Help with a home wireless network

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a:

20" imac

new macbook

ps3

iphone

Im trying to set up a home network where i can file transfer, but Im having trouble even finding some info about how to do it. Anyone have any information for me please? I have DSL service (16mb/s) and a wireless router, but I dont know what steps to take. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    easy... though the iPhone and PS3 only support 802.11g, so streaming HD video isn't really an option

on the 2 Mac's, you'll only need to enable sharing in System Preferences.

The iPhone doesn't really have any file-sharing ability outside of the iTunes (or other Apps) interface, but it will be able to access your internet connection over WiFi.

The PS3 is the toughest one... I just use a USB stick when I want to transfer files to/from it... but... a little App called MediaLink by Nullriver allows me to stream content from my Mac to the PS3 wirelessly... easy to set up and the entire iTunes library (music and video) as well as media in any other shared folders are accessible from the PS3.

Just having the PS3 access the internet (for gaming/store/etc) is simple though.

The problem is that the PS3 is somewhat limited in what codecs it can interpret... many .avi and .mp4 files that play just fine on the Mac are unsupported on the PS3. Of course, you can always use Handbrake to transcode them to a friendlier codec/format.

So the question becomes... what, exactly, is it that you need help with?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    pb1300pb1300 Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

easy... though the iPhone and PS3 only support 802.11g, so streaming HD video isn't really an option

on the 2 Mac's, you'll only need to enable sharing in System Preferences.

The iPhone doesn't really have any file-sharing ability outside of the iTunes (or other Apps) interface, but it will be able to access your internet connection over WiFi.

The PS3 is the toughest one... I just use a USB stick when I want to transfer files to/from it... but... a little App called MediaLink by Nullriver allows me to stream content from my Mac to the PS3 wirelessly... easy to set up and the entire iTunes library (music and video) as well as media in any other shared folders are accessible from the PS3.

Just having the PS3 access the internet (for gaming/store/etc) is simple though.

The problem is that the PS3 is somewhat limited in what codecs it can interpret... many .avi and .mp4 files that play just fine on the Mac are unsupported on the PS3. Of course, you can always use Handbrake to transcode them to a friendlier codec/format.

So the question becomes... what, exactly, is it that you need help with?

I guess Im stuck trying to figure out how to share anything between the two macs. I read I can use something called Teleport for the macs, and I found something for the PS3 as well, but I guess I just need some help getting started. Once I pick it up, I should be good to go.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Finder ... SIdebar ... the macs with sharing enabled and on the same network will show up there and you can access it's hard-drive just as if you were sitting at THAT mac.

(Teleport isn't about file-sharing)

I almost feel like I'm feeding a troll here, ... but ... my 6 year old was able to figure this out by himself ...