Apple rumored in talks for Verizon budget phone, media tablet

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Realize people that there will be no iphone for verizon until the generation AFTER the one announced in June. The exclusivity deal with AT&T lasts until 2010 and the negotiations with Verizon about the real iphone on their network (not these 2 new devices being discussed here) won't happen until 2010 (at the earliest).

That is if and only if Verizon is able to stop AT&T from signing an extended exclusivity deal with AT&T.

And furthermore that new iphone next year will most likely be a 4G iphone to coincide with 4G network launches from both AT&T and Verizon.

I already know all of this but if these rumors are true it will leave me just short of what I want. I live in NYC and AT&T sucks compared to Verizon in coverage. My contract ends in July. If an iphone lite is offered it would force me to continue with AT&T. I want all the new features offered in OS 3.0 andnot a hamstrung version for Verizon.

I can assure that apple wants to end the exclusive deals. The iPhone will have high market penetration if it is only on one carrier. There is no deal that AT&T can offer that will compensate for this.
  • Reply 22 of 94
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That may not be your gut, it may just be gas.

I guess they could make a purchase of an app for one iPhone be available for you if you get the other iPhone if you switch carriers, and I guess they could make the SDK compile for both types at once, but there is still so much for the developer to do to ft for different displays and other HW. But more importantly, I can't see Apple with their mindset to make a new device that requires a completely different App Store and apps.

Same App store but just a different section. Two new sections will be needed in fact. One for the nano and one for the tablet.

The iTunes (terrible name now) sections sorely needs a reorganization anyway.
  • Reply 23 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

1) AT&T isn't launching their "4G" network until 2011.

2) Apple is unlikely to use brand new "4G" chipsets in a device in 2010, probably citing battery life concerns. Same reasoning Apple used in 2007 with the original iPhone not having 3G, and proven when the iPhone 3G had *gasp* less battery life.

3) A company like Apple isn't going to roll out a device on an unproven network infrastructure. It's just bound to cause problems.

If anything, I'd expect a 4G iPhone maybe 2011, 2012 at the latest. Apple can afford to wait as long as it wants to because, AT&T's 3G HSPA+ network will still be quite competitive with whatever Verizon's LTE network will have in 2010. Since speed is all that matters for most people (not the actual technology used), most people won't really care whether they're on 3G, 4G, or 10G.

AT the end of my post I meant Verizon needs to stop AT&T from signing an extended exclusivity deal with Apple. I just corrected it.

LOL I said AT&T with AT&T.
  • Reply 24 of 94
    Quote:

Neither AT&T nor Verizon will have a viable LTE network next year. AT&T has no plans to even start putting one up for years. The iPhone 3G currently has HSDPA, the next one will likely have HSUPA. Next year it will likely have faster HSUPA radios and in 1-3 years get HSPA+, depending on such chips are available with a workable size and efficiency, and when AT&T gets it up and running. There is so much more life in "3G", we are just at the beginning of it all.

For a point of reference, 3GPP still hasn't finished the LTE standards and the HSUPA that the iPhone should be getting this year now that technology is viable was ratified by the 3GPP in 2004. It's going to be awhile until there are cellphones with LTE chips, yet people will complain this summer when it doesn't happen.

The talk is that the Apple negotiations with Verizon might be a move not only to get a better deal with AT&T but to encourage AT&T to accelerate their mobile plans. AT&T might not have a choice but to do so. I hope this is a kick in the backsides of AT&T.
  • Reply 25 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I already know all of this but if these rumors are true it will leave me just short of what I want. I live in NYC and AT&T sucks compared to Verizon in coverage. My contract ends in July. If an iphone lite is offered it would force me to continue with AT&T. I want all the new features offered in OS 3.0 andnot a hamstrung version for Verizon.

I can assure that apple wants to end the exclusive deals. The iPhone will have high market penetration if it is only on one carrier. There is no deal that AT&T can offer that will compensate for this.

Your still assuming the iphone nano is going to be some gimped iphone. It might very well be a totally new device with its own merits.

Regardless though, its probably not going to have access to the regular app store apps which you want.

