New unibody macbook shut down problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Something strange is happening. I just purchased a new macbook from amazon and everythign seemed fine. But when the battery went down to about 2%, I plugged in the power source and the battery indicator said "not charging." Then after awhile, it just shut down.

So I tried taking the battery out and running it just off power source and after about 15 seconds, the computer just shuts down. If I leave the power and battery both plugged over night, the battery does recharge.

Today I went to the Apple Store. I asked him to take out the battery while the power was plugged in and immediately the computer shut down.The genius told me that the new unibody macbooks can't run off just power source cause it needs extra voltage. This seems like a strange idea to me.

Anyways, he checked out everything and couldn't find anything wrong with it because of course the problem could not be duplicated with the battery charged. He checked the console and didn't find anything wrong.

Any ideas what's happening? Is it true that with the new macbooks that if you run it only power source without the battery that the computer won't power up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    jxfreakjxfreak Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jxfreak View Post

Something strange is happening. I just purchased a new macbook from amazon and everythign seemed fine. But when the battery went down to about 2%, I plugged in the power source and the battery indicator said "not charging." Then after awhile, it just shut down.

So I tried taking the battery out and running it just off power source and after about 15 seconds, the computer just shuts down. If I leave the power and battery both plugged over night, the battery does recharge.

Today I went to the Apple Store. I asked him to take out the battery while the power was plugged in and immediately the computer shut down.The genius told me that the new unibody macbooks can't run off just power source cause it needs extra voltage. This seems like a strange idea to me.

Anyways, he checked out everything and couldn't find anything wrong with it because of course the problem could not be duplicated with the battery charged. He checked the console and didn't find anything wrong.

Any ideas what's happening? Is it true that with the new macbooks that if you run it only power source without the battery that the computer won't power up?

Can anyone confirm if the unibody macbooks can run off just the power source without the battery?

Thanks!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jxfreak View Post

Can anyone confirm if the unibody macbooks can run off just the power source without the battery?

Thanks!

Yes, and it can also run off the powersource with the batteries.