Microsoft looking to launch iPhone rival on Verizon's network

Comments

• Reply 21 of 147
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    I have to agree, it sounds like Microsoft is trying to ride on Apple's coat-tails here. Ie. Apple's started some hype and interest in the smartphone market and now Microsoft wants to ride the wave.

I mean you can't blame RIM, Nokia and those already in the market for stepping up, but Microsoft? They didn't even know there was a market!
  • Reply 22 of 147
    They are a glutton for punishment.
  • Reply 23 of 147
    Well, now we know what Engadget fanboys will be hyping up as the iPhone Killer once the Pre comes and goes.
  • Reply 24 of 147
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

I have to agree, it sounds like Microsoft is trying to ride on Apple's coat-tails here. Ie. Apple's started some hype and interest in the smartphone market and now Microsoft wants to ride the wave.

I mean you can't blame RIM, Nokia and those already in the market for stepping up, but Microsoft? They didn't even know there was a market!

Right, microsoft hasn't been involved in smartphones and PPC's at all. Time for them to start right? Oh wait...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

Well, now we know what Engadget fanboys will be hyping up as the iPhone Killer once the Pre comes and goes.

The pre hasn't even come yet, why talk as if it's already a failure?
  • Reply 25 of 147
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

They've had Win Mobile out longer than Apple have had the iPhone.

But Addabox is exactly right in my estimation. MS has catered to carriers and not made a product that appeals to the consumer.

Will they learn this lesson? I don't know.
  • Reply 26 of 147
    From the makers of such high quality products as Edlin, WinCE, and Zune, Microsoft brings you the iPhone killer.. I can't even type it without smirking.
  • Reply 27 of 147
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

but reasoning around here is starting to go beyond facts and more like mere opinion driven by other hateful comments.

Oh, the horror of it all. Members posting their opinions on a user forum. What's next?

Nice language, btw.
  • Reply 28 of 147
    jimerljimerl Posts: 53member
    is this instead of 'origami'? will it have an updated 'BoB' interface? will they be able to sufficiently shrink the 'magic table'? it'll be worth it just to hear ballmer rant about how noone really needs a qwerty keyboard.

<chorus>

fud fud fud fud, fud fud fud fud, fudily fuuuuuuuuud fudfudfud
  • Reply 29 of 147
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Right now: vaporware. Potentially funny vaporware.
  • Reply 30 of 147
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I think something funny is going on with all these rumors coming out, someone is either trying to position Verizon or they are messing with Apple or MS or all them. Obviously, there is lots of focus on the whole smart phone market space and with Apple and RIM showing more promise than most they appear to be trying to take advantage of this some how
  • Reply 31 of 147
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by P L View Post

Zunefune LOL

I pity the Fool who doesn't own a ZuneFune!
  • Reply 32 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

They've had Win Mobile out longer than Apple have had the iPhone.

But Addabox is exactly right in my estimation. MS has catered to carriers and not made a product that appeals to the consumer.

Will they learn this lesson? I don't know.

I hope they do, and I hope Apple has taught them this lesson. Lord knows the hundreds of developers who work to improve windows mobile want them to learn this lesson. One guy even wrote an app called fingersuite where all the menus and messageboxes are replaced with a finger-friendly UI. Hell even HTC had to replace the stock menus in their upcoming phones.

Everyone here is bashing Microsoft for making bad products, but then they are bashing them for trying to improve their products. What's the deal?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

Oh, the horror of it all. Members posting their opinions on a user forum. What's next?

Nice language, btw.

The iphone is such a dumb phone.

Yeah I mean that UI is so simple its for idiots.

You know it's made from cheap parts and then sold at an incredibly inflated price.

Yeah, the iphone is a dumb overpriced piece of crap made for morons by morons!

(see what I did there?)
  • Reply 33 of 147
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Oh how the hatred flies around here........

You're right. You do stink.
  • Reply 34 of 147
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I think something funny is going on with all these rumors coming out, someone is either trying to position Verizon or they are messing with Apple or MS or all them. Obviously, there is lots of focus on the whole smart phone market space and with Apple and RIM showing more promise than most they appear to be trying to take advantage of this some how

All three big rumours have "un-named Verizon employees" at their heart also.
    • Verizon is getting iPhone in 2010

• Verizon is getting iPhone "lite" and an Apple tablet this year

• Verizon is getting zPhone this year.

Sure sounds like something might be going on, but all the rumours make Verizon look snappy and all of them originate with ... Verizon.

Me thinks this is probably just a lot of garble from people at Verizon who know something is happening, don't know exactly what it is, but can't keep it under their hats anyway.
  • Reply 35 of 147
    Totally agree with you

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMat View Post

This really smells desperation!!

Unbelievable. MS is the biggest case of "wannabe" I have ever seen in my life.

If it is true I do hope industry and consumers realize what MS is all about.

MSs business model is a failure in my opinion, and it is becoming more and more evident each day.

• Reply 36 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

You're right. You do stink.

LOL I gotta remember that one. believe it or not, nobody has ever said I stunk because my name says I stink before.

thanks for the reply

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

All three big rumours have "un-named Verizon employees" at their heart also.
    • Verizon is getting iPhone in 2010

• Verizon is getting iPhone "lite" and an Apple tablet this year

• Verizon is getting zPhone this year.

Sure sounds like something might be going on, but all the rumours make Verizon look snappy and all of them originate with ... Verizon.

Me thinks this is probably just a lot of garble from people at Verizon who know something is happening, don't know exactly what it is, but can't keep it under their hats anyway.

I'm starting to like you above anyone else here.

But seriously, you gotta admit, isn't it awesome how these rumors have sparked such lively and intelligent discussions such as this one?
  • Reply 37 of 147
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    This may add credence to the report that Apple is working with Verizon on a smaller iPhone or tablet deal. If Apple tells Verizon: Us or Them - who would Verizon choose - Apple or MS? The fun of an MS deal falling apart because of Apple is almost too much to bear.
  • Reply 38 of 147
    Quote:

Oh how the hatred flies around here. Lets all say the same thing and agree, that makes it right!

First of all, I doubt there's any truth to this. Microsoft has stated for months now they won't make the phone, they'll make the software. Companies like samsung and HTC make the hardware.

Secondly, even if Microsoft DID attempt at a good phone, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THAT PEOPLE? Apple ignited competition! That's awesome. Instead of bashing anyone who comes along and tries to step up to said competition, you should embrace it and hope it drives Apple to deliver an even better product.

Seriously, the level of contempt you people have for Microsoft amazes me. I know they fuck up, but reasoning around here is starting to go beyond facts and more like mere opinion driven by other hateful comments.

Don't hate on competition, embrace it. Root for Microsoft, hope they deliver, because in the long run you'll profit from it.

I agree. The contempt between Apple fanboys and Microsoft fanboys is only out done by the contempt that exists between Conservatives and Liberals here in the States
  • Reply 39 of 147
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Everyone here is bashing Microsoft for making bad products, but then they are bashing them for trying to improve their products. What's the deal?

What's the deal? The deal is that Microsoft is a company devoid of any sense of innovation, and only came to dominate the market because of their highly suspect business practices. There's nothing wrong with improving your products, but you deserve to be mocked when the only reason you're actually bothering with such improvement is because you've already had your ASS thoroughly handed to you by the competition. How many times must Microsoft "miss the boat" on hit products before people realize we no longer need them around?
  • Reply 40 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

I agree. The contempt between Apple fanboys and Microsoft fanboys is only out done by the contempt that exists between Conservatives and Liberals here in the States

I once saw a guy at home depot wearing a t-shirt that said "The only difference between Obama and Osama is a little bs."