Apple rumored in talks for Verizon budget phone, media tablet

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The heat is stepping up for AT&T with word of negotiations to bring an Apple budget phone and a media tablet to Verizon, one of which may show its face within just a few months.

Already rumored chatting with Apple over an iPhone for 2010, Verizon is now claimed by BusinessWeek to have been in discussions for at least six months to bring the two mystery devices to its network, one of which could be ready as early as the summer while both are reportedly in the prototype stage.

The first is simply characterized as an "iPhone lite" and would be a physically smaller, thinner and feature-reduced version of Apple's distinctive handset. It would achieve the effect by using a system-on-a-chip -- a processor that combines its necessary graphics core, controllers and other components on a single chip package -- and would let Apple "blow away" the profit margins on the existing iPhone as well as the Verizon-exclusive BlackBerry Storm, according to one of the magazine's sources.

The second device is potentially more revolutionary and appears to be the tablet-like device first leaked by AppleInsider a year and a half ago. It's envisioned as a "media pad" with HD video, music and photos, but it would also allow calls over Wi-Fi. Purportedly, it's smaller than the Amazon Kindle in overall size but has a larger touchscreen, suggesting the absence of a physical keyboard. One of the tipsters also believes it may use the same system-on-a-chip technology as the mini iPhone to keep costs down.

A description such as this matches more than one report of Apple ordering batches of 10-inch touchscreens from Taiwan. Whatever its actual features, the purported eyewitness of a prototype tablet is excited about it and envisions Verizon dominating a relatively undeveloped segment overnight.

"The media pad category might go to Verizon," the viewer says. "We are talking about a device where people will say, 'Damn, why didn't we do this?' Apple is probably going to define the damn category."

While the accuracy of the product descriptions isn't known, Verizon's wireless chief Lowell McAdam has recently confirmed that he has spoken with Apple's Steve Jobs. The iPhone maker's co-founder is rumored to have been directly involved with the negotiations and, supposedly, would have already talked with McAdam about at least the economy "iPhone-like" device.

Either potentially flies in the face of Apple's own public statements on its support for Verizon's network, which until its move to 4G won't be interoperable with AT&T's. On the subject of a CDMA iPhone, Apple COO and acting CEO Tim Cook swatted aside the possibility by claiming there's no long-term life in the format and that it made the prospect of selling one device worldwide difficult. The executive also praised the existing relationship with AT&T.

Still, it's difficult at this stage to determine how much of even Apple's public statements are accurate. The company has been known in the past to use dismissive talk as a feint until a product is ready, such as for the first video-capable iPod and the original iPhone. The magazine also speculates that Apple may use talks with Verizon as a bargaining chip to squeeze more concessions out of AT&T, which itself has been pushing for iPhone exclusivity through 2011.

Appropriately, the report has any possible Apple-Verizon deal relatively distant and maintains that the discussions only got hot in the recent past -- complicating any predictions about a likely release date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 94
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Bleh. Give me the Pad without the phone company... just like the iPod touch. $%&@!!!
  • Reply 2 of 94
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Oh my frackin gawd!

So Apple can't sell iphones that work on verizon....at least not yet. Ok fine.

Hows about Apple circumventing that AT&T exclusivity deal by developing totally new mobile devices that are NOT iphones?

Ya know, I was foolin around with that idea but didn't pay it any mind until now.

iTablet

iphone nano.

Its actually gonna happen!

All the naysayers can not be found because they have all shrunk into microscopic size!!
  • Reply 3 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    An iPhone Lite that is considerably lesser than the iPhone that AT&T sells in all major areas is the only way I can see Verizon getting it. Mainly because it would mean that Apple found a loophole in the contract or it's a device that AT&T wouldn't feel threatened by.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Bleh. Give me the Pad without the phone company... just like the iPod touch. $%&@!!!

I can't imagine any such device that doesn't have a connection to a carrier. Since it will be larger than a phone, I think going the route of Apple's original Airport card with a proprietary slot might work. You can buy the GSM/WCDMA or the CDMA/CDMA2000 card for it. Perhaps even a subsidy from the carrier if you go through them with contract.

Though, I don't expect either of these to appear. I think the MacBook Mini, Apple's expensive "netbook" that they'll never refer to as a netbook, is more likely.
  • Reply 4 of 94
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

All the naysayers can not be found because they have all shrunk into microscopic size!!

