Paradox of paradoxes

Comments

• Reply 101 of 123
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screener View Post

Wow.

Big fan of the Matrix huh?

If you were real you'd know that answer already.

• Reply 102 of 123
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    You will all be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
  • Reply 103 of 123
    screenerscreener Posts: 1,568member
    Banter taken care of,

Quote:

If you're having a relationship within a community based on anonymous participation and you feel any kinship, you should realize that the foundation is virtually non-existent, therefore the kinship is as well.

Kinship (blood relationship) doesn't apply.

The foundation of most boards is commonality in interests, be they politics, design, Macs, etc.

This creates in essence a club every bit as real as any local club.

Quote:

Sort of like wearing your heart on your sleeve, you can do it, it's not wrong, but you're setting yourself up for disappointment and you'll only have yourself to blame.

Happens in "real life" all the time.

Quote:

The inter-world is an abstract virtualization, it's not reality. Getting upset because someone misrepresented themselves is foolish and immature.

What happened in this thread went beyond misrepresentation.

Every forum has their own rules and this one elected to let it pass.

The other forum where the "Hoax" was posted elected to ban him, although not permanently.
  • Reply 104 of 123
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Banter taken care of,

The foundation of most boards is commonality in interests, be they politics, design, Macs, etc.

The other forum where the "Hoax" was posted elected to ban him.

I think you are mistaken. I am still a member on that board. Also that board was formed out of dissatisfaction with this board and how it is run. There was a disagreement and some elected to stay, some elected to go and some of us share custody as it were.

Part of that disagreement was what to do about politics. Over there they simply do not allow any. Most of the threads that even lean in that direction end up locked. There were many deeper issues having to do with ads, spammers, forum software updates, etc. It was resolved with the split.

You note it is like a club. The members of the club got together, made some new rules and voted on them. The vote was hard moderation. After a while some of the members didn't like those rules and elected to break them and suffered the very consequence they previously begged for. Now the club is generally happy but a few members who either lost the vote (as you did) or who have suffered from the results of that vote (as some others have) are continuing to revisit the issue.

If you are that unhappy with the way this board has handled this now 16 month old situation/thread and also had a vote not go the way you wanted, and in addition to that complained about both the previous and current moderator, the real question is, why are you still here?

You note an alternative board and even note that you like how they handle this but yet you sit here and complain rather than going to it. I belong to both "clubs" and engage both according to their rules. You belong to one and have spent months bitching bitterly about its rules. You are allowed to belong to more than one. You are allowed to even go form your own.

I'll tell you what screener. Do a search for some free forums out there. Go to one, call it what you want, make up whatever sub-forums you want and then invite some people to that club. If you invite me with whatever understanding you desire, I'll show up. Make the rules no posts started by me, no moderation and everyone can call anyone every name in the book if you desire.

I'll have no problem with that. If you're the owner and decide you want to ban me, feel free to do it. Invite every single person that you felt was slighted here to participate.

We will have fun. It will be a blast. You can comment on as many 16 month old threads as you like without the strange looks there.
  • Reply 105 of 123
    Fixed my response to Taskiss.
  • Reply 106 of 123
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I think you are mistaken. I am still a member on that board.

You were not permanently banned, but you were banned.
  • Reply 107 of 123
    What the fuck happened to this place?
  • Reply 108 of 123
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:

Kinship is also a group formed of common affinities. Still, that's irrelevant to this discussion because the source of irritation seems to be some event outside the commonality of this specific board, i.e. - the avocation of a particular brand of consumer electronics. It was posted (I believe) in "outsider".
    Quote:

That it happens all the time in RL is irrelevant, misrepresenting oneself happens there all the time, too, and there's no formal social consequence unless you cross well defined boundaries - claiming to be a doctor or lawyer, or used to accomplish some form of criminal activity.

Do you believe everything you read on the Internet? If so, you only have yourself to blame if you're disappointed.
    Quote:

The other forum where the "Hoax" was posted elected to ban him, although not permanently.

Exactly how did it go "beyond misrepresentation"? Was there calculated attempts to cause pain, suffering or ... whatever?

If this site elected to pass, then the site operators here didn't see a problem. If I were to frequent a club that allowed behavior I found distasteful and the proprietors allowed it to continue, I'd leave, since it would obviously be my problem and no one else could rectify it but me.
  • Reply 109 of 123
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Funny... many discussions not in the AppleOutsider threads are still informative, interesting and just occasionally littered with trash talk. And it's a sunny day outside my window.

Personally, I'd penalize the troublemakers with a permanent ban just so they could discover life continues without them on the AI boards.
  • Reply 110 of 123
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    This whole idea that Trumpt was trying to 'control the boards' or take over PO is ridiculous.

If you don't like a topic or don't care for a poster, don't participate in the thread. I do it all the time.

If you find a certain poster really annoying, you use the Ignore function. That's what it's for.