I hear ya. Hey, all of this is Verizon's fault. If that idiot Verizon exec hadn't refused the iphone you wouldn't be feeling it right now. Verizon is struggling now just to be able to say they will have the iphone in 2010.....if they are lucky. Verizon is moving like lightning I bet to get their 4G network up on schedule.

My gut....(burp) feeling says it will be a late 2010 4G network launch in selected cities.
  • Reply 26 of 94
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    This Verizon rumor is being beaten like a rented mule. It's not going to happen. It makes absolutely no sense for Apple to pull a stunt like that with AT&T. And they are certainly not going to make some kind of "crippled" iPhone for Verizon in order to please AT&T. It's not their style. Does anyone remember the "Rokr"?? Apple doesn't do crippled devices.

That's not to say they are going to introduce variants of the iPhone or a tablet. It's just not going to go to another mobile telecom - at least not in the U.S.

Hold your breath until the June announcement. I'm sure someone will be there to catch you.
  • Reply 27 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The talk is that the Apple negotiations with Verizon might be a move not only to get a better deal with AT&T but to encourage AT&T to accelerate their mobile plans. AT&T might not have a choice but to do so. I hope this is a kick in the backsides of AT&T.

There is still no reason to move to 4G. They standard will be ratified this year, there will probably be some pre-release next year at CES of an LTE USB or EC/34 card, whcih probably won't be released in the US. Then other companies will follow. There will be some test areas of LTE and the larger smart phones that get LTE well before Verizon or AT&T has any substantial coverage. This will also be well before the IPhone, one of the smallest smartphones available, gets it.

The technology is just to far ahead to even consider that. Pushing AT&T to up their 3G coverage, their up/down speeds and per node throughput is much more important for the next 5 years.
  • Reply 28 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

This Verizon rumor is being beaten like a rented mule. It's not going to happen. It makes absolutely no sense for Apple to pull a stunt like that with AT&T. And they are certainly not going to make some kind of "crippled" iPhone for Verizon in order to please AT&T. It's not their style. Does anyone remember the "Rokr"?? Apple doesn't do crippled devices.

That's not to say they are going to introduce variants of the iPhone or a tablet. It's just not going to go to another mobile telecom - at least not in the U.S.

Hold you're breath until the June announcement. I'm sure someone will be there to catch you.

No. Its not going to be a crippled iphone. Apple doesn't make a crippled (as in crappy) product.

This new device(s) will most probably be sold on AT&T as well. Its just that it will also be available on Verizon.
  • Reply 29 of 94
    Quote:

There is still no reason to move to 4G. They standard will be ratified this year, there will probably be some pre-release next year at CES of an LTE USB or EC/34 card, whcih probably won't be released in the US. Then other companies will follow. There will be some test areas of LTE and the larger smart phones that get LTE well before Verizon or AT&T has any substantial coverage. This will also be well before the IPhone, one of the smallest smartphones available, gets it.

The technology is just to far ahead to even consider that. Pushing AT&T to up their 3G coverage, their up/down speeds and per node throughput is much more important for the next 5 years.

Nah man. Can't you feel the heat out there? Competition is getting ridiculous now. Expect 4G and 4G devices by mid to late next year from various carriers and manufacturers.

EDIT: Bah, I'm going to bed. I'll argue...errm...debate some more tomorrow.
  • Reply 30 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Bleh. Give me the Pad without the phone company... just like the iPod touch. $%&@!!!

Amen. I really want this Data Tablet without the Cell phone. Cell phones are over rated plus annoying. I do most of my communication by data anyway....

My 2 cents...
  • Reply 31 of 94
    maxmannmaxmann Posts: 85member
    1. a consumer electronics company will always expand R&D investments from a top-of-the-line product (iphone) and exclusive distribution... to spin offs at lower price points for the mass market. it is a given. (See Japanese companies late 70's to end of world)

2. A logical expansion of distribution always follows an introductory exclusive offer in consumer electronics (see ATT). A qualified product category from top down..with, proper marketing... can only grow into a mass market company that apple so proudly changed their name to tell you (see Sony 1980's)

3. The media device is finally coming... and has been worked on for 1.5 years and will not be at all like a net book computer (Apple could have done that two years ago) but will replace some usefulness of both the phone and computer while adding some mobile features and convenience not appreciated in any CE device YET.... and be connected to all wireless carriers via their own plans who want to sell it.... Later on, after being rolled out with ATT.. and maybe the next logical retailer in the USA.. Veriz..

