Apple's iPod touch sales double, nearly on par with iPhone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 146
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

For me, the iPod Touch is the only Apple product I will consider purchasing. A very nicely done piece of hardware. I really hope they do unlock bluetooth in 3.0. I think the iPod Touch has sold well to those who wanted the iPhone, but won't switch to AT&T. I for one am in that category. Unlock bluetooth, and you have a killer little machine given you can tether it to your existing cell phone... think of the possibilities!

I have good news for you: on my mate's iPod Touch 2G running iPhone OS 3.0, Bluetooth is completely unlocked for all Bluetooth services as on iPhone.

This has been the same through all 3 beta so far - it's not a bug. In the last 2 betas he says the iPod Touch 2G also gets that new voice memos app... But everyone knows this....
  • Reply 62 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Even more significant may be Apple's emergence as a leader in portable gaming, with quarterly multi-touch device sales now having nearly caught up with those of Nintendo DS, the market leader. Nintendo reported selling 31.43 million DS series handhelds during the 2008 calendar year, or an average of 7.86 million units per quarter compared to Apple's 7 million handhelds reported in its most recent quarter.

Apple is a leader in MOBILE PHONE gaming. Let's be honest, the Nintendo DS is 5 years old and has an installed base of over 100 million, and their sales still are through the roof (even DSi sales are huge, and honestly "WHY?"). Developers can make tens of millions of dollars off of a successful DS title (Nintendogs alone sold over 20 million copies at around $30 a pop). I think that I read recently that the most successful iPhone game made hundreds of thousands for the developer (?). Not in the same league.

The iPhone has "timewasters", games that are fun and pass the time. Unlike every gaming platform out there, the iPhone doesn't have a single game that someone would buy the platform just to play the game. I don't know that it ever will. That doesn't mean small developers can't make a buck, but I don't think anyone is going to sell 20 million copies of a game at $29.99 on the App Store any time soon.
  • Reply 63 of 146
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It's vastly superior now- after Apple has tweaked it over 10 years. It was basically the same when first launched.

I remember it as being much better in the first release. But it was groundbreaking way back when Apple used it to open the original itunes store. That was in what, 2002, 2003?
  • Reply 64 of 146
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I remember it as being much better in the first release. But it was groundbreaking way back when Apple used it to open the original itunes store. That was in what, 2002, 2003?

Yes it was- 03 i think. but then it became eartch shattering when coverflow was added.

Then kind of got bloated once the genius was added.
  • Reply 65 of 146
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

They just do it, do not talk about they put thing in place a head of time to lay the ground work for future product and test the waters to too how it should be done.

Another example is itune, the software for organizing your songs came first then came the Ipod, then a music store...

Look at a bunch of things apple is doing and think about how those ideas can be extended. The next thing it apple TV there are still testing those waters and learning, once the figure it out you will see them going after the set top box market next.

Apple has a long term roadmaps of a whole line of products and service and they realize whar needs to be there first and what enables what.

Apple themselves have stated the AppleTV is a hobby. I think they have already developed a road map, but are just waiting on the content licensing to work out in reasonable terms. I'm not holding my breath for this one, though.

Quote:

Sorry but iTunes is a derivative of SoundJam- not created by Apple but bought by Apple.

Same thing with CoverFlow. However, Apple has integrated all these things seamlessly.

@teckstud,

I think Maetro's point was that Apple knows how to order and develop their acquisitions and in-house products. You bring up a good point, though. It's rare that Apple finds purchases of good value, but when they do, they really make it work for them.
  • Reply 66 of 146
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

This has rapidly become a science fiction mainstay. The personal assistant that keeps track of your life for you and does those little dreary things for you that you can't be bothered to do for yourself.

It will be nice twenty or so years from now when you can talk to it and it will actually understand what you are saying.

actually, it's probably closer to 5 years away. and the x generation iPhone could well be the first one.
  • Reply 67 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

I have good news for you: on my mate's iPod Touch 2G running iPhone OS 3.0, Bluetooth is completely unlocked for all Bluetooth services as on iPhone.

This has been the same through all 3 beta so far - it's not a bug. In the last 2 betas he says the iPod Touch 2G also gets that new voice memos app... But everyone knows this....

Yes- thank you so much. This has made my day.
  • Reply 68 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Apple is a leader in MOBILE PHONE gaming. Let's be honest, the Nintendo DS is 5 years old and has an installed base of over 100 million, and their sales still are through the roof (even DSi sales are huge, and honestly "WHY?"). Developers can make tens of millions of dollars off of a successful DS title (Nintendogs alone sold over 20 million copies at around $30 a pop). I think that I read recently that the most successful iPhone game made hundreds of thousands for the developer (?). Not in the same league.

The iPhone has "timewasters", games that are fun and pass the time. Unlike every gaming platform out there, the iPhone doesn't have a single game that someone would buy the platform just to play the game. I don't know that it ever will. That doesn't mean small developers can't make a buck, but I don't think anyone is going to sell 20 million copies of a game at $29.99 on the App Store any time soon.

I believe they have sold a total of 100 million devices since the beginning. Is that correct, or is that number just for the most recent device before this new one?

Whatever the number, most are trash. My daughter has had at least four starting with the first, but only uses that last model. The same for her friends. Many of her friends have broken at least one, and needed to buy replacements.

Actually, they do use one other model occasionally, to play one game.

So the "installed" market could be much less than 100 million.
  • Reply 69 of 146
    Quote:

Yes it was- 03 i think. but then it became eartch shattering when coverflow was added.

Then kind of got bloated once the genius was added.

You can turn the genius off. I don't bother with is. It's really more like a slightly slow brother.
  • Reply 70 of 146
    Quote:

You can turn the genius off. I don't bother with is. It's really more like a slightly slow brother.

