Inside Steve Jobs' abandoned Jackling mansion (photos)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

There actually laws governing what you can and cannot do with your personal property - zoning laws, building codes, and such. And in condos or cluster homes there are home owners associations that limit your choices of exterior style and or color and mandate lawn care etc - of course in those cases you should know what you getting into before hand.

Since he got a legal permit to tear down that structure and build another one that should be the end of it. I had to laugh when I read that someone who once lived in that house was leading the charge against its destruction. It is these 11th hour folks who muck up the process - and are they really interested in saving that house or just getting free press for their cause.

I thought this country was founded on the belief that it is okay to have a difference of opinion and no one (or one group) can force its will on the population in general (ever heard of separation of church and state). But then of course we have bans on stem cell research and whatnot. I guess what we are best at now a days is preaching one thing and practicing another. A free market that is not free - separation of church and state that allows religious beliefs to dictate policy etc.

Actually, I believe there was never a ban on stem cell research (at least in the U.S) - it was government funding of stem cell research - or to be more specific, embryonic stem cell research. But either way I agree, he bought it, paid taxes on it, now he should be able to do with it what he wants.
  • Reply 62 of 210
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

4. There have been "offers" to move the building, but none of them were serious, one instance wanted Jobs to provide 15 million of the cost to move it (while the person moving it pays 1 million), another wanted him to guarantee financing to move it. They claim he can declare it on his taxes....so what, that doesn't mean he recoups all the cost.

That's asinine, it sounds like someone got very confused about how deductions work . Like you suggest, a tax deduction on an expense usually doesn't mean the expense is free. A tax deduction if you're at a 30% tax rate still usually means you're out the other 70%.

Wanting Steve to guarantee the loan is likely just be a ruse to stick him with the cost.

Quote:

5. The building, if restored woud have to meet the new California energy laws and other building codes that are in place, including upgrading ALL of the structure to meet the current earthquake codes. This is a 17,000 square foot building. No one has put a number on that yet.

I'd think that the estimates given in the previous article have already factored that in to bolster the argument to tear down the old house.

Which, given the pics, would be a bit of a shame, but I'm not in any position to undertake anything like that either.
  • Reply 63 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I'm pretty sure dumping toxic waste is against the law. Raising pigs would probably depend on the zoning.

Which reinforces the point against what Maestro64 was saying.
  • Reply 64 of 210
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    even if this thing was in pristine condition, it is a pretty ugly house, and it's not even anything truly unique or special in any way.

some rich guy in the 20s built it. beyond that who cares?
  • Reply 65 of 210
    Mr. Jobs would be well advised to to buy another property to build on as he wishes, and renovate Jackling in a way that preserves and surpasses it's former glory. The mansion's bones are apparent from the revealing pics.

There are plenty of creative options for this two pronged approach, and the benefits should be obvious.
  • Reply 66 of 210
    Posts like this that have no relevance on Apple as a company, its products, or rumors, prove to me yet again one thing:

Around here, Jobs is a god.
  • Reply 67 of 210
    Steve and his legal team should have the house tested and any report of mold should be used to demolish the property. It is a serious health issue and "moving" the house to a new location would only cause the mold to be airborne.

We know Steve is not well. Did living in this house for 15 years cause any of his illness? I know the people in Texas that were almost killed by the mold in their house and the husband will never work again due to the brain damage that was caused.
  • Reply 68 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ianhstewart View Post

Steve and his legal team should have the house tested and any report of mold should be used to demolish the property. It is a serious health issue and "moving" the house to a new location would only cause the mold to be airborne.

We know Steve is not well. Did living in this house for 15 years cause any of his illness? I know the people in Texas that were almost killed by the mold in their house and the husband will never work again due to the brain damage that was caused.

