Some Help Would Be Appreciated

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello guys. I'm hoping that someone on here could offer some advice. I apologise if a) I sound like a complete layman (it's because I am) and b) if this topic has ever been posted before.

The time has come for me to seek additional data storage. I want all my documents, photos and of course music in one place. I have therefore just purchased a 500gb external hard drive.

I want to know how to transfer all of my MP3s and uncommpressed CD tracks onto the new drive, without iTunes geeting all confused and giving me a little exclaimtion mark on the left hand side of the track!

I have an 'iTunes Music' folder, where all of my CD tracks (C\Documents and Settings\\Mart\\My Documents\\My Music\\iTunes\\iTunes Music) and another folder with downloaded MP3s, information which I hope will not get me kicked off here! (C\Documents and Settings\\Mart\\My Documents\\LimeWire\\Saved).

How do I go about moving my libraries, and do I need to change any settings in iTunes?

As you can see, I'm not all that clued up, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mart.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    skyboltskybolt Posts: 111member
    Here's how you move your music: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449?viewlocale=en_US

Here's how you move your photos: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1229

Hope this helps!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Smells like a spam thread, skybolt.

Be careful with these; a new member posts a question which is soon after answered by another new member who always relates what app it uses.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Smells like a spam thread, skybolt.

Be careful with these; a new member posts a question which is soon after answered by another new member who always relates what app it uses.

No wonder it is so difficult to get help around here.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

No wonder it is so difficult to get help around here.

There were 2 posts above mine from a new user who said when then tried they used such and such software. Those posts have been deleted, so I guess the moderators agreed with my opinion. Have seen lots of these, so I am just calling it as it appears.

The original post remains I guess out of the possibility that it is an honest request for help, which I hope it is. Skybolt answered the question sufficiently; hopefully Mart will become a contributing member.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    I never saw the messages that were removed. It can be difficult to get replies to questions sometimes. People only look at the stuff that interests them. I am a newbie to the Mac, 18 months or so, and even newer to the AppleInsider forum. It can feel awkward (dummy) just reading the posts by you power users. And if we dare to complain 'bout Apple, it is off to the fridge for a pitcher of Kool-Aid. I think one problem here, getting back to the thread, is Apple needs to address the issue that the optical drive does not have enough storage for many of the libraries in iTunes. It is the easiest way to back up the library, you know for us dummies. It would be nice if iTunes asked what you wanted to use as the destination drive, rather than wait for a blank disc. And of course, maybe people should ask their questions in the Genius Bar section.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

I never saw the messages that were removed. It can be difficult to get replies to questions sometimes. People only look at the stuff that interests them. I am a newbie to the Mac, 18 months or so, and even newer to the AppleInsider forum. It can feel awkward (dummy) just reading the posts by you power users. And if we dare to complain 'bout Apple, it is off to the fridge for a pitcher of Kool-Aid. I think one problem here, getting back to the thread, is Apple needs to address the issue that the optical drive does not have enough storage for many of the libraries in iTunes. It is the easiest way to back up the library, you know for us dummies. It would be nice if iTunes asked what you wanted to use as the destination drive, rather than wait for a blank disc. And of course, maybe people should ask their questions in the Genius Bar section.

I'll probably get yelled at here too, but I find that iTunes/iPod is definitely not the be all end all. I tried backing up my iTunes Library before I reformatted my PC and never could get beyond the first of 4 DVDs. It just wouldn't burn the second disc, only play the library. So, I backed up all 2400 or so songs to my external HD, but now it seems to have "lost" authorization to reload my older purchases to my iPod that I just "restored". I hope my posted question will yield some much needed help.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

I'll probably get yelled at here too, but I find that iTunes/iPod is definitely not the be all end all. I tried backing up my iTunes Library before I reformatted my PC and never could get beyond the first of 4 DVDs. It just wouldn't burn the second disc, only play the library. So, I backed up all 2400 or so songs to my external HD, but now it seems to have "lost" authorization to reload my older purchases to my iPod that I just "restored". I hope my posted question will yield some much needed help.

What's the "posted question" ???
  • Reply 8 of 9
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

What's the "posted question" ???

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=97783
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Ah!!... I was thinking there was supposed to be a question somewhere in your post on THIS thread