Maybe, maybe not, we'll have to wait and see
  • Reply 5 of 94
    I'll believe it when I see it
  • Reply 6 of 94
    You may never know, hopefully Apple focuses its iPhone on its key wireless provider AT&T. I have a 16GB iPhone 3G and I'm happy with AT&T's service. This may be just speculation, only time will tell.
  • Reply 7 of 94
    I don't know about all this.. I would be *FURIOUS* if Apple releases an iPhone on Verizon that is is some half-ass cheapo version of the "real" iPhone.

Other issues:

- There is nothing new with using a "system-on-a-chip". EVERY cellphone on the market uses one. It simply refers to having the basic components of the system all on one integrated chip like the processor core(s), memory, graphics controller, network capabilities, and I/O system.

- Why would a tablet even come up in reference to Verizon if it doesn't have normal phone functionality or at least a built-in EVDO 3G data card?
  • Reply 8 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

There is nothing new with using a "system-on-a-chip". EVERY cellphone on the market uses one. It simply refers to having the basic components of the system all on one integrated chip like the processor core(s), memory, graphics controller, network capabilities, and I/O system.

Maybe we'll finally get to see the fruits of the P.A. Semi purchase.
  • Reply 9 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

maybe, maybe not, we'll have to wait and see

lol
  • Reply 10 of 94
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Apple is likely to say everything is good with AT&T and they have no reason to change the relationship till they have everything else signed and ready to go on the market. They like their secrecy and to do otherwise might cause people to put off purchases till the new carrier (and likely newer product) is available. It's the same reason they do not pre-announce computers. There may be a month or two between the announcement and availability but not much more than that.
  • Reply 11 of 94
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

I don't know about all this.. I would be *FURIOUS* if Apple releases an iPhone on Verizon that is is some half-ass cheapo version of the "real" iPhone.

Other issues:

- There is nothing new with using a "system-on-a-chip". EVERY cellphone on the market uses one. It simply refers to having the basic components of the system all on one integrated chip like the processor core(s), memory, graphics controller, network capabilities, and I/O system.

- Why would a tablet even come up in reference to Verizon if it doesn't have normal phone functionality or at least a built-in EVDO 3G data card?

I would be pissed off at an iPhone lite myself. I want a full featured, top of the line iPhone on verizon. I would switch carriers in a second.

The media pad could have a subsidy from verizon and come in at a netbook price ($199-$299). This way apple appeases the netbook market. Chances are though that this will not be running snow leopard but a modified version of the iPhone OS.
  • Reply 12 of 94
    Quote:

Other issues:

Your kidding me......right? Tell me your kidding. This is APPLE we're talking about here. The iphone nano will not be inferior. Its gonna be a different animal. It will not be like a regular iphone but its gonna have features that make it unique and make a person appreciate it for being small and very convenient. Its probably not gonna be a tiny iphone that is compatible with all the app store apps.

Something tells me new apps will have to be written for it. Thats my gut feeling. But I could be wrong.

Ya think Apple didn't put a whole lot of thought into this? And of course there is the iTablet. The fantasy product that will soon become real.

EDIT: Oh yeah, MACTOUCH FTW SUCKAS!!
  • Reply 13 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Your kidding me......right? Tell me your kidding. This is APPLE we're talking about here. The iphone nano will not be inferior. Its gonna be a different animal. It will not be like a regular iphone but its gonna have features that make it unique and make a person appreciate it for being small and very convinient. Its probably not gonna be a tiny iphone that is compatible with all the app store apps.

Something tells me new apps will have to be written for it. Thats my gut feeling.

Ya think Apple didn't put a whole lot of thought into this? And of course there is the iTablet. The fantasy product that will soon become real.

EDIT: Oh yeah, MACTOUCH FTW!!

I don't see how such a device can be smaller considering all of the apps for the iPhone OS are designed around having a 3.5" touchscreen. Fiddling with that size would make many apps incompatible and just a headache for developers.

There will be no "nano" iPhone that compromises on it's core features. And because there are a LOT of features that go into making an iPhone-type product (like the iPod Touch for instance), I really don't see a "nano" iPhone happening. It's more likely that Apple would consider selling older iPhones with greater profit margins than to make up an entirely new product line. There's already enough products below the $299 mark as is without complicating things further.
  • Reply 14 of 94
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Your kidding me......right? Tell me your kidding. This is APPLE we're talking about here. The iphone nano will not be inferior. Its gonna be a different animal. It will not be like a regular iphone but its gonna have features that make it unique and make a person appreciate it for being small and very convenient. Its probably not gonna be a tiny iphone that is compatible with all the app store apps.

Something tells me new apps will have to be written for it. Thats my gut feeling. But I could be wrong.

EDIT: Oh yeah, MACTOUCH FTW SUCKAS!!