I don't think Steve has lived there in the past 20-odd years. I recall it was rented out in the 90's, then left unused and unmaintained for about a decade.
  • Reply 69 of 210
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    As Spanish Revival houses go, this one is really not that great. Some of the custom lighting fixtures and a few other furnishings are sale-able as architectural salvage, but as an historic example of the type, this isn't a good example at all. I don't know whether this was the fault of the architect or his wealthy client. It's usually the latter, as clients often think they know best. Even the tile is so-so. Los Angeles and Santa Barbara have hundreds of houses in this class that are eminently better examples from the period and style. And it's not like the family who owned it were all that important--politically or industrially I mean. I'm all for historic preservation of significant structures, but I am not convinced this is one. I like the idea of moving it if that makes people feel better. It's not in an historic district or zone so no damage there.
  • Reply 70 of 210
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

I hope that movie wasn't a rental.

Genius!
  • Reply 71 of 210
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I like Apple and Steve's doing a great job but methinks thou partaketh in too much koolaid.

• Reply 72 of 210
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    That's a really creepy place. Hollywood should buy it to make horror movies. It looks like a motel from the outside.
  • Reply 73 of 210
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
  • Reply 74 of 210
    eyelesseyeless Posts: 28member
    The house looks kind of cool, but I don't think it should even have been allowed to challenge Jobs decision to tear it down in court, esp. not when he already had received a permit to do so. But I guess the only place someone ever does something in the US is sitting in the courts suing each others ... . Seems like if this trend is continuing, then Apple would be better off suing other companies than trying to create something ... . /Jerry
  • Reply 75 of 210
    Not that this has anything to do with Apple (any more than this whole thread...)

I don't believe the whole "mold" thing that people are talking about. Mold is a naturally occurring organism. Its actually everywhere. A healthy immune system has no issues with so-called "toxic-mold".

Who does profit from this over-hyped sham are new-home builders and mold "remediation" experts who want you to spend untold thousands on duct-vacuuming etc.

But, especially the new-home builders, who try to convince you suckers that you need to buy a house built in the last 5 years in order to be safe from mold spores. They are trying to turn the real-estate market into the throw-away market that has become the norm for all other consumer goods...

So lets tear down all the houses from the 80's and earlier and all live in nice new constructions, eh?

Fricken' suburbanites...
  • Reply 76 of 210
    I can see why he wants to get rid of it. There is no Mac, and no wifi router. I would not want to live there either.
  • Reply 77 of 210
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    good taste in movies, however i don't really care about steve jobs or his house...
  • Reply 78 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fiddlin'man View Post

Not that this has anything to do with Apple (any more than this whole thread...)

I don't believe the whole "mold" thing that people are talking about. Mold is a naturally occurring organism. Its actually everywhere. A healthy immune system has no issues with so-called "toxic-mold".

Who does profit from this over-hyped sham are new-home builders and mold "remediation" experts who want you to spend untold thousands on duct-vacuuming etc.

But, especially the new-home builders, who try to convince you suckers that you need to buy a house built in the last 5 years in order to be safe from mold spores. They are trying to turn the real-estate market into the throw-away market that has become the norm for all other consumer goods...

So lets tear down all the houses from the 80's and earlier and all live in nice new constructions, eh?

Fricken' suburbanites...

If it is sold in the way that you suggest, yes that is a scam, but in the case where the house has been flooded, or left unmaintained in very high humidity, then it might not be. Mold is definitely common and naturally occuring, but it can be dangerous in very high concentrations.

I don't like the idea of needlessly tearing things down, but if bringing it up to code costs more than starting over, then that's a really hard sell. That can be required if it's a historic district, but from what I've heard, it's not.

BTW: I used to live in a house that predates the US Civil War. My parents are still living in it, though they aren't anywhere nearly as old as the house.
  • Reply 79 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Posts like this that have no relevance on Apple as a company, its products, or rumors, prove to me yet again one thing:

So what's your point?
  • Reply 80 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

I like Apple and Steve's doing a great job but methinks thou partaketh in too much koolaid.

Ahem, I think, actually, he was accusing all of us here at AI of that!