasn't groundbreaking either, just a VERY good port.

If you like a few games, but don't like others, then whatever I mention will have you say that they don't matter. But that would be just to you. I happen to really like Crash Bandicoot. You may not. I get a kick out of Bugdom 2, you may not.

You can look through Macworld's game reviews. You will find some very good games there, some pretty innovative.

http://www.macworld.com/apps/index.html?cat=Games

I also enjoy using Oregon Trail, which my daughter and all of her iPhone toting friends have bought (as did my wife).

A recent game I bought is Let's Golf, which is great.

My daughter is a fan of the Metal Gear Solid games, so she bought MGST recently, and likes it.

There's a lot more like these, with many more coming out all the time.

If you're going to simply dismiss them, I can only think that's because you want to.

Thanks for the selections...but your right, to me those games are terrible.

To each is own.
  • Reply 47 of 146
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

What apple does, that most companies do not do, they do not come out ahead of time and tell the market how they going to crush the competition and how their business model is better than everyone elses.

They just do it, do not talk about they put thing in place a head of time to lay the ground work for future product and test the waters to too how it should be done.

Apple has a long term roadmaps of a whole line of products and service and they realize whar needs to be there first and what enables what.

Exactly. well said.

which is why i think Apple will "converge" the iPhone/touch with AppleTV - letting you load and run apps on AppleTV to watch on your HDTV using the iPhone/touch as the remote control. the tech specs that have been reported so far for the next iPhone/touch incorporate the upgrades needed for that - higher HD screen resolution, expanded use of landscape mode, direct bluetooth communication between users, etc.

that would, of course, dramatically enhance the iPhone/touch as a game platform. it would "kill" the PS2 (now in its final phase anyway). with multiple player support, it could even take on the Wii.

this would finally give the AppleTV an important purpose and sell a lot of them. maybe as soon as the Fall this year ...
  • Reply 48 of 146
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    I bought one for my little brother this past Christmas and he went absolutely ape shit nuts for it lol. It's a great little toy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Doesn't sound like something I'd download or something I'd ever think of creating. \

Ya it's pretty sick and definitely something Apple shouldn't have approved of. What I don't get is how an app like that slips in, but an app where you can put your friends pictures on trillion dollar bills and send it to them to be printed out got denied. Really a head scratcher.

I wonder if certain app reviewers have certain reputations, like, "NOTHING gets past HELGA!" I could just see a fat woman barely paying attention, cigarette hanging from her lip, makeup smeared across her fat face, just going along stamping no on a bunch of papers saying "NEIN! NEIN! NEIN! NEIN!"
  • Reply 49 of 146
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

... I think that as the phone/PDA killed the PDA market, the phone/game machine will kill the handheld game machine market. It actually costs less to have the one unit, considering that almost everyone will end up with phone plans that include data and texting. ...

Hammer, nail. HIt.

I think this same effect will be keeping many device manufacturers up at night over the next five years or so. If stories of the upcoming iPhone video are true, the portable camera market and the portable video camera market could dry up overnight as well.

Add-in the portable GPS device market, the portable timepiece market (okay that one's already long in decline), and even things like car keys, credit cards, etc. could easily all be replaced by this one ubiquitous "communicator" that you carry around with you. And none of this even includes the idea that there might be other portables from Apple in the offing like the tablet, which could conceivably replace clipboards, shipping manifests, books, and TVs.

I'm excited. When I was six I used to read comics where most everyone in the future wore skin-tight clothing and carried around a single device that served all these purposes and I'm glad I lived at least to the beginning of this vision becoming reality.

I'm sick of using "money" already and avoid it when I can use a card. I also despise having to schlep around a lot of junk in bags wherever I go even if the bag is small, purse, or even wallet-sized. Imagine a world where students don't have to carry around twenty kilos of books, and everyone has access to all their information at any time from anywhere on the planet.
  • Reply 50 of 146
    Quote:

from the newspaper today-

"Apple has removed from it's collection of for sale iPod applications a program that simulates infanticide.

The 99 cents 'Baby Shaker' initially got past Apple's, apparently loose screening process and was downloaded by an unknown number of customers before the Mac maker pulled the "game."

The Sikalosoft brand application presents the user with a Gerberesque infant who immediately begins to wail. Shake the iPod and the baby eventually goes silent as a red 'X' adorns each eye, indicating the infant has died.

Sikalosoft pushed the game as a way for users annoyed by real-life bawling babies to virtually put an end to the noise -- permanently.

