Help!!! two issues

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well... I just committed to buying a fully decked-out MPB 2.9Ghz after my PBG4 died two days ago. I have two concerning issues:

First, the machine died - like I dont get a start up disk registering or hear the HD accessing. No apple logo or question mark... Sometimes I just get a black screen and a single tone. I think the hard drive was ok, since it wont even engage nor will a start-up disc - ie. there is something earlier in path thats not working. I dropped the machine a few days ago and I think I broke the fan as it gets really hot. A day or so later it died, making me thing that something in the hardware was fried. So - I am hoping that I can take the harddrive out and just import all of my email, etc. during installation on the new MBP. I haven't checked that the HD is functional, but the computer has been on its last leg for a while (I was actually holding out for the next generation of MBP in spet? or so, but no dice...) and I assume it's too expensive to fix. I assume I would just have to buy an external chassis. Any opnions on what I need to do for this? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Second, I have an old minolta film scanner that I want to be able to use. Supposedly, it only works on tiger (the prior operating system?). Thus I was told if I partition the harddrive of the new computer I can also install tiger and have some space to burning large size scans from 35mm and medium format. Anybody have an idea of how to do this and how much space is recommened? I would just use the scans in the Leopard part of the computer. And do I have any problems if I later upgrade to the next system (ie. can you just do this in the larger, current partitioned area, rather than the small partition establisehd for scanning?).

Any help with any detail is greatly appreciated. THANKS!!! You can send it to my email address as well as I have no computer except at work - [email protected]

Ben

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Did you drop your new MBP or your old PBG4?

The black screen and single tone (often accompanied by a flashing sleep indicator light) is a hardware error – most often incorrectly seated or faulty RAM.

As for installing Tiger, I doubt you'll be able to install Tiger on a MBP as it will probably require a 10.5.x build and simply won't allow the installation to proceed?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I dropped my old PBG4 - I had been holding out for a new MBP, so I just ordered one. The computer only made a tone once. Usually it is dead. I hear the initial start-up chimes and then nothing engages, nothing is on the screen. It gets very hot and there is no fan that turns on.

As for the Tiger issue... are you sure? I really want to use my Minolta multi scan pro scanner, but it supposedly only works with Tiger and Panther....???? This is a problem...

thanks

Ben Shapiro
  • Reply 3 of 6
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    Try the Minolta web site and see if they have any new drivers that would work with OS X 10.5.xx. I doubt seriously you will be able to install Tiger as that machine was made to run 10.5.xx and is not backwards compatible.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    You could always run the scanner in a Windows VM.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Second, I have an old minolta film scanner that I want to be able to use. Supposedly, it only works on tiger (the prior operating system?). Thus I was told if I partition the harddrive of the new computer I can also install tiger and have some space to burning large size scans from 35mm and medium format. Anybody have an idea of how to do this and how much space is recommened? I would just use the scans in the Leopard part of the computer. And do I have any problems if I later upgrade to the next system (ie. can you just do this in the larger, current partitioned area, rather than the small partition establisehd for scanning?).

Perhaps you can post what the model number is for your scanner. There may be solutions out there that are much better than trying to install an OS version that isn't meant for your new computer.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:

Sometimes I just get a black screen and a single tone.

Since this is before the drive kicks in, it could be faulty Ram. If you have two dimms, you can remove each in turn to see if one is broken. It may also be a damaged logic board in which case it's not worth repairing.

Quote:

I assume I would just have to buy an external chassis. Any opnions on what I need to do for this? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

To transfer stuff from your drive, you would first check what type of drive you have in the machine. if it has a long row of pins, it's a PATA drive. If it has a small plug, it's SATA:

http://www.bestpc.lv/images/sata.jpg

SATA is the top one, PATA is the bottom one in the image. Do a search on ebay for Mac 2.5" SATA enclosure if it's a SATA drive. Search for PATA or IDE otherwise. You should be able to get a cheap USB 2 model.

You basically just drop the drive into one of these and plug it into your new machine.

Quote:

To install Tiger, you would need a 20GB partition. I would check to see if there is a solution for Leopard as you may get 3rd party software like Vuescan to work:

http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00OdKP

I also wouldn't recommend partitioning your drive. Once you copy your stuff from the old hard drive, you can use that to install Tiger on and boot from it for scanning. You can also run Windows via Parallels or VMWare and there will likely be drivers for your scanner, though sometimes USB devices don't work right.