Inside Steve Jobs' abandoned Jackling mansion (photos)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 210
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

I hope that movie wasn't a rental.

• Reply 22 of 210
    The building, like this post, is in such poor taste he should rename it Palestine and await the Caterpillar bulldozers
  • Reply 23 of 210
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Yah, and while we are at it, we should be able to put our parents down when they get too old.

Right. Tearing down an old house equates forced euthanasia.
  • Reply 24 of 210
    isimxisimx Posts: 4member
    That's why he wants it knocked down... - it's haunted!

Anyway - very nice organ! I want
  • Reply 25 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I just love these people who think it is there mission to tell you what you can and can not do with your property. Another example of others dictating what they think is important. It is his damn property let him do with it as he likes.

Like Apple telling you not to jailbreak your iPhone?
  • Reply 26 of 210
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Where is he currently believed to reside?
  • Reply 27 of 210
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    I'll have the chandeliers.

A lick of black/purple paint and some cobwebs and that place would look lovely.
  • Reply 28 of 210
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Like Apple telling you not to jailbreak your iPhone?

• Reply 29 of 210
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

I'll have the chandeliers.

A lick of black/purple paint and some cobwebs and that place would look lovely.

Don't forget to add Elvira.
  • Reply 30 of 210
    citycity Posts: 522member
    The house is not notable (just because it was built by some rick-f), uninhabitable, dysfunctional and obsolete. Woodside should compensate Jobs for the delay plus substantial punitive damages. The historic designations laws were enacted with good intentions, but they became a device to promote other agendas. It's hysterical and disingenuous that they claim it's historic. Are the officials simply romanticizing anything with a tile roof, uneducated (regarding architecture-most dentists don't much about design), jealous, want to stop progress or Microsoft employees?
  • Reply 31 of 210
    Quote:

Yah, and while we are at it, we should be able to put our parents down when they get too old.

Thats by far the most idiotic comparison I have ever heard.

Your comparing putting down a human being as an act of equal meaning

to demolishing an old ''historic'' but clearly badly designed house which is privately owned by Jobs.

And even ''putting someone down'' in my books isnt always a negative thing there is situations thats call for it. thats a whole other can of beans though.

My point is that its a completly faulty point you were making.
  • Reply 32 of 210
    hhhhhh Posts: 2member
    Quote:

house <> human
  • Reply 33 of 210
    websnapwebsnap Posts: 224member
    Quote:

WOW, that's pretty ignorant to equate a run-down house to someone's parents. Wait, did I say ignorant? I meant stupid.

If it is an example of historic building practices, then a historical society should be formed and housed in the building... after the state buy's it back at cost. To force some one to follow those rules with out making them aware prior to purchase is ludicrous. If what he was building was an eye-sore, well, that's one thing... but having to fight to demolish your own building after it's been abandoned for ten years?

Bureaucratic stupidity at it's finest.
  • Reply 34 of 210
    gyokurogyokuro Posts: 83member
    They look like pics from the next Tim Burton movie set.

• Reply 35 of 210
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iSimx View Post

That's why he wants it knocked down... - it's haunted!

Anyway - very nice organ! I want

Somebody already bought the organ from Jobs, evidently. At least according to some guy on the google stock board for apple.
  • Reply 36 of 210
    mav5mav5 Posts: 36member
    If it were up to me, I'd restore it, but not for the purpose of preserving its history. I just think it's an awesome house!
  • Reply 37 of 210
    Has anybody noticed how many people are viewing this thread!

• Reply 38 of 210
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    Alan Kay will take that pipe organ (I believe that's still his only professional affiliation).

There are plenty of people who would and could rehab that place. Steve just isn't one of them.

As for Plan B, good luck disassembling and reassembling a stucco / plaster house. I've lived in two. Close the door too hard and things fall off them.
  • Reply 39 of 210
    This place is CREEPY! No wonder he wants to get rid of it. I'll bet you it's frackin' HAUNTED.
  • Reply 40 of 210
    gto65lgto65l Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...it represents one of the few remaining examples of a Spanish Colonial Revival style home...

Looking at the photos, I understand why. This house if fugly!