Apple building YouTube support into Snow Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple will further its endorsement of YouTube and open video standards by building support for the Google-owned video sharing service into one of its flagship applications due to ship later this summer as part of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

On the heels of screen recording discoveries in the upcoming version of QuickTime X Player, people familiar with betas of the media player software say a handful of video sharing options will also be rolled into the release.

In particular, the application will let users take any supported video file and upload it directly to YouTube. Users will be prompted to enter their YouTube username and password, and QuickTime X Player will take care of the rest. This includes converting the movie into a file optimized for the video sharing service and then uploading it to the appropriate user account.

Of course, Apple will also offer a similar option for users of its own MobileMe service that will take video files and upload them to a MobileMe Gallery. Both options are reportedly accessible via a new "Share" menu in the QuickTime X Player interface.

That same menu will also see the relocation of several video saving options currently tucked away in the "Export..." dialog of QuickTime Player 7.6, such as exporting videos in formats suited for playback on iPhones, iPods, and Apple TV. In these cases, videos will be converted to their appropriate format and added to the user's iTunes library, where they'll then sync to the various media devices.

With the arrival of YouTube support in QuickTime X Player, Apple will offer built-in support for the third-party video service across all three of its core business segments. The Cupertino-based electronics maker made YouTube a staple of its iPhone experience from the onset with a custom application for browsing videos on the service and later added similar capabilities to its Apple TV set-top-box.

Google, which owns and operates the YouTube service, has been one of Apple's strongest allies in pushing adoption of open Web standards. As part of its agreement with the iPhone maker to include a YouTube application on the touch-screen handset, the search giant agreed to begin converting its vast video archive from Adobe's proprietary Flash format to the H.264 standard.

An artist's mockup the YouTube video upload dialog included in betas of QuickTime X Player

The partnership has helped strengthen Apple's argument against the need for a version of Flash capable of running on its multi-touch platform, as it wants those device to remain free of any dependence on Adobe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 87
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    this should be part of iTunes functionality... That seems logical, doesn't that? Otherwise, why no support for Dailymotion.com is planned?
  • Reply 2 of 87
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'm waiting for the day they give YouTube a full iTunes tab, to browse, rate and download videos into iTunes from iTunes.

Oh, and I'm also waiting for them to rewrite the behemoth that is iTunes. I have one of the most powerful iMacs and I cannot even scroll through my app screen without sluggishness. Launching the app takes way too long. Considering how important this app is to Apple, and how much perfectionists they normally seems to be, iTunes at this stage is a hog.
  • Reply 3 of 87
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    What happens if Silverlight from Microsoft overtakes Flash and becomes the standard on the web?
  • Reply 4 of 87
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

this should be part of iTunes functionality... That seems logical, doesn't that? Otherwise, why no support for Dailymotion.com is planned?

it would be a little bit more seamless but itunes is kind of bloated already
  • Reply 5 of 87
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Oh, and I'm also waiting for them to rewrite the behemoth that is iTunes. I have one of the most powerful iMacs and I cannot even scroll through my app screen without sluggishness. Launching the app takes way too long. Considering how important this app is to Apple, and how much perfectionists they normally seems to be, iTunes at this stage is a hog.

Really? I find mine, dare I say it... quite snappy. On my most recent iMac (office) I don't have much of a library but at home it is a fair size and there I'm running an ancient g5 iMac. I guess what I consider to be a fair size library however, is to many a laughable pocket size collection of tunes.

Still, application leanness and general snappiness is always a goal worth striving towards.
  • Reply 6 of 87
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

What happens if Silverlight from Microsoft overtakes Flash and becomes the standard on the web?

I think at that point Jesus would have returned, Hell would be frozen over, and Balmer would be going for sex-change surgery so we'd all have a lot more to think about than Silverlight.
  • Reply 7 of 87
    I guess that screenshot means Steve Jobs doesn't mind if we post Ratatouille on YouTube?

We better get right on it!
  • Reply 8 of 87
    What's with the artist mockup? I wouldn't mind a screenshot but you make it sound like you're making it up...
  • Reply 9 of 87
    begbeg Posts: 53member
    Quote:

I'm not even sure Microsoft has enough money to pay off everyone to use Silverlight. They have a huge way to go to even make a dent since flash is so entrenched.