I've never even turned it on once- don't want all my info spewed into cyberspace.
  • Reply 71 of 146
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Virgil-TB2 is about as correct as you can get.

We're basically 3-5 years away from asking ourselves.

"Do I really need small portable digicam?"

"Do I really need a cheap videocam?"
    1. If you look at the success of the Flip Mino HD and other tiny cameras.

2. If you look at the movement towards CMOS sensors.

3. If you take the ramifications of having Smoothcam in iMovie (which obviates the

4. need to have image stabilization in camera)

5. If you understand the compression standards are getting even better

6. If you see that encrypted HD outputs are coming

Extrapolate that and add in some cloud services and it's clear that even laptops will

not survive the mobile computer onslaught that is about the come.

ARM is developing mult-core procs that sip power.

Imagination is developing multi-core GPU that sip power.

Apple is pushing multi touch

The writing is on the wall and it's in BOLD RED folks. Mobile computing is the heir to the throne.
  • Reply 72 of 146
    nizynizy Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Zen Bound, Edge, Rolando, iVampire, to name four.

Fantastic graphics and sound.

I would add Sway, Tap Tap Revenge 2 and 2XL Supercross to that list too! Anyone who doubts the graphical prowess of iPhone should play 2XL - easily the best graphics on the Touch so far (at least until Firemint's Real Racing launches)!

I think that the gaming thing is ONLY PART of the Touches success. I know I got mine primarily as a iPod, but the 2 other deciding factors were Safari and the App Store. I didn't want a contract mobile phone (I don't use the phone enough to warrant monthly bills) so that ruled out an iPhone. The Touch is an incredible device that does many things outstandingly well. Gaming is 1 of those things. That is where its success comes from i think.
  • Reply 73 of 146
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Unlike every gaming platform out there, the iPhone doesn't have a single game that someone would buy the platform just to play the game. I don't know that it ever will. That doesn't mean small developers can't make a buck, but I don't think anyone is going to sell 20 million copies of a game at $29.99 on the App Store any time soon.

but that's the other killer innovation of the iPhone/touch - the app/game prices are so much lower than before! up to now the game industry business model has been high-priced games. and for mobile apps, high prices too. but the App Store is attacking that model with good games and apps

at a fraction of those prices. that is definitely one big reason for the touch's success.

what happened to the Apple tax?

there will always be a premium market for state of the art games that run on the XBox/PS3. but Apple is blowing the rest of it to pieces.
  • Reply 74 of 146
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    In 5 years the DS has an installed base of over 100 million. In less than two years iPhone/ iTouch has an installed base of 37 million, where will it be in 5 years?

Super Monkey Ball sold 300,000 copies in its first month. At $9.99 that's 3 million. Of course between August 2008 and now it has made much more money. Yes other games have earned over a million in revenue.

I don't think Nintendo will be able to continue to sell games for $30. The only reason they were able to do that is because they have the majority of the portable game market.

Quote:

• Reply 75 of 146
    I actually like genius. It makes a much better music selection than shuffle.

Quote:

• Reply 76 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

actually, it's probably closer to 5 years away. and the x generation iPhone could well be the first one.

Well, whenever it happens, I hope I'll still be young enough to care.
  • Reply 77 of 146
    Its not like it tags your personal collection for everyone to see. No one will ever know your obsession for Lindsay Lohan's music.

Quote:

I've never even turned it on once- don't want all my info spewed into cyberspace.

• Reply 77 of 146
    w00masterw00master Posts: 101member
    Quote:

I believe they have sold a total of 100 million devices since the beginning. Is that correct, or is that number just for the most recent device before this new one?

Whatever the number, most are trash. My daughter has had at least four starting with the first, but only uses that last model. The same for her friends. Many of her friends have broken at least one, and needed to buy replacements.

Actually, they do use one other model occasionally, to play one game.

So the "installed" market could be much less than 100 million.

Perhaps this is true. However, I still contend that the iPhone/iPod Touch is a wonderful Mobile PHONE gaming platform, but as a pure gaming platform? Not so much.

No physical buttons. This is the biggest killer in making it a true gaming platform. As much as I love some of the "action" titles on the iPhone/iPod Touch, they simply do not compare to the DS platform. The ease of use, the fluidity of action games on the DS is far superior due to this simple fact.

I do recognize the growth of gaming on the iPhone/iPod Touch, but as a gamer they still have a very long way to go. I find that the iPhone/iPod Touch is *wonderful* for short bursts of gaming, but long-term & more involved/complex gaming? I have yet to see anything that approaches the "high-end" games on the DS or PSP.

However, I will end by saying: who cares? To me, the iPhone/iPod Touch isn't so much a gaming decie, but a wonderful all-around mobile device. But to claim that it will overtake Nintendo anytime soon? Apple has a VERY long way to go.

w00master
  • Reply 79 of 146
    I love how all the iPhone heads come on this thread and talk up the Touch- just love it.
  • Reply 80 of 146
    w00masterw00master Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

In 5 years the DS has an installed base of over 100 million. In less than two years iPhone/ iTouch has an installed base of 37 million, where will it be in 5 years?

But where will Nintendo be in 5 years as well? Gone? I doubt it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Super Monkey Ball sold 300,000 copies in its first month. At $9.99 that's 3 million. Of course between August 2008 and now it has made much more money. Yes other games have earned over a million in revenue.

I don't think Nintendo will be able to continue to sell games for $30. The only reason they were able to do that is because they have the majority of the portable game market.

Perhaps not, but you do know that Nintendo now has a download game/app store as well. I'm sure prices will adjust there.

Just remember, everytime people underestimate Nintendo, they get get their a** handed to them later on.

w00master