Filing confirms Apple exploring carbon fiber Mac enclosures

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    A quick search show that recycling of carbon fibre is doable: http://www.netcomposites.co.uk/news.asp?3729

How effective it is, in terms of cost and effort, I don't know.
  • Reply 22 of 88
    I'm guessing this is probably more about design/asthetics and jumping ahead of the competition that loosing 100 grams.
  • Reply 23 of 88
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

That is one helluva lot of work to loose 100 grams!

Well, when buying new pedals for a moderately high end bike, you can pay $100 extra just to loose a few grams. 100 grams seems like a lot in that context...
  • Reply 24 of 88
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:

That is one helluva lot of work to loose 100 grams! For a netbook / tablet /iphone / air type device with built in g3 / g4 technology aluminum is problematic, is it not? The research is an investment in future products, I am sure.

I totally agree. This seems much more likely. We should expect to see this

type of enclosure on a new iTablet or iPhone instead of larger products

like the MBA, etc.
  • Reply 25 of 88
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"In addition, the fibers (either as a unidirectional, woven, or nonwoven substrate) are typically variable in their construction and therefore are variable in their surface presentation," the company says. "As a result, the resulting carbon fiber composite can have cosmetic imperfections that reduce the aesthetic appearance of the molded article formed therefrom.

Also [...] scrim is very thin, and it is translucent, and the underlying fibers of composite are partially visible therethrough," the company explains in more detail. "The combination of resin and scrim forming scrim layer imparts a depth to surface of composite laminate, thereby providing an improved cosmetic surface of a molded article formed therefrom that is not only consistent in appearance, but is also aesthetically pleasing."

I love the use of "therethrough", "therefore", "thereby", and "therefrom" in such

close proximity to one another!
  • Reply 26 of 88
    mbmcavoymbmcavoy Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

Why does everything made from Carbon fiber has to have a freggin glossy cheesey plastic look?

"Carbon Fiber" refers to the type of fabric used, and by itself is flexible and not suitable for structures such as computer cases or Formula 1 cars. It is generally used as a reinforcement embedded within a plastic resin, much like steel bars in concrete. The full name of the composite material is "Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic".

The usual glossy plastic look comes from the fact that the surface is in fact, plastic.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    The only product where this carbon fiber enclosure would make sense would be with the iPhone. It would be better than the current fragile plastic enclosure. Unlike Al, it would not interfere with all the antennas that the product has, including GSM, WCDMA/3G, WiFi, Bluetooth and even GSP.
  • Reply 28 of 88
    It also mentions curing the thermoset resin!

It's all right, we will find out soon, hopefully.
  • Reply 29 of 88
    Apple has never really stated that the plastic back of the device actually is "plastic". In fact, they filed a very interesting patent, #20060268528 for an unusually strong substance described as a ceramic-like hybrid of zirconia and Yttrium hybrid with an added silicon coating applied “on the exterior surface to prevent cracking and protect the ceramic shell from undesirable forces as for example when the ceramic shell is dropped.”
  • Reply 30 of 88
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wally626 View Post

Since the article mentioned cooling the resin below its Tg (edit: and it says it is a thermoplastic resin) , it sounds more like a thermoplastic resin to me. Still tough to recycle with all those carbon fibers in it.

I see were you are coming from ('Tg', I thought the same as you in the beginning), but at the same time they call it prepregs in their filing which would hint to thermosetting resin?

Anyway recycling will be a bitch, unless you call it quits and just decompose it thermally.
  • Reply 31 of 88
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wally626 View Post

Since the article mentioned cooling the resin below its Tg (edit: and it says it is a thermoplastic resin) , it sounds more like a thermoplastic resin to me. Still tough to recycle with all those carbon fibers in it.

It mentions both thermosetting and thermoplastic in the same sentence. I think Appleinsider is rather confused. Resins are thermosetting.

Besides, carbon fiber is old news. If Apple wants to do better and have a recyclable material to boot, they should go with 3D carbon-carbon. Very energy-intensive and expensive to manufacture, but can't do much better than 3D C-C.
  • Reply 32 of 88
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

I love the use of "therethrough", "therefore", "thereby", and "therefrom" in such

close proximity to one another!

Exact and concise expression of ideas make the use of such words requisite and therewith comes clear understanding. Clear understanding is fundamental to fruitful intellectual discourse and thereof conflict is avoided. The ability to impart unambiguous information is an art of reduction and exactitude and therein lies the secret of the great communicators.

There!
  • Reply 33 of 88
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I like those machines with the carbon fiber bottom. The two tone look is stylish. But is shaving 100 grams off the current weight worth the expense?

How much work it takes doesn't seem to be a problem to them. How much work do they do to make their aluminum cases? Don't they start from a 3lb blank?

But I'm not sure if it's a viable material here. In a sheet, aluminum is a lot stiffer than carbon fiber, I think you'd have to add more bracing (and thickness) to make them fill similarly stiff.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davejay View Post

No, no, no, no, no! I like the aluminum! Don't go back to anything that looks plasticky!

The resin is plastic, but the surface finish can be different.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

Working with carbon fiber is nasty. I don't like being around it at all - I worked in aerospace. If Apple is trying to be "green," this would not be the way to go. You need to be covered head to toe to work with the stuff safely. If the carbon fibers get in your skin, it doesn't ever come out. The resins used are also nasty and you don't want them touching your skin. I'd say no thanks to something that is in that close proximity to me on a daily basis.