Even when they do pay off someone to use Silverlight it doesn't seem to last long. Such as the MLB.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10098963-93.html

Best care scenario for video IMO is that all these flash sites start using h.264 on the backend to drive their flash players and they are smart enough to serve up the h.264 to iPhone users (having a link/parameter switch to play the h.264 on OS X would be nice also).
  • Reply 10 of 87
    garamondgaramond Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I agree with you SOOOO much! Please, if anyone related to Apple are reading this; please forward the urgent need of a better application for us with 100k+ songs. The sluggishness of the current one is barely usable.
  • Reply 11 of 87
    I'm sure the folks at PiXAR will be thrilled to have Ratatouille available on You Tube.

</sarcasm>
  • Reply 12 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garamond View Post

I agree with you SOOOO much! Please, if anyone related to Apple are reading this; please forward the urgent need of a better application for us with 100k+ songs. The sluggishness of the current one is barely usable.

Unfortunately "people with 100k+ songs" represents less than .1% of iTunes users.

Their efforts will focus on what makes sense for the other 99.9% of their users.
  • Reply 13 of 87
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I like easy youtube support but can someone notify Google to stop making Youtube suck?

The new annoying add overlays and just overall failure of Google to monetize Youtube without resorting to annoying shit is disturbing. Most of the video guys I know have Vimeo accounts.
  • Reply 14 of 87
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Really? I find mine, dare I say it... quite snappy. On my most recent iMac (office) I don't have much of a library but at home it is a fair size and there I'm running an ancient g5 iMac. I guess what I consider to be a fair size library however, is to many a laughable pocket size collection of tunes.

Still, application leanness and general snappiness is always a goal worth striving towards.

While I agree that iTunes needs a complete re-write and a complete re-think as well, it's not sluggish at all on my machine either.

I have over a hundred gigs of music and video and about 50 or 60 apps on top of that (too difficult to find out how much space they take up, but probably an extra half a gig or so.

The apps are also not as large as the videos or the music by any means so if you have scrolling problems related to the amount of apps, then even a moderate movie collection should exhibit even more scrolling problems than that (which you don't mention).

iTunes needs a re-write because it sucks and makes no sense in terms of a tool used to organise the media on your hard drive. Even the name makes no sense. I would bet Apple is working as we speak on a sort of "clean room" implementation of a totally new iTunes product different from the incremental updates we now recieve.

If they aren't, they are seriously dropping the ball. While a new media manager from another source would not capture the market because Apple has that market locked up, it would make iTunes look ridiculous and spur the same kind of re-design that they should already be thinking of.
  • Reply 15 of 87
    I don't see how YouTube or Google has anything to do with open standards. This has nothing to do with making parts of Apple more open and transparent, this is just a further tie into YouTube at the expense of competing services. Again, while this is positive for YouTube users, this is not open. And open standard would an agreed standard between all parties like YouTube, MSN Video etc to receive pushed video from various apps/platforms. Just plain bad reporting on AppleInsider's part to keep pushing this with words such as open and standards.

On the other hand... hopefully it works. I know in iMovie 08, YouTube publishing never worked for me. I haven't tried in 09 yet as I have not made any new videos for YouTube recently.
  • Reply 16 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garamond View Post

I also remember hearing something about a Terminal command to reduce iTunes bloat.

Something like "rm -rdf Music/iTunes/"

*Jusk kidding* don't try this one at home.
  • Reply 17 of 87
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beg View Post

Best care scenario for video IMO is that all these flash sites start using h.264 on the backend to drive their flash players and they are smart enough to serve up the h.264 to iPhone users (having a link/parameter switch to play the h.264 on OS X would be nice also).

Best case scenario would be if they actually had someone competent (or even the uploader) choose the encoding settings on a per-video basis (or accept video without re-encoding). I'm not very fond of macroblocking. And perhaps they could feed High Profile video to computers.
  • Reply 18 of 87
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Just build Safari support into ATV's Take 3 already.
  • Reply 19 of 87
    Quote:

Oh that's a good one!

Adobe is not going to give up their web standard without a fight, and the nice thing is that MS can't just walk into a market anymore and muscle others out. This is a good thing.

However what is even better is the neutral approach, using H.264 - which means different players could use the same base video without re-encoding.
  • Reply 20 of 87
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Har! Don't hold your breath. Early adopters [read "paid"] among content providers are dropping it.