Minimize in Place hack for jag.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
While reading over at Ars, I found this hack for all of you guys who wanted this:

<a href="http://www.mcgavern.com/mip.html"; target="_blank">http://www.mcgavern.com/mip.html</a>;

[quote]Minimize in Place Feature

This feature was removed from Mac OS 10.2 Jaguar after build 6C48, and now you can have it back again! MacTech has created a disk image that will give you directions and the proper files to bring back this great feature. Enjoy!<hr></blockquote>

ok I think it started over at Spymac..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    I'm a bit confused as to what "minimize in place" means. What does it do?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    tooltool Posts: 242member
    It means that instead of minimizing to the dock, it goes small right there..so it's this itty bitty window on your desktop. I didn't care about it very much, but I know that some people liked it.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    sounds neat.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Thanks for that link bro! I'm going to test this later, I'll post my results.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    It works fine. I've tried it.

Though, I still think Apple had good reason to leave it out. The implementation just reeks of "bad hack" quality. There are so many features that *should* be there that aren't. For example, it's bad design that you can take a mini window of the dock, but can't put it back. Bad design? Or incomplete design? I prefer to think of it as the latter.

Regardless, I'm sure lots of users will use this anyway, flaws or not.

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    All this does is replace the 6C115 Dock with the 6C48 one. Heh.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I agree with Brad, I bet this will show up eventually, and be much more refined too.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    btoberbtober Posts: 69member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>For example, it's bad design that you can take a mini window of the dock, but can't put it back.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Really? It works for me! You do sort of have to wiggle the mini-window over the window portion of the dock, but it does accept it.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by btober:

<strong>You do sort of have to wiggle the mini-window over the window portion of the dock, but it does accept it.</strong><hr></blockquote>That only works if you don't have the Dock hidden. I can't keep my Duck unhidden, for it eats up too much screen real estate. And, it's too much trouble to unhide and rehide it just to put these mini windows back.

It's just that the implementation is lacking, as I said before.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    cmd-opt-D hides and unhides the dock. Anyone find a list of keyboard shortcuts for 10.2, some have changed.

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: Bigc ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Yes, I know about the shortcut to unhide the Dock, but it's still more trouble than it should be.

Shortcuts? I don't know of an official list, but here are the changes I've noticed so far:

Finder:

command-shift-a Applications (was command-option-a)

command-shift-h Home (was command-option-h)

command-shift-i iDisk (was command-option-i)

command-shift-f Favorites (was command-option-f)

command-shift-g "Go To" Dialog (was command-`)

command-` Cycles Finder Windows

command-] "Forward" in Finder window navigation

I don't recall if command-1, 2, 3 were in the old Finder for toggling view -- it's been so long since I used 10.1!

Most apps:

command-option-h Hide Others (hopefully Omni will update their apps to conform to this new standard)
  • Reply 12 of 20
    zadakzadak Posts: 50member
    Is there a way to make minimize in place the default way of minimizing

Roger
  • Reply 13 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Zadak:

<strong>Is there a way to make minimize in place the default way of minimizing

Roger</strong><hr></blockquote>

Either use the check box in the dock prefpane or ctrl-click the minimize button and ctrl-double click the windows titel bar will do the same.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    People seem to think (for whatever reason) that MIP was put in by Apple to test the minimize badges. That might be why it seems like such a hack and doesn't contain all the functionality you might expect.

I for one find this a godsend. Minimizing to the dock simply doesn't fit into my work-flow - I can't seem to find any benefit or time-savings (I end up just closing windows or hiding apps).

MIP brings back the functionality of windowshade with additional visual clues (although it is still too easy to lose sight of the MIP windows). Overall though this is huge for me and makes my day to day life much simpler.

I am a bit nervous using an old dock.app, but I have yet to notice any weird behavior because of it (course I have seen tons of weird behavior with Jag, but who knows if any of this has to do with dock.app). In the long run this old version of the dock isn't a solution - but for now it is great.

And speaking of keyboard shortcuts, where in the world did command-option-dock icon click go???? I swear I did that after I installed Jag and it worked, but now it doesn't? Maybe that is a symptom of the older dock app?

[ 08-27-2002: Message edited by: The Pie Man ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Actually, there are bugs in this older Dock.app, Pie Man. The shortcuts you mentioned (that I find essential for switching apps) are gone.

Specifically, option-clicking an app icon doesn't hide the current one when it switches, command-clicking an icon doesn't show it in the Finder, and option-command-clicking an icon doesn't hide all other apps.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    I'm now minimising in place on my Jaguarised machine and so far so good. I'm always hiding apps and closing windows too and couldn't help thinking how cool something sorta windowshade-like would be. Whether I stick with it for good's another matter.

I love my dock, don't get me wrong, but I've always got 10,000 text files open, and now I can keep track simply by looking.

One thing: running the cursor over the minimised window doesn't reveal the badge (I think that's what's meant by 'badge': the name of the window revealed by the cursor) and minimised text files all look, well, almost identical. So I'm not sure how long I'll be sticking with it.

Pip pip.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    I'm running it and I *love* it!

I especially love the way that if you double click in the title bar, it minimises *where you click*! So I can decide where they go!

And the badge isn't the name on mouseover (which I still have perfectly fine), but the tiny icon of the application that it belongs to in the document icon's lower right hand corner.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Actually, there are bugs in this older Dock.app, Pie Man. The shortcuts you mentioned (that I find essential for switching apps) are gone.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ahhh. Therein lies the rub. It is now a toss-up between which functionality benefits my work-flow more. So far MIP is winning the race (because I can still hide others with a key-combo in most apps). Hopefully one of the great 3rd party Aqua hack apps (not meant in a bad way) will soon wrap MIP functionality into their package so I can get back to using the up-to-date dock.app with the shortcuts I have grown used to using...
  • Reply 19 of 20
    There are plenty free things (like Youpi) that will do customisable shortcuts, if you need that sort of thing. I find MIP indispensable, and am keeping it!
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I love my Dock too. So does my wife.