Mac OS X 10.5.7 to improve Bluetooth compatibility, stability

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

All Apple had to do was test it with web based emails before sending it out for beta testing. It doesn't work for email, making it useless to use and hence why I am upset. 90% of internet users use EMAIL of some sort. I am sure of this.

The fix is to *type* in the *secure* URL "https://"; so that you don't trigger the redirect script (which seems o go into endless loop or something). You should have no problems after that.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    My sources are saying now that it is more than likely going to be up to two more weeks before this drops, as 9J56 is not the final version - due to ATi video drivers. Sorry folks!
  • Reply 43 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oh-es-Ten View Post

My sources are saying now that it is more than likely going to be up to two more weeks before this drops, as 9J56 is not the final version - due to ATi video drivers. Sorry folks!

Ah damn.. so close :s

How good are your sources ?

Adi
  • Reply 44 of 51
    planktonplankton Posts: 108member
    "up to 2 more weeks ..." could be a day, or 14 days, which doesn't mean much at all.

netkas.org is showing an ATi 4870 on a 10.5.7 install but comments are closed until 10.5.7 drops.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Thanks Oh-Ess-Ten. I have never seen a point update delayed like this. Testing seems to have gone on forever.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Thanks Oh-Ess-Ten. I have never seen a point update delayed like this. Testing seems to have gone on forever.

Perhaps 10.5.7, codenamed Juno, will take 9 months to plop out of Cupertino.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

Sorry, but i think it is pathetic that Apple still is stonewalling proper Blu-Ray Support. They are intentionally blocking it at this point. They could license it for the OS, but they won't. Programming it would be the easy part. they need to offer it!!

they only reason why they don't is because they want to push Digital Downloads. which to me the entire thing is ridiculous, Blu-Ray shows Apple love because they support iTunes with Digital Copy, but Apple just doesn't reciprocate at all.

I and many others are delaying Apple Purchases until they support Blu-Ray, infact i need a computer, but i may switch to a Sony and use the Mac Dongle Hack, then install Mac OS X.

And thus you ignore what is required in the operating system for BluRay functionality - so you're asking for Mac OS X to turn into the horrible thing that Windows Vista turned into thanks to 'secure path' and other wonderful goodness courtesy of 'Big Media'(tm)?

Btw, how on earth can you gain anything by buying a Sony laptop with BluRay, install Mac OS X using a dogle - knowing full well that BluRay movies won't be supported. If you want BluRay - purchase and external drive from OWC.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adisor19 View Post

Ah damn.. so close :s

How good are your sources ?

Adi

Been fairly reliable in the past with timeframes. I think more than likely we are looking at closer to 14 days, rather the 1 day mentioned - however this is Apple, and anything is possible!

However it now has become apparent that 10.5.7 has other things under the hood too - Notes Synching to iPhone (Beta 3.0) is only supported with iTunes 8.2 and 10.5.7 it seems...
  • Reply 49 of 51
    Hi!

Is anybody of you a external developer of Mac OS X 10.5.7. I would like to know if two annoying isssues with MobileMe and Mac OS X Mail existing in 10.5.6 have been fixed in 10.5.7. I would be chuffed about a response.

DocHollywood
  • Reply 50 of 51
    My 1st generation MacBook is also randomly losing Bluetooth connectivity for hours, which I only discovered recently, when I purchased a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I have tried every trick in the book (that is, every trick that I could find on the web), to no avail. I tended to think that this was a hardware problem as the log file pointed to a corrupt USB port, on which the Bluetooth connector is supposedly located.

Now I am curious to see if 10.5.7 fixes that problem. Doesn't matter anymore anyway, as I will be picking up my new MacBook Pro this afternoon
  • Reply 51 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HamburgerJung View Post

My 1st generation MacBook is also randomly losing Bluetooth connectivity for hours, which I only discovered recently, when I purchased a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I have tried every trick in the book (that is, every trick that I could find on the web), to no avail. I tended to think that this was a hardware problem as the log file pointed to a corrupt USB port, on which the Bluetooth connector is supposedly located.

Now I am curious to see if 10.5.7 fixes that problem. Doesn't matter anymore anyway, as I will be picking up my new MacBook Pro this afternoon

For what it's worth, I've found OSX's built in bluetooth to be problematic across all of the 9 MacBook Pros and 2 MacBook Airs I've used over the years.

Hoping for the best (10.5.7 + iPhone 3.0), I had preemptively purchased 4 of the best A2DP stereo bluetooth headsets I could get my hands on. I've kept the Sony Ericsson HBH-DS205 because of the fantastic experience I'm having when using them with Vista machines and mobile phones.

Unfortunately, my otherwise flawless MacBook Air delivers terrible audio via A2DP and intermittently freaks out, freezing all bluetooth audio until I reboot.

The sad news is that 10.5.7 shows no improvement.

Over the years I've observed a range of limitations and quirks in the OSX bluetooth implementation that go beyond A2DP (stereo audio). I've also noted that using bluetooth will decrease the stability of weak wi-fi connection... making use of a bluetooth headset and simultaneous internet impossible throughout the upper floors of my house. I love the notebook esthetics, but isn't it possible to reduce radio interference through better placement of the antennas/chipsets?

Having great bluetooth experiences on other platforms and a consistently negative macbook+bluetooth experience, leads me to conclude that Apple needs to get moving on both hardware and software improvements.

Having tried a lot of gear over the years, the first really usable, well designed wireless stereo headsets are here. As mobile telephones are to fixed line telephones... the wireless revolution in personal audio is here. A simple pendant that provides stunning sound and a great microphone with all-day battery life makes the perfect audio interface to our computers, phones, ipods and even televisions.

Will Snow Leopard save my MacBook Air? Will this summer's round of iphones bring music to my wireless ears?

Time will tell. Sigh.