need advise, buying refurbished macbook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm thinking of buying a refurbished macbook aluminum 2.4 model. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with buying refurbished macs and if it's risky. Also, since iLife 09 just came out, could I expect it to come with my refurbished macbook, or would I have to buy that? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by homelessfrog View Post

Also, since iLife 09 just came out, could I expect it to come with my refurbished macbook, or would I have to buy that? Thanks for any advice.

I can't speak from experience for the quality of refurbished macs, but I do know that iLife will come with your macbook. I was looking at the 2.0GHz refurb on apple's website recently, and when I asked one of their online apple store reps about iLife 09 he said it was included.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ghstmarsghstmars Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by homelessfrog View Post

I'm thinking of buying a refurbished macbook aluminum 2.4 model. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with buying refurbished macs and if it's risky. Also, since iLife 09 just came out, could I expect it to come with my refurbished macbook, or would I have to buy that? Thanks for any advice.

i have purchased 6 macs refurbished in 5 years (2 imacs, 4 notebooks ) and they come brand with the exception of you getting a brown box instead of a flashy one. Sometimes i think apple has that section to clear inventory and they do not make these more obvious in order to not affect their image. Apple does not have a sale section, they have a refurbished one. they come with all the software and warranty, and you can also buy them applecare.. Bottom line, by all means get a refurbished with no worries, all my friends do it and they are even cheaper than the educational price... go for it.

typing this on a macbook SR refurbished, and it never misses a beat.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    I've seen a refurb MacBook and for all money it was brand new. It's not like they can sell you damaged or marked stock. If you do receive anything damaged simply call them up and arrange to have it replaced. Most of the Macs on the refurb page are recently discontinued models that they can no longer sell as new even though they probably are. I would certainly never pay retail when a big saving can be made on refurb.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    anna2009anna2009 Posts: 18member
    YES AND NO 10.4 AND 10.5 ARE WAY DIFFERANT U WANT 10.5 BUT OTHER WISE YES A REFURB IS A CERTIFIED USED ONE.Apple does a great job refurbishing their computers.

Just make sure the job was not done by a guy in his moms basement.