Apple isn't readying a device 18-24 months in advance of 2011.
  • Reply 15 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I would be pissed off at an iPhone lite myself. I want a full featured, top of the line iPhone on verizon. I would switch carriers in a second.

The media pad could have a subsidy from verizon and come in at a netbook price ($199-$299). This way apple appeases the netbook market. Chances are though that this will not be running snow leopard but a modified version of the iPhone OS.

Realize people that there will be no iphone for verizon until the generation AFTER the one announced in June. The exclusivity deal with AT&T lasts until 2010 and the negotiations with Verizon about the real iphone on their network (not these 2 new devices being discussed here) won't happen until 2010 (at the earliest).

That is if and only if Verizon is able to stop AT&T from signing an extended exclusivity deal with Apple.

And furthermore that new iphone next year will most likely be a 4G iphone to coincide with 4G network launches from both AT&T and Verizon.
  • Reply 16 of 94
    Quote:

Its probably not gonna be a tiny iphone that is compatible with all the app store apps.

Something tells me new apps will have to be written for it. Thats my gut feeling.

That may not be your gut, it may just be gas.

I guess they could make a purchase of an app for one iPhone be available for you if you get the other iPhone if you switch carriers, and I guess they could make the SDK compile for both types at once, but there is still so much for the developer to do to ft for different displays and other HW. But more importantly, I can't see Apple with their mindset to make a new device that requires a completely different App Store and apps.
  • Reply 17 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Apple isn't readying a device 18-24 months in advance of 2011.

Not talking about 4G iphones here. We are talking about mobile devices that are NOT iphones that can certainly be debuted this June.
  • Reply 18 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That may not be your gut, it may just be gas.

I guess they could make a purchase of an app for one iPhone be available for you if you get the other iPhone if you switch carriers, and I guess they could make the SDK compile for both types at once, but there is still so much for the developer to do to ft for different displays and other HW. But more importantly, I can't see Apple with their mindset to make a new device that requires a completely different App Store and apps.

Lets see what did I have for dinner.

On a low carb wrap heated til it was just slightly crispy....baked chicken strips which I massaged in olive oil and garlic and rosemary, stir fried bulb scallions with shitake mushrooms, sliced avacado.

For a side I quickly chopped a potato into wedges which I also lightly covered with olive oil and topped with spicy cumin and cayenne......baked crisp to perfection in 15 min on "broil". When I'm hungry I cook.

A generous dose of hot sauce on the baked "fries" and dinner was served. Ya know.............it really coulda been gas. =/

Still enjoyed it though!
  • Reply 19 of 94
    Quote:

Realize people that there will be no iphone for verizon until the generation AFTER the one announced in June. The exclusivity deal with AT&T lasts until 2010 and the negotiations with Verizon about the real iphone on their network (not these 2 new devices being discussed here) won't happen until 2010 (at the earliest).

That is if and only if Verizon is able to stop AT&T from signing an extended exclusivity deal with AT&T.

And furthermore that new iphone next year will most likely be a 4G iphone to coincide with 4G network launches from both AT&T and Verizon.

1) AT&T isn't launching their "4G" network until 2011.

2) Apple is unlikely to use brand new "4G" chipsets in a device in 2010, probably citing battery life concerns. Same reasoning Apple used in 2007 with the original iPhone not having 3G, and proven when the iPhone 3G had *gasp* less battery life.

3) A company like Apple isn't going to roll out a device on an unproven network infrastructure. It's just bound to cause problems.

If anything, I'd expect a 4G iPhone maybe 2011, 2012 at the latest. Apple can afford to wait as long as it wants to because, AT&T's 3G HSPA+ network will still be quite competitive with whatever Verizon's LTE network will have in 2010. Since speed is all that matters for most people (not the actual technology used), most people won't really care whether they're on 3G, 4G, or 10G.
  • Reply 20 of 94
    Quote:

Neither AT&T nor Verizon will have a viable LTE network next year. AT&T has no plans to even start putting one up for years. The iPhone 3G currently has HSDPA, the next one will likely have HSUPA. Next year it will likely have faster HSUPA radios and in 1-3 years get HSPA+, depending on such chips are available with a workable size and efficiency, and when AT&T gets it up and running. There is so much more life in "3G", we are just at the beginning of it all.

For a point of reference, 3GPP still hasn't finished the LTE standards and the HSUPA that the iPhone should be getting this year now that technology is viable was ratified by the 3GPP in 2004. It's going to be awhile until there are cellphones with LTE chips, yet people will complain this summer when it doesn't happen.