Snow Leopard to offer screen recording via QuickTime X Player

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

The QuickTime and iTunes team have long made retarded decisions. Instead of spinning this stuff off into other apps the QT team insists on bloating the QuickTime Player with recording features.

This feature should be in Grab.app...but NOOOOOOOOOOO, Apple's QuickTime team insists on muddling the waters by making users use two different apps for screen captures.

Seriously, Apple, where's the logic? It kills me to see parts of OS X so brilliantly designed and other parts so neglected.

My guess is that it has to do with the underlying architecture of QuickTime.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Good riddance. Can finally dump Snapz Pro and its retarded interface.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Don't feed the troll, whatisgoingon is yet another one of those people who post and run. Notice he couldn't be bothered hanging around for the discussion? thats the kind of scum who make such remarks simply to invoke a flame war.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Seriously, what's stopping you from working at Apple and sitting in on engineering meetings to shape the direction of the software? Your comment is a joke when you understand this "Service" won't "bloat" the software.

Well holy shit, Mr. I-Know-It's-A-Service-And-Not-Some-Exclusive-QuickTime-Player-Feature. Are you breaking an NDA and killing bothans to get this information or are you just guessing like the rest of us?

If it's indeed a service or part of the framework and available to developers, give us some evidence.

BTW, you still haven't explained how OpenCL is dependent on OpenGL 3.1. Methinks you're just blowing a lot of hot air as usual.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    greglogreglo Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Seriously, what's stopping you from working at Apple and sitting in on engineering meetings to shape the direction of the software? Your comment is a joke when you understand this "Service" won't "bloat" the software.

Probably a lot less than what's stopping you.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I would agree that screen recording in Quicktime Player is less logical than in Grab but they may deprecate Grab altogether and just have Quicktime Player do it all.

I'm really hoping they don't have separate apps as mentioned a while back. Having Quicktime Player X separate from a Quicktime Pro app. It'll be like having to keep both imovie 08 and imovie 07.

I never actually use Grab.app as I just hit the hot-key so it makes sense to be just a quicktime service but what would be nice is if the hot-key brought up a minimal capture control so you could edit your selection. Having another hot-key for video allows you to capture video inside a running fullscreen app too.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    webraiderwebraider Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by modular View Post

no it wont. the ability to screen capture has been around for a while. this will hurt snapz pro sales, and thats about it.

Not necessarily, This could be limited in it's ability. It may not capture external and internal audio for example. It probably won't work at all on DVD's like Apple's built in screen capture won't capture images while DVD player is going. It may not have a lot of options on how the image is captured. We'll have to wait and see.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greglo View Post

Probably a lot less than what's stopping you.

I've worked there greglo. Twice for Steve. I'd read more and find out about who posts here before you assume.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I would agree that screen recording in Quicktime Player is less logical than in Grab but they may deprecate Grab altogether and just have Quicktime Player do it all.

I'm really hoping they don't have separate apps as mentioned a while back. Having Quicktime Player X separate from a Quicktime Pro app. It'll be like having to keep both imovie 08 and imovie 07.

I never actually use Grab.app as I just hit the hot-key so it makes sense to be just a quicktime service but what would be nice is if the hot-key brought up a minimal capture control so you could edit your selection. Having another hot-key for video allows you to capture video inside a running fullscreen app too.

Grab has been around since NEXTSTEP 2.0. It's a Demonstration application that was moved to Utilities and extended a bit over time. It won't go anywhere. It's a lightweight Cocoa app.

QuickTime Player X may or may not merge all present functionality with QT Pro [I doubt it] but I'd think they'd want to make QT Player X be extended for the Cocoa move to work more with OS X and possibly end-of-life it for Windows.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    martinzmartinz Posts: 92member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by supremedesigner View Post

Well, not only snapz but other programs such as LiteSwitch X (tabbing), Lil Snitch (apple now included blocking thing), and other countless programs I cannot remember.

All of the dashboard-like apps that were better than what we ended up with - and stopped using completely within days of installing Tiger.

Anyway, if they could also include vector-based screenshot capability it would be brilliant.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Mdriftmeyer,

I'm not sure if you were at apple when they were developing Quicktime X but maybe it's best for me to clarify what's going on with it.

QuickTime X is the new framework project Apple is working on for porting full movie capabilities into a lightweight an processor friendly API. Apple started it for iPhone but as early as 2006 were telling developers to move to QTKit because they would be the ones to benefit from "future improvements".

Later on, they told us why: Apple was porting iPhone's low power movie playing software to the mac to make movie playing far more efficient and lightweight - for all developers.

People should stop thinking of Quicktime X as a player and more as the framework that Quicktime player uses. Apple's said they're "beginning" to roll with QuickTime X - Snow leopard is the playback section. Next will be Quicktime's editing capabilities. Unfortunately, because iPhone is driving QuickTime X development, and because playback was all that was needed up until now, there was no need to clean up the editing API at this time.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

This will just lead to widespread copyright infringement.