Of course, breathing aluminum dust is really bad too ....

Machining aluminum doesn't make dust though, it makes chips, even the fine finish pass probably isn't considered dust, and would be kept down just by the flood coolant. Maybe the final texture with whatever blasting they use makes dust, but that can be contained pretty easily.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marokero View Post

Carbon fiber doesn't have to be glossy or cheap looking. High-end tripods and monopods for photography/video, lightweight performance car parts, even boat hulls can be made from carbon fiber, and they aren't glossy. They are only glossy if it's going to be for display purposes. In which case the resin can possibly discolor over time, like carbon fiber hoods and spoilers some people put in their cars.

I wonder if they don't bother to have UV protection in the resin. A simple clear coat might solve that. I think that might be partly a mistake on the buyer's part too, they keep it "naked" to show off that they paid for carbon fiber parts, and that might be the culprit. A layer or two of clear coat can give a look of depth, better UV protection and probably better scratch & scuff protection too.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

"Carbon Fiber" refers to the type of fabric used, and by itself is flexible and not suitable for structures such as computer cases or Formula 1 cars. It is generally used as a reinforcement embedded within a plastic resin, much like steel bars in concrete. The full name of the composite material is "Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic".

The usual glossy plastic look comes from the fact that the surface is in fact, plastic.

Exactly. And IMO, carbon fiber looks absolutely gaudy, mostly due to the woven nature of the fiber which gives it that 3D-ish shiny appearance. Add in the clear plastic resin, which is the most common applique for carbon fiber, and it looks downright ugly. I really don't understand the big deal over it. Sure, its strong, but you have to pair the carbon fiber with another substance to give it a lasting form. Therefore, Apple's implementation would surely be "carbon fiber reinforced [insert material here]." Definitely not plastic.
  • Reply 35 of 88
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    CF would be stronger too, God forbid I ever dropped my Air. The Air that is still at AppleCare for 4 weeks btw. It was taking 10 1/5 hours to charge.
  • Reply 36 of 88
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But is shaving 100 grams off the current weight worth the expense?

Put those 100 grams into more battery. That would be nice.
  • Reply 37 of 88
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How much work it takes doesn't seem to be a problem to them. How much work do they do to make their aluminum cases? Don't they start from a 3lb blank?

But I'm not sure if it's a viable material here. In a sheet, aluminum is a lot stiffer than carbon fiber, I think you'd have to add more bracing (and thickness) to make them fill similarly stiff.

The resin is plastic, but the surface finish can be different.

Machining aluminum doesn't make dust though, it makes chips, even the fine finish pass probably isn't considered dust, and would be kept down just by the flood coolant. Maybe the final texture with whatever blasting they use makes dust, but that can be contained pretty easily.

I wonder if they don't bother to have UV protection in the resin. A simple clear coat might solve that. I think that might be partly a mistake on the buyer's part too, they keep it "naked" to show off that they paid for carbon fiber parts, and that might be the culprit. A layer or two of clear coat can give a look of depth, better UV protection and probably better scratch & scuff protection too.

Apple seems to have a very poor grasp of the technology and its capabilities. More often than not, carbon fiber products have an "exposed" appearance by choice, because people want others to know that it is carbon fiber. If Apple is faulting the materials and fabrication it must certainly be because they are talking to the wrong people. Everything from aircraft to formula one cars to laptop cases have been made from carbon fiber and, with quality workmanship, they are a work of art. Don't like the look? No problem. Aircraft have any number of potential finishes available over the structural component. Apple seem to have no grasp of the strength of the material in view of the number of layers in the filing.

There is absolutely nothing new in what Apple have stated. Nothing at all. They look like fools for claiming that it is.

Want a carbon fiber laptop? Look here for one example.

http://www.immworld.com/acer_ferrari_laptop/

http://www.immworld.com/acer_ferrari_laptop_1000/

P.S. Apple really should copy the slightly curved keyboard that Acer and others have put on their laptops. It is worthwhile.
  • Reply 38 of 88
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

exact and concise expression of ideas make the use of such words requisite and therewith comes clear understanding. Clear understanding is fundamental to fruitful intellectual discourse and thereby conflict is avoided. The ability to impart unambiguous information is an art of reduction and exactitude and therein lies the secret of the great communicators.

There!

ftfy

• Reply 39 of 88
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Exactly. And IMO, carbon fiber looks absolutely gaudy, mostly due to the woven nature of the fiber which gives it that 3D-ish shiny appearance. Add in the clear plastic resin, which is the most common applique for carbon fiber, and it looks downright ugly. I really don't understand the big deal over it. Sure, its strong, but you have to pair the carbon fiber with another substance to give it a lasting form. Therefore, Apple's implementation would surely be "carbon fiber reinforced [insert material here]." Definitely not plastic.

What other material would it reinforce if not plastic? Plastics are a huge class of materials that I wonder if any alternative suggestions you would provide would also be a form of plastic.

And if you don't like the shine, it's easy to give it a more matte appearance or other finish or texture. Your response makes me wonder about those people that go orgasmic over Apple's shiny screens.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Macbook Carbon pic at http://www.carbonfibergear.com/wp-co...cer-laptop.jpg

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBR View Post

...Want a carbon fiber laptop? Look here for one example.

http://www.immworld.com/acer_ferrari_laptop/

http://www.immworld.com/acer_ferrari_laptop_1000/

P.S. Apple really should copy the slightly curved keyboard that Acer and others have put on their laptops. It is worthwhile.