Which PC only programs need to come to the Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Autodesk is bringing Mudbox, AliasStudio and Toxic to the Mac this year. Rhino is coming to the Mac at some point. All these are CG related. What other PC centric products need to come to the Mac in order to grow market share? AutoCad would be a nice addition. 3DS Max another.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    I would rather see Boot Camp work without issues instead. I like Mac OS and don't like the idea of Safari starting to resemble Windows. Yuck! I have bad eyesight and that is the only reason I use a Mac. I have Windows 7 Beta running via Boot Camp. It is okay, but still not as clean a look as Mac OS X. I don't care for iTunes and would like more options. Also, renting audiobooks from my local library has just now become compatible with the Mac. The choices are limited. I am frustrated when things just don't work on the Mac. I would like to see Apple make an option for Windows 7 pre-loaded on a Mac, with all the bugs worked out. Maybe a special version of Windows, optimized for Boot Camp.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    http://www.samplitude.com/eng/seq/

Sequoia. Master audio app.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    More native (Cocoa) dual pane file managers. I know, ForkLift is there already, yet I'd appreciate a better one, being extensible by plugins.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    After more thought, I would have to add SolidWorks to the list.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

Autodesk is bringing Mudbox, AliasStudio and Toxic to the Mac this year. Rhino is coming to the Mac at some point. All these are CG related. What other PC centric products need to come to the Mac in order to grow market share? AutoCad would be a nice addition. 3DS Max another.

Great to see Autodesk moving AliasStudio [formerly only Unix] to OS X. Nice start, but until AutoCAD arrives, there won't be the big porting for Pro/E, Ansys 11, CATIA and the rest which naturally follows in similar circles.

If Altair would bring products to bear fruit besides just buying SolidThinking would be a plus.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I would love to see Microsoft Access included as part of Mac Office, but I doubt we will ever see it.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    axxmanaxxman Posts: 4member
    a nice GPS mapping program similar to MS streets and trips would be nice. I tried map buddy but the UI was a little clunky to use.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    skyboltskybolt Posts: 111member
    I second the mapping software request -- but not necessarily one that needs GPS. I used to use Delorme Street Atlas, and it was fabulous! Much better than the MS app. We really need a good mapping app.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Great to see Autodesk moving AliasStudio [formerly only Unix] to OS X. Nice start, but until AutoCAD arrives, there won't be the big porting for Pro/E, Ansys 11, CATIA and the rest which naturally follows in similar circles.

Here is an Autodesk survey about how or if to put AutoCad on the Mac. I think it is safe to say that in 2009 Autodesk is serious about the Mac now.

http://architosh.com/2009/04/autodes...on-of-autocad/
  • Reply 10 of 25
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

I would love to see Microsoft Access included as part of Mac Office, but I doubt we will ever see it.

I second that!!!
  • Reply 11 of 25
    cbperrycbperry Posts: 5member
    Every game needs compatibility with mac, and allow multiplayer cross-platform. Ah but such is a dream.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Dragon Naturally Speaking, for the love of God. I have a manual to write and I need something good.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    webraiderwebraider Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

http://www.samplitude.com/eng/seq/

Sequoia. Master audio app.

Sorry dude but Logic beats the pants off this...
  • Reply 14 of 25
    webraiderwebraider Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

We actually used to have access on the Mac. it was good, but then Microsoft pulled the plug on it stating something about the code being too old!
  • Reply 15 of 25
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer, or at least something that can read jnt files.

I had to start Windows in a VM because my instructor used a Tablet PC and the notes, and homeworks were posted in jnt.

If there are such apps, please let me know.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Dragon Naturally Speaking, for the love of God. I have a manual to write and I need something good.

MacSpeech's Dictate is built with the same recognition engine used by DNS.

My suggestions:

? ACT would accelerate the adoption of Mac into business far more than anything else.

? A Streets and Trips GPS solution, as first proposed by axxman.

It's funny how short this list is. Even five years ago, it would have been far different.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

MacSpeech's Dictate is built with the same recognition engine used by DNS.

My suggestions:

? ACT would accelerate the adoption of Mac into business far more than anything else.

? A Streets and Trips GPS solution, as first proposed by axxman.

It's funny how short this list is. Even five years ago, it would have been far different.

ACT is a good one, although web-based competitors like SalesForce.com and SugarCRM are gaining in popularity.

SugarCRM in particular is really taking off because it offers a free opensource edition.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

QFT !

I remember there being a few PC apps that I just pined for and now I struggle to think of any that I want that cannot be replicated on Macs.

I'd say most of it are apps that rip HD-DVD or Blu-ray discs. DVD ripping is cake nowadays.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    mbmcavoymbmcavoy Posts: 157member
    More CAD programs would certainly help.

I would say a big thing would be a full-featured version of MS Office, including programmability.

I have iWork at home, but I don't really have much personal need and it always suffices. My wife uses it more than me, but gets frustrated because she also uses MS Office at work and on our PC, and has a hard time moving back and forth.

However, at work I am a bit of an MS Office Power user. I do a fair amount of VBA work (mostly Excel) and have used Access regularly - although moving up to SQL. We use Visio all the time, and getting going with Infopath (Cool, but still not very mature). Looking at using Visual Studio Tools for Office in the future. I bring my ancient Dell to it's knees almost daily!

But of course, this is not in Microsoft's best interests, so it will never happen... Even if it's not strictly necessary for most people (iWork and OpenOffice seem good), I think this is one of the biggest barriers to widespread business adoption of Macs.

BTW, I actually like the Ribbon in Office 2007, I just wish it was consistently used.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    VirtuaGirl is an app Mac users don't get. Desktop-based strippers are sorely missed.

I guess some accounting software would be good too but strippers first so that the accounting isn't so boring.

Sage and Quickbooks. I know that Quickbooks has a Mac version but it's only really good for the US AFAIK.

Proper thin client support perhaps even for running an OS X desktop from ultra-thin client PCs. It would be cool to have just one Mac, maybe a low end quad Mac Pro for an office of say 10 people who do email and web browsing that centralizes the data and keeps costs down. Obviously Apple wouldn't be too happy with this as you'd be spending £1900 with them and 10 x £100 PCs = £2900 but it sure beats buying 10 x £500 Minis + 10 x £100 displays = £6000.

The costs could be cut down even further on the thin client setup.