Steve Jobs testifies to feeling underappreciated by Apple board

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    This is news buts its relevance to the general public is minimal. I think as long as a company doesnt pull an Enron they are fine in my books. Seriously I think Jobs is totaly right to want this god knows he deserves it the only reason why Apple even came back so strong is singlehandedly is doing hes a marketing genius in every way hes positioned Apple in a position of success.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    I physically bumped in to the guy at E3 several years back coming out of the Sony PSP both. I apologized and saw his name tag, but didn't say anything. He had two or three suits trailing him, taking notes on everything he was saying. Jeans, long sleeved shirt, casual but serious authority.

The guy just had a presence about him. Personally, I admire his management style- no bullshit- gets it done because he knows what he wants. If you work for him, you STFU until you have earned hsi respect, and if he asks rather tells you to jump, don't ask how high- begin jumping and ask if there is anythign you should change about the way you are jumping.

The only problem with that style is that you had better be right- and the guy is. Consistently. time and time again.

People with egos built on something other than their own substantial accomplishment tend to view people like this as threatening. But if they are right, if they are as good as Jobs has proven himself to be, then they are the best people to work for because they only care about your performance. Perform, and you will be rewarded.

It's just funny to listen to people speculate on how he might be an asshole. To most people, he is. But most people on his level are. And I don't think that is a bad thing.

But he had better bitch slap ATT and make sure they don't charge by the minute for video conferencing on the iphone pro but include it in the data plans...

And Snow leopard had better have system wide spell check for posts like this...
  • Reply 23 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I guess the story also illustrates fragility of ego and personalities behind the behemoths we sometimes view as faceless corporations.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why would you e-mail him this? First of all, Jobs will view this information getting out as a violation of his privacy. Second, he hasn't been reading this article along with us, so he'll likely not even know what you were referring to.

I was almost ready to respond exactly the same to tylerk36's post.

Hope he referenced the over one year old deposition so Steve would have some idea what he (tylerk36) is referring to.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

I was almost ready to respond exactly the same to tylerk36's post.

Hope he referenced the over one year old deposition so Steve would have some idea what he (tylerk36) is referring to.

Give him a break, he just joined the forums =P

K
  • Reply 26 of 63
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

And Snow leopard had better have system wide spell check for posts like this...

Last time I checked, system wide spell check is already here. Seems to be checking my spelling just fine as I type this.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The thing about Jobs, as far as we can see from the information publicly available, is that he's the very rare type that combines pretty ruthless business instincts with the temperament of an artist.

I actually don't think it was "about the money", except insofar as money symbolizes affirmation of his vision.

It's that vision that has given Apple its unique position within the CE industry, and which drives both Apple's enthusiasts and its detractors crazy.

Arguably, given Apple's recent track record, having a monomaniacal, detail obsessed visionary at the helm is a real asset, despite the fact that it will probably lead to a lot of bruised feelings and seemingly inexplicable product decisions-- in that the alternative seems to the sort of lackluster committee work or efforts to be all things to all people that makes for Windows Mobile, for instance.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The thing about Jobs, as far as we can see from the information publicly available, is that he's the very rare type that combines pretty ruthless business instincts with the temperament of an artist.

I actually don't think it was "about the money", except insofar as money symbolizes affirmation of his vision.

It's that vision that has given Apple its unique position within the CE industry, and which drives both Apple's enthusiasts and its detractors crazy.

Arguably, given Apple's recent track record, having a monomaniacal, detail obsessed visionary at the helm is a real asset, despite the fact that it will probably lead to a lot of bruised feelings and seemingly inexplicable product decisions-- in that the alternative seems to the sort of lackluster committee work or efforts to be all things to all people that makes for Windows Mobile, for instance.

Has anyone done a serious psychological profile of Jobs? Is there a chance that he may be obsessive-compulsive or have a mild form of Asperger's? His explosive temper and unvarnished opinions seem to indicate a self-censoring issue. What's the average multi-billion dollar corporation CEO profile?
  • Reply 29 of 63
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Has anyone done a serious psychological profile of Jobs? Is there a chance that he may be obsessive-compulsive or have a mild form of Asperger's? His explosive temper and unvarnished opinions seem to indicate a self-censoring issue. What's the average multi-billion dollar corporation CEO profile?

