Microsoft looking to launch iPhone rival on Verizon's network

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Microsoft Corp. plans to take aim at Apple's iPhone with its own version of a touch-screen handset that could launch on Verizon's network sometime early in 2010, according to a report published just minutes ago by the Wall Street Journal.

Citing people familiar with the matter, the financial publication said the two companies are currently discussing possible terms of the deal. It adds that Microsoft has been working on its own touch-screen smartphone hardware under the code-name "Pink."

The project would reportedly leverage and then extend upon Microsoft's existing Windows Mobile operating system, adding new capabilities that would undoubtedly mirror many of Apple's advances in the mobile space, including the Windows Marketplace for Mobile -- a clone of Apple's App Store.

"While Microsoft is involved in the design of the phone's software and hardware,*a third-party*is expected to*make the device, just as Google Inc. has worked closely with partners to make handsets based on its Android operating system," the report says. No further details were reported.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 147
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    Okay, okay...that's the best joke I've heard all day.
  • Reply 2 of 147
    I wonder if M$ has ever had an original idea in its entire existence?

No wonder their stock is stuck in the gutter-innovation is something that has seemed to fled them many years ago.

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, M$ must really LOVE APPLE
  • Reply 3 of 147
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    i wonder if the "People familiar with the matter" are the same "people familiar with the matter" of Apple talking to Verizon for the last six months about giving them a version of the iphone/netbook/tablet.
  • Reply 4 of 147
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Maybe those negotiations between Verizon and Apple aren't going so well.
  • Reply 5 of 147
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    OOoooohhhh- a ZuneFune!
  • Reply 6 of 147
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The project would reportedly leverage and then extend upon Microsoft's existing Windows Mobile operating system

Right there, that's when the project garnered a guaranteed fail.
  • Reply 7 of 147
    htoellehtoelle Posts: 89member
    If this was not so pathetic it would be laughable. Or in Mr Balmers own words "we are going to give our users a more Mac like experience". I suppose he forgot that to do so he would have to copy mac again. Really it is quite sad. By the way what is the name of this device Zune Phone.

HT
  • Reply 8 of 147
    Yeah, I don't put it past their hardware division to deliver a quality product.

The question really is: how much corporate meddling from the other side harms the end result.

And an iphone competitor is just too high-profile. Even if they could build something that wasn't just a glossy coat of paint on stock Mobile 7, it'd wind up gimped by policy decisions and partner deals like the Zune.
  • Reply 9 of 147
    imatimat Posts: 208member
    This really smells desperation!!

Unbelievable. MS is the biggest case of "wannabe" I have ever seen in my life.

If it is true I do hope industry and consumers realize what MS is all about.

MSs business model is a failure in my opinion, and it is becoming more and more evident each day.
  • Reply 10 of 147
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    If MS runs true to form, they'll approach this as if their client were Verizon, not end-users.

So they'll be explaining to Verizon that they make a much better partner than those dirty fucking hippies over at Apple, because, why, yes, they'd be more than happy to have their phone do exactly what Verizon would like, look however Verizon would like, and use whatever services Verizon deems appropriate.

Which is actually the difference between Apple and MS, in a nutshell, and why Apple isn't selling a phone on Verizon, at the moment.
  • Reply 11 of 147
    zuPhone?

Pls grant me a trade mark on that one!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by htoelle View Post

If this was not so pathetic it would be laughable. Or in Mr Balmers own words "we are going to give our users a more Mac like experience". I suppose he forgot that to do so he would have to copy mac again. Really it is quite sad. By the way what is the name of this device Zune Phone.

HT

• Reply 12 of 147
    It's really amazing that a company like Microsoft gets by with almost zero innovation. So far the management gets by because of those profitable upgrades they force on Biz IT. But just as the ponzi schemes from the wall street types collapsed in time I would guess at some point the Microsoft management will be held accountable for what they have done. And that is go through amazing amounts of RandD and come up with nothing - but to copy another companies products.

This is more then just 'Apple is cool and Microsoft copies them' comment. This is, Microsoft is now officially a very 'goofed' up company that they can't take on a single category of anything and produce an innovative useful product.

I remember Ballmer's disdain for the iPhone. Instead of just saying, 'Yeah. It looks like a cool product, but I'm not sure it will work in the market place. But I give them credit for innovating and creating an ENTIRELY new space in the US market.'

Instead he yelled and spouted hyperbole and acted like it meant nothing. No matter if you like Apple or hate them, the iPhone completely changed the cell phone market overnight.

Microsoft released The Zune.
  • Reply 13 of 147
    alexh4alexh4 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Which is actually the difference between Apple and MS, in a nutshell, and why Apple isn't selling a phone on Verizon, at the moment.

but Apple wont fall to verizon demands hence adding v-cast to the iphone. Microsoft well let verizon run the show, and when there is no profit, microsoft will play the blame game. love how they do business
  • Reply 14 of 147
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Maybe those negotiations between Verizon and Apple aren't going so well.

uhm, why? a cell phone carrier cannot have different brands of phones? look at vodafone or t-mobile (in eu), they carry all of them.
  • Reply 15 of 147
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Awesoooooome!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRLRjKCGHek

And what's up with 'Pink'?

If you're going to copy Apple, at least don't copy the parts that failed.
  • Reply 16 of 147
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark Fearing View Post

...the iPhone completely changed the cell phone market overnight.

Microsoft released The Zune.

I love how you ended your post...
  • Reply 17 of 147
    res08haores08hao Posts: 114member
    I love stories that make microsoft look stupid. Of course, that's not hard to do.

Everybody rejected the dell phone. why is this future piece of shit going to be any different?

anyway, I can't wait to see it, see how badly it sells, see how many problems it has, etc.

does anybody wonder how apple continually and totally recreates whatever it develops?

RIM, a company of faceless and clueless suits, thought making tiny changes to tiny keys was innovation.
  • Reply 18 of 147
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft Corp. plans to take aim at Apple's iPhone with its own version of touch-screen handset ...

Or ....

It could be that the three, mutually incompatible, somewhat-ridiculous-on-the-face-of-it, news stories we have heard in regards Verizon in the last week are all just stuff spewed out by Verizon in order to get some press and make us believe they aren't dead?
  • Reply 19 of 147
    p lp l Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

OOoooohhhh- a ZuneFune!

Zunefune LOL
  • Reply 20 of 147
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Oh how the hatred flies around here. Lets all say the same thing and agree, that makes it right!

First of all, I doubt there's any truth to this. Microsoft has stated for months now they won't make the phone, they'll make the software. Companies like samsung and HTC make the hardware.

Secondly, even if Microsoft DID attempt at a good phone, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THAT PEOPLE? Apple ignited competition! That's awesome. Instead of bashing anyone who comes along and tries to step up to said competition, you should embrace it and hope it drives Apple to deliver an even better product.

Seriously, the level of contempt you people have for Microsoft amazes me. I know they fuck up, but reasoning around here is starting to go beyond facts and more like mere opinion driven by other hateful comments.

Don't hate on competition, embrace it. Root for Microsoft, hope they deliver, because in the long run you'll profit from it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Or ....

It could be that the three, mutually incompatible, somewhat-ridiculous-on-the-face-of-it, news stories we have heard in regards Verizon in the last week are all just stuff spewed out by Verizon in order to get some press and make us believe they aren't dead?

Sounds more plausible to be honest.