That horse left the barn a long time ago.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by supremedesigner View Post

Well, not only snapz but other programs such as LiteSwitch X (tabbing), Lil Snitch (apple now included blocking thing), and other countless programs I cannot remember.

Does anyone know if these apps are being bought and integrated rather than just being in competition with them? In the (good) old days Apple would buy up popular shareware and integrate it into the operating system. As far as I can recall, it happened to Window Shade, and even iTunes (originally SoundJam). This was beneficial for both parties.

It would be a shame if Apple didn't buy and integrate Little Snitch because it is a brilliantly executed piece of software.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by modular View Post

no it wont. the ability to screen capture has been around for a while. this will hurt snapz pro sales, and thats about it.

Not necessarily, I suspect the screen capture will not be part of the Mac architecture up front, you will likely have to purchase pro version of quicktime to get that feature.

Quicktime Pro is more than a screen capture app so companies making screen capture apps should be fine, they may just loose a few people who intend to get quicktime pro & thus will no longer need another app for screen capture.

Course it's all speculation, guess we will see.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Does anyone know if these apps are being bought and integrated rather than just being in competition with them? In the (good) old days Apple would buy up popular shareware and integrate it into the operating system. As far as I can recall, it happened to Window Shade, and even iTunes (originally SoundJam). This was beneficial for both parties.

It would be a shame if Apple didn't buy and integrate Little Snitch because it is a brilliantly executed piece of software.

They have to be unique or very useful for Apple to purchase. Latest purchases are Coverflow and CUPS printing. Apple wouldn't purchase an app for altruistic reasons if they knew they could easily create their own version.

I'm looking to invest in a screenrecording features and I'll need more than what's included with Quicktime X to do it in the manner that I want.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Well holy shit, Mr. I-Know-It's-A-Service-And-Not-Some-Exclusive-QuickTime-Player-Feature. Are you breaking an NDA and killing bothans to get this information or are you just guessing like the rest of us?

If it's indeed a service or part of the framework and available to developers, give us some evidence.

BTW, you still haven't explained how OpenCL is dependent on OpenGL 3.1. Methinks you're just blowing a lot of hot air as usual.

I think his guess might be on the basis that there are features in OpenGL 3.1 which OpenCL requires; I don't think that is correct though given that OpenCL is loosely based on Nvidia's own technology (and thus Apple's sudden swerve to Nvidia) which is before OpenGL 3.1 was evenbeing planned.

With that being said, I'd love to see Snow Leopard get OpenGL 3.1 given that it includes a new audio standard - will that mean OpenGL will finally have a complete drop in replacement for DirectX soon? I hope so

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NzE2Nw
  • Reply 37 of 47
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

QuickTime X -- along with the minimal-interfaced QuickTime X Player -- leverages media technology pioneered by Apple for the iPhone OS. When it makes its debut on the Mac with Snow Leopard, it'll offer optimized support for modern audio and video formats resulting in extremely efficient media playback, the company has said.

Let's hope that QuickTime X offers support for modern lossless audio formats like Flac, WavePack and Ape. At present, only Apple lossless is supported if you want lossless audio.

• Reply 38 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Let's hope that QuickTime X offers support for modern lossless audio formats like Flac, WavePack and Ape. At present, only Apple lossless is supported if you want lossless audio.

Are these codecs completely royalty free and without any legal issues whatsoever as to who actually owns them?

While it's a slight inconvenience, especially to new users who just don't know better, installing Perian isn't a big deal for getting the most common codecs for playback. But I don't think it even covers those lossless codecs. So how common are these codecs? Can you find these codecs on the internet so you can install into your QuickTime folder to get support?
  • Reply 39 of 47
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I believe Apple doesn't support FLAC and Ogg Vorbis because of lack of Patent indemnity. People love to sue Apple for anything so they're at risk moreso than smaller companies.

Since I don't bounce around with music devices I don't really have a need for FLAC but I would like to see more modern video support like MKV and DIVX.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    This is less, adding features to an application, as it is the next step in video functionality going beyond applications.

QT was and is great and ground breaking, but you can see that video and media are not going to require opening an app, selecting a file and then seeing a fake media player screen sitting on your desktop. Video is going to become as persistent and foundational to the OS as the cursor/pointer.

You will be moving a video window around, not a QT window around. You will manipulate video from your iSight to the screen itself without all the bells and whistles that have traditionally been required. The HUD effects in this new QT and in iPhoto and other apps foreshadow a future intelligent OS that predicts what you need to do with media and gives you the services without having to worry about the last century metaphor of opening an app. That is what the core services are about and what the iPhone and later tablet interfaces will get to. We are just on a step in that direction.

Now, there will always be a place for apps like Photoshop and SnapZ when you have a job and you want to create something beyond the basics, but simple display (QuickView and Coverflow), manipulation (iPhoto HUD) and sharing (email, YouTube, Twitter, etc.) of information and media will all become OS jobs, not traditional application jobs. Recording will just be the latest functionality to this feature set.