imac G5 display broken... Any suggestions

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I work as a Apple tech for a large high school.. so i am reasonably adept at computer repair. I have a 20" imac G5 (original.. no isight) at home that I primarily use as a repository for my digital life. It is attached to a large firewire drive to increase it's storage capacity.

Recently I began having display trouble with it. These problems have now gotten worse and has made this machine virtually unusable. There are horizontal lines running thru the display very rapidly.. you can't actually see anything on the screen.

Using a VNC connection, I was able to view and control the mac remotely... so I know it is working fine otherwise. I made an immediate backup of all data on the internal drive to an external drive.

Since I knew there was an extended warranty on this model for display issues (I have already had the power supply replaced under warranty) I called Apple support and they agreed to replace the logic board (midplane) of the computer. I had to transport it to our local computer repair shop as I am not a 'certified tech'.

Certified techs at the store replaced the midplane.. but this did not solve the problem. They tell me it is the display itself that is damaged... and Apple won't cover this. I guess this is understandable.. but frustrating!

The repair for the screen would be over $600. Not worth it I think.

I have not yet fired up the broken mac since getting it back from the repair shop.. I plan on bringing it into work and plugging in an external monitor to see if that works.

Given my needs for a machine that mostly just holds data... what should I do? Keep using this machine (if the external monitor works)... buy a mac mini and attach it to my television for a little media center action?.... other ideas??

I mostly work on a G4 powerbook... and rarely make the trip to my basement office to use the imac... with a young child and plenty of household duties... I just get too busy to hang out down in the 'Bat Cave'

Know of anyone who would want to buy a 20" imac g5 with a damaged screen?

Just looking for ideas here.... Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    This is exactly the reason I hate all-in-ones now. My ibook logic board went and as soon as I got it repaired under warranty, I sold it and bought a mac Mini. Although the display wasn't the problem with my laptop, I still have the assurance that I can now use a cheap £30 display and easily replace it if it breaks.

The only downside is that the Mini is nowhere near the speed of a G5. The Intel Mini with native software will be but the graphics card isn't great.

I certainly wouldn't pay that much for a screen when you can probably get a G5 imac off ebay for that.

If you can't get a second display working and you can sacrifice some performance, I'd go for the G4 Mini or Intel Mini. I think my G4 Mini is the best Mac I've ever owned. If they'd just make a slightly better one at a slightly higher price, I'd be very happy.

If you can get a second display working, I'd say to keep using it and maybe just make it face the wall so you can also access your ports easier.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Well... an external screen DOES work. So that's sorta good news. The constant flickering of the main display is irritating.. so having the computer face the wall is not bad idea.

Here's what I'm considering doing. I'm going to try slipping this thing into our entertainment center... face down..an dhooking it up to our television. Since I primarily use this machine as a media 'holder' anyway... this may be a good place to keep it. Right now we only have a standard television... but I tried then whole s-video hookup thing with my laptop the other night and it works well enough.

I'm just worried about heat in this configuration. I hope it will be able to breathe enough inside our entertainment center.

We're thinking about getting an HDTV anyway.. so this may be a good excuse to upgrade.

Now I would just need a remote control for this beast... Keyspan??

Should I get a bluetooth adapter and keyboard and mouse?

I already installed the FrontRow hack.. and that works very well. I do have a USB elgato EyeTV that I could hookup as well... hmnnn maybe this will work out...

Annyone else doing living room hookups have insight to share?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The iMac is designed to be used standing up. If it lies face down, the fans may not be able to get enough air through to cool the machine. Also I am worried about sorts. It may be worth checking the monitor cables inside and unplug them to completely disable the screen. (both power and signal)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Hi

Is your iMac G5 a Rev. A model as I have had the logic board replaced for exactly the same problems. It came down to leaky capacitors which mine had 6 of .

This is what has caused the screen issues generally.

You maybe able to have it repaired under the extended repair program by apple as this is a knon problem.

Rob
  • Reply 5 of 8
    First, thanks for your comments!

Ebby, I am also concerned about heat. My first attempt found the imac shutting down rapidly after powering it on. I believe I had blocked the air ports on the back. After some additional messing around with positioning, the problem disapperared. I am monitoring the CPU temp with a widget.. and it is hovering around 145 degrees Fareheit. Any thoughts on this temperature? Sound about right? I also changed the energy saver settings to set the CPU performance to automatic rather than highest.

As far as disconnecting the screen... what is your concern with that? Any real need to do this? I suppose there would be some heat savings there.. but any other reason? I certainly don't want a fire. ;-)

Apple ha stated there is nothing more they will do to repair this screen... the logic board has already been replaced. I'm not upset about that... just disappointed.

After having some success with this machine as a media center.. I am considering buying a mac mini for this purpose. This setup is kind of slick the way it is now... but with an Apple remote and a nice small form factor.. this could be even better.

The wife kinda shrugged when she got home from shopping and saw this setup.. I think she knew it would happen eventually. :-)

Now I will just need to finally break down and buy a nice HDTV. I'm just worried about our two year old poking at the screen.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Oh yeah... I plunked an isight on top of the tv as well. Looks kinda cool. My wife is not too sure about that move... but it's staying there until my son finds a way to grab it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    lebonlebon Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by npynenberg View Post

I work as a Apple tech for a large high school.. so i am reasonably adept at computer repair. I have a 20" imac G5 (original.. no isight) at home that I primarily use as a repository for my digital life. It is attached to a large firewire drive to increase it's storage capacity.

Recently I began having display trouble with it. These problems have now gotten worse and has made this machine virtually unusable. There are horizontal lines running thru the display very rapidly.. you can't actually see anything on the screen.

Using a VNC connection, I was able to view and control the mac remotely... so I know it is working fine otherwise. I made an immediate backup of all data on the internal drive to an external drive.

Since I knew there was an extended warranty on this model for display issues (I have already had the power supply replaced under warranty) I called Apple support and they agreed to replace the logic board (midplane) of the computer. I had to transport it to our local computer repair shop as I am not a 'certified tech'.

Certified techs at the store replaced the midplane.. but this did not solve the problem. They tell me it is the display itself that is damaged... and Apple won't cover this. I guess this is understandable.. but frustrating!

I have not yet fired up the broken mac since getting it back from the repair shop.. I plan on bringing it into work and plugging in an external monitor to see if that works.

Given my needs for a machine that mostly just holds data... what should I do? Keep using this machine (if the external monitor works)... buy a mac mini and attach it to my television for a little media center action?.... other ideas??

I mostly work on a G4 powerbook... and rarely make the trip to my basement office to use the imac... with a young child and plenty of household duties... I just get too busy to hang out down in the 'Bat Cave'

Pls i can buy that machine from u. However if u still want to replace the screen, and if really it's iMAC g5, the check out this link.http://pchealth.bintime.com/product_...ucts_id=119671
  • Reply 8 of 8
    lebonlebon Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by npynenberg View Post

re LM171W02(TL)(B2), OR LM171W02(TL)(B1) check it out here pls, it is ?351. Pls i can buy that machine from u. However if u still want to replace the screen, and if really it's iMAC g5, the check out this link.http://pchealth.ie/product_...ucts_id=119671