"Babies are everywhere you don't want them to be! They're always distracting you from preparing for that big presentation at work with their incessant crying. Before Baby Shaker there was nothing you could do about it," Sikalosoft's promotional materials said."

The question isn't about why Apple removed it, but why it slipped through in the first place.

no matter how you look at it, Apple still a family oriented company. While they shouldn't try to control software that appears on their computers because computer software is not delivered through the company for the most part, and so they can simply refuse to sell it through their stores, it's different with this, where they are selling all software through their store.

And no, that isn't an argument for allowing direct third party sales.
  • Reply 51 of 146
    Quote:

Doesn't matter - it basic structure was there with Soundjam. Remember it was OS9.

But regardlees does that therefor mean Apple invented it ? NO.

Of course it matters. Why would you not understand that?

There's very little around today that isn't based directly upon something that proceeded it, or is modeled off another company's product.

It's irrelevant that this was based on SoundJam. It's a vastly better product than SoundJam. It's not that Apple couldn't have done this from scratch, but it saved them time and money to buy the product and start with that.
  • Reply 52 of 146
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Everyone on the forum already recognizes that but just had to say it.

Oh. One more thing it isn't just games that is driving sales, I see a lot of people replacing PDAs with Touches. Yes for business. One big thing is the lack of a camera which makes the thing useful even where cameras can't go. The other big thing is the integration of what would be a PDA functionality with web and media.

Dave
  • Reply 53 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Thanks for the selections...but your right, to me those games are terrible.

To each is own.

See, then your opinion just stands for yourself. It doesn't mean that the greater aspect of what you said was correct, just that you aren't happy with what's out there, which is very different.

I try to look beyond what I like.
  • Reply 54 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Hammer, nail. HIt.

I think this same effect will be keeping many device manufacturers up at night over the next five years or so. If stories of the upcoming iPhone video are true, the portable camera market and the portable video camera market could dry up overnight as well.

Add-in the portable GPS device market, the portable timepiece market (okay that one's already long in decline), and even things like car keys, credit cards, etc. could easily all be replaced by this one ubiquitous "communicator" that you carry around with you. And none of this even includes the idea that there might be other portables from Apple in the offing like the tablet, which could conceivably replace clipboards, shipping manifests, books, and TVs.

I'm excited. When I was six I used to read comics where most everyone in the future wore skin-tight clothing and carried around a single device that served all these purposes and I'm glad I lived at least to the beginning of this vision becoming reality.

I'm sick of using "money" already and avoid it when I can use a card. I also despise having to schlep around a lot of junk in bags wherever I go even if the bag is small, purse, or even wallet-sized. Imagine a world where students don't have to carry around twenty kilos of books, and everyone has access to all their information at any time from anywhere on the planet.

This has rapidly become a science fiction mainstay. The personal assistant that keeps track of your life for you and does those little dreary things for you that you can't be bothered to do for yourself.

It will be nice twenty or so years from now when you can talk to it and it will actually understand what you are saying.
  • Reply 55 of 146
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    How exactly do you classify a game as groundbeaking?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Name one......And Im talking groundbreaking, great graphics/sound.....like Super Monkey.

• Reply 56 of 146
    Virgil, you're thinking too far ahead in the future lol. I don't think the next iphone will dry up the camera market overnight. I'm sure it's video recording and photos will be good by phone standards, but not by stand alone camera standards.
  • Reply 57 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Ground breaking mobile game - Every time you go poop, you play it.
  • Reply 58 of 146
    Quote:

Of course it matters. Why would you not understand that?

There's very little around today that isn't based directly upon something that proceeded it, or is modeled off another company's product.

It's irrelevant that this was based on SoundJam. It's a vastly better product than SoundJam. It's not that Apple couldn't have done this from scratch, but it saved them time and money to buy the product and start with that.

It's vastly superior now- after Apple has tweaked it over 10 years. It was basically the same when first launched.
  • Reply 59 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

Virgil, you're thinking too far ahead in the future lol. I don't think the next iphone will dry up the camera market overnight. I'm sure it's video recording and photos will be good by phone standards, but not by stand alone camera standards.

Right? Nikon is shaking in their boots right now as I'm typing.
  • Reply 60 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

When you can't stop playing, get caught, get fired, walk into walls, etc.

Sort of like the AppleInsider itself- ask your buddy solipism with his 8,000 plus posts.