(see expansion of ipod to mass market).

4. the media device is going to be priced for the mass market out of the gate.. with production ramp up defining the expansion to multiple carriers.. it is a given..

5. Steve Jobs will want to introduce the new Media device.. It will be fantastic if he is able to do so!
  • Reply 32 of 94
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

Hold your breath until the June announcement. I'm sure someone will be there to catch you.

I disagree. Verizon has the most subscibers of any carrier and has the best coverage. AT&T would have lost subscribers this quarter if not for the iPhone. AT&T no longer has anything to offer Apple. Any revenue share would not compensate for the amount of subscribers lost by only having one carrier. You would also have to consider the loss off App Store sales as well.

The main goal of the iPhone is to have the dominant share as the ipod does. It can only happen if it is available on multiple carriers. The software now is the most important aspect of the phone now. People are less likely to switch phone OS's if they are going to lose the software they purchased. It is imperative that Apple saturate the market as quickly as possible so people will get into the App Store before the other OS's solidify theirs.

Another advantage is that there will be more competitve pricing and less controversies surrounding apps and their ability to access the data network (ie: slingbox). If conceivably t-mobile got the iPhone as well, they could possibly allow skype over data which would allow them a competitive advantage.

Multiple carriers could only help the future of the iPhone.
  • Reply 33 of 94
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Maybe we'll finally get to see the fruits of the P.A. Semi purchase.

Fingers crossed.

I bet this media thingy is the next big thing in gaming, even if inadvertently.
  • Reply 34 of 94
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    This is all a smokescreen to camouflage what's really going on. No way Apple does any kind of deal with Verizon any time soon.

No way, no how.
  • Reply 35 of 94
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Maybe, maybe not, we'll have to wait and see

Hopenso. AT&T has been raping us with data and text plans and no teether althhuog it can be done, but officially they willnrapenus. Time for alternative. I see a net book with a decent data plan teether and having abiity to watch MLB or Hume while making calls.

All good. Hope it happen. A better device to bring to toilet. LOL. Even better if you can dick with a device fir more CPU GPU performance. Something you can add to any mac for more power. Long live macs.
  • Reply 36 of 94
    mercury7mercury7 Posts: 203member
    I would bet the media tablet will not be exclusive to verizon, both att and verizon will subsidize it....I also would say the obvious, it will definitely have a 3g sim card/laptop style modem, otherwise it is just a big ipod touch and there would be no reason for verizon or att to sell it.

the iphone nano for verizon (or what ever you want to call it)I doubt will be available before January. and if such a product does exist it will still have a 3.5 inch screen, it will just be trimmed down.....there is absolutely no way apple will relese the iphone nano or a media tablet with out 100% compatibility with the current app store. The app store success is now driving all product releases for the foreseeable future. 1 billion downloads in a year...wow!

the interesting part will be to see how apple scales up the applications for the media tablet.
  • Reply 37 of 94
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    My Verizon contract is up in Sept and wouldn't this be fantastic to get an iPad.
  • Reply 38 of 94
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

. Does anyone remember the "Rokr"?? Apple doesn't do crippled devices.

Rokr was a Motorola device not Apple.

MacBookAir and AppleTV are both crippled Appled devices.

Having said that:

Bring on the Verizon iPad!
  • Reply 39 of 94
    Quote:

Nah man. Can't you feel the heat out there? Competition is getting ridiculous now. Expect 4G and 4G devices by mid to late next year from various carriers and manufacturers.

EDIT: Bah, I'm going to bed. I'll argue...errm...debate some more tomorrow.

For the sake of argument, what does it take to build out a network? Can you say why a 3G network can not use 2G equipment. Obviously you have some insight that others are missing and maybe you can explain how networks are built and why it will be done so quickly.
  • Reply 40 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

.....wouldn't this be fantastic to get an iPad.

I hope it's named something else.....