What is the average profile of somebody that would ask such idiotic questions?
  • Reply 30 of 63
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I don't know. What are you like?
  • Reply 31 of 63
    For some reason, the title of this article reminds me of something I'd read in The Onion.

GTSC
  • Reply 32 of 63
    zoggzogg Posts: 10member
    Jobs is another example of the kind visionary genius, like Walt Disney or George Lucas, who can be a severe pain in the backside to the people that work for them, but those 3 were able to achieve truly wonderous things because of how hard they pushed their people. You don't achieve these sorts of things by being wimpy with people. You have to be extrodinarily meticulous, hard driving and never give up on your dream.

Jobs will leave this world with a legacy that will most likely be unmatched for a long time, but will also set the standard for future generations, particularly since most companies could give a crap about qaulity these days.

Okay, I'm stepping away from the soapbox. Thanks for letting me go on a bit, just had to get that off my chest?
  • Reply 33 of 63
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Every narcissist wants his balls stroked, it goes with the personality disorder.

False data is the source of all "disorders". I'm sure you are pure.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Sure Steve Jobs had good reasons to paid. Anybody who has been around may remember that he had hired the sugar water peddler Scully to help run the company in the mid 1980s. The board and Scully ganged up on Jobs and kicked in out. Then they ran the company to the ground - almost. I am sure Steve had to exit his ownership in Apple.

When he came back and saved Apple... the man is entitled to be able to buy some of his stake back at reasonable prices. After all he created value... unlike the CEOs of certain Wall Street banks or insurance companies.

I am surprised he did not take the company private as it was selling for cash value.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    >>>In March of 2008, representatives for the SEC interviewed Jobs for three hours at Apple's Cupertino-based campus as part of their case against Heinen.

That's a hoot. These are the same guys that could not find Madoff with a flashlight and a map. Now we know why. To busy seeking out "evildoers." Heck of a job, Brownie.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I don't know. What are you like?

If you have to ask! :P
  • Reply 37 of 63
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    screw the board, Jobs bring back the company from a near brink of death and THIS IS HOW they treat him? Losers, let see them saving a company from a brink of destruction? Hint: Made OSX open to everyone, more like a catalyst then a solution
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Quote:

Why are those questions idiotic? It would be interesting to see how Steve Jobs stacks up against other CEOs. In case you didn't know, studying successful people in your field is a great way to improve your skills. I wouldn't be surprised if students at business schools are studying him, along with other successful CEOs.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Someone may want to Google: "Microsoft Stock options Willamette Week". (cached_

Gates entire business was expanded by backdated stock options. You don't suppose Gates told Steve about that practice as a trade for being able to steal Apples' work?

No...that is as crazy as saying torture was used to get captured middle easterners to admit they actually planned Cheneys' 911 excuse for the "War on Terror"! There are no conspiracies like that.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,036member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

You know when somebody says, "it ain't about the money"... it's about the money! PERIOD!

I would have loved to have been in the room if the board apologized for making Steve feel under appreciated and got him a Job Well Done plaque. I bet that would have soothed over things nicely. And of course it ain't about the money but we began talks on this date when the stock was at this price and by the time we came to an agreement the stock had risen to this price. So let us go with the former. Right! Hey Steve, I meant to sell my Apple stock when the stock price was over $199.00, not when it dropped to $70 ish. Will you and Apple make up the difference?

So let me get this straight. If you walked into a car lot during a sale event and agreed to buy a car at the sale price. But by the time you filled out all financial paperwork, the sale ended and the car dealership wants you pay the non-sale price. You'ld be O.K. with that.

The board and Steve had already agreed on the amount and price of the option grant. They only disagreed on how is was to be vested. The reason why it was not granted at that price was because that agreement was reached during a meeting in Apples prior fiscal year and no paperwork was filed with the SEC pertaining to the grant during that fiscal year. If they could have used that date, those options would not have been considered back dated. As that was the actually date the board approved it. So Nancy and Fred got lazy and made up a meeting during a time when AAPL was as close to the $17.83 as possible (in the current fiscal year that started in October.). Fred and Nancy should have just reccommended to issue the grant in December and back dated them. There would have been nothing illegal about it if they had done all the proper accounting paperwork. But they also didn't want to make it appear that Apple was back dating these options for Steve Jobs. Because in reality, the price of the options was already agreed upon and approved in a prior meeting.