If you want to crawl around in the dark and hatch plans to group-troll this place, you should rightfully be called on it. Claiming that we 'don't know the whole story' isn't going to save face. Either it was done or it wasn't.
  • Reply 111 of 123
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

You were not permanently banned, but you were banned.

The people that started that forum were banned from here.

I fail to see your point.

Quote:

Shawn isn't here to make jokes about your mom any more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Funny... many discussions not in the AppleOutsider threads are still informative, interesting and just occasionally littered with trash talk. And it's a sunny day outside my window.

Personally, I'd penalize the troublemakers with a permanent ban just so they could discover life continues without them on the AI boards.

This has happened several times already though it need not. I don't mind seeing anyone who was banned come back as long as they respect the rules. However it isn't my board and I have no power over such matters.
  • Reply 112 of 123
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

I fail to see your point.

The point is that from reading your post, someone might conclude you were asserting that you weren't banned at all. But you were, and I was simply clarifying the point.
  • Reply 113 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

Kinship is also a group formed of common affinities. Still, that's irrelevant to this discussion because the source of irritation seems to be some event outside the commonality of this specific board, i.e. - the avocation of a particular brand of consumer electronics. It was posted (I believe) in "outsider".That it happens all the time in RL is irrelevant, misrepresenting oneself happens there all the time, too, and there's no formal social consequence unless you cross well defined boundaries - claiming to be a doctor or lawyer, or used to accomplish some form of criminal activity.

Do you believe everything you read on the Internet? If so, you only have yourself to blame if you're disappointed.Exactly how did it go "beyond misrepresentation"? Was there calculated attempts to cause pain, suffering or ... whatever?

If this site elected to pass, then the site operators here didn't see a problem. If I were to frequent a club that allowed behavior I found distasteful and the proprietors allowed it to continue, I'd leave, since it would obviously be my problem and no one else could rectify it but me.

The consequence in the real world is, (asshole, I'll never trust him again.)

Same here, as is the case with most people, they don't like being lied to.

Of course I don't, that's why you check when confronted with a fact that goes against what you believe.

In this case it was impossible, this poster had posted on this board for years and fabricated a scenario that was believable for the purpose of soliciting advice in how to deal with it.

That would be fine, but he took it to the next step and said it was about his situation, knowing, as he posted later, he would be flamed for it.

Calculated, yes.

Taken advantage of, yes.

Pain, no, suffering, no, that makes it okay?

Like I said earlier, the initial post under false pretenses was bad, the reaction to the backlash spoke volumes.

Keeping this alive is, if anything, is a warning to those that think they found a kindred spirit.

As he stated, he doesn't care.

Leaving a forum because of one poster when I find those left to be decent people isn't an option.
  • Reply 114 of 123
    Quote:

Shawn isn't here to make jokes about your mom any more.

Who are you, again?
  • Reply 115 of 123
    Quote:

Who are you, again?

Probably won't get it.
  • Reply 116 of 123
    franksargentfranksargent Posts: 4,694member
    Quote:

Denial is not a river in Egypt. However, try telling that to the Man in the Moon.
  • Reply 117 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

This whole idea that Trumpt was trying to 'control the boards' or take over PO is ridiculous.

If you don't like a topic or don't care for a poster, don't participate in the thread. I do it all the time.

If you find a certain poster really annoying, you use the Ignore function. That's what it's for.

If you want to crawl around in the dark and hatch plans to group-troll this place, you should rightfully be called on it. Claiming that we 'don't know the whole story' isn't going to save face. Either it was done or it wasn't.

White meets Black
  • Reply 118 of 123
    Quote:

The consequence in the real world is, (asshole, I'll never trust him again.)

Same here, as is the case with most people, they don't like being lied to.

Of course I don't, that's why you check when confronted with a fact that goes against what you believe.

In this case it was impossible, this poster had posted on this board for years and fabricated a scenario that was believable for the purpose of soliciting advice in how to deal with it.

That would be fine, but he took it to the next step and said it was about his situation, knowing, as he posted later, he would be flamed for it.

Calculated, yes.

Taken advantage of, yes.

Pain, no, suffering, no, that makes it okay?

Like I said earlier, the initial post under false pretenses was bad, the reaction to the backlash spoke volumes.

Keeping this alive is, if anything, is a warning to those that think they found a kindred spirit.

As he stated, he doesn't care.

Leaving a forum because of one poster when I find those left to be decent people isn't an option.

Thank you.
  • Reply 119 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Thank you.

You are welcome.

Surprised nothing has been deleted yet.
  • Reply 120 of 123
    Quote:

You are welcome.

Surprised nothing has been deleted yet.

I just call it vanishings.

I'm now in the habit of saving anything I say at length that contains actual objective factual information.

It may not live on in PO.

But it is alive, kicking and screaming, on my HD.

And I am one with, and at peace with, the